SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
atheen_

Need advice to prune my citrus trees

Atheen - 7a - in Maryland, USA
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I need to figure out how to prune my citrus trees before they go full bloom and fruit on me, because once they do I'm going to chicken out and let it go for another season.

So here goes. This is the biggest one of the trees, and shows where I thought I should prune. I read that they will branch out like a "Y" where I cut them, which is why I marked it pretty close to the center. But then again, what do I know? So, some advice would really help.

This is the smallest one. As you can see, the center of this tree is pretty empty and bare. I have no clue how to prune that one, and every single branch already has grapes of flowers on it, so I can't avoid cutting at least some of them if I want to do this. Or should I? Again, I have no clue what I'm doing. All I know is that I want more branches and leaves at the heart of the tree.

One last thing, should I do this now, or wait to put them outside? I was weary on pruning this winter despite reading you could prune citrus all year long, because I felt they needed all their leaves to catch as much good light as possible while inside the house. So is this something I should do now, or a week after putting them outside? I'm afraid to ask the trees for too much at once.

As always, any advice will help. Thank you, and God bless,

Atheen

Comments (7)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals