SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tori_thibodeaux57

Need to see more of my house: pruning advice needed!

Tori Thibodeaux
6 years ago

Hello all! I have perpendicular rows of shrubs along the front of my (tiny) rental house. The back row (the shrubs closest to my home) are so tall that they cover the entire front of the house!

Here is a side view, showing the height a bit more clearly. Also showing the path that runs between the 2 rows of shrubs (connecting the driveway and sidewalk).

Lastly here is a picture taken from INSIDE the house, from the window that is located directly behind the largest shrub. The biggest stem/branch (located to the far left) is about 2" in diameter.

My question is WHAT DO I DO? I'm renting, so I don't want to invest a lot of money. But I also plan to be here for several years. The landlord has given us permission to do anything we want as long as they don't have to chip in financially. I prefer to do whatever I'm going to do myself - and not hire help.

I've previously received advice to removed the front row completely and trim the back row, but I don't know that I could trim the back shrubs enough to see the house without killing the plant.

My husband dreams of removing the back row completely, lowering the front row, and planting a bed where the back row used to exist.

I've seen houses that have trimmed their shrubs to look like trees, and I wonder if I could do this with the taller shrubs? In my mind it would create a little 1-2 foot visual gap between front row and back row of shrubs where you'd then be able to see a tiny patch of the house (without loosing ALL of the insulation the tallest shrubs provide from the Texas heat).

Any and all recommendations are useful. But I really am limited to cutting of some type, rather than replacing with other large landscaping or doing anything that would require larger equipment.

THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP!

Comments (9)