SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
britwooten

Hardwood question

britwooten
6 years ago

Hi! I posted this in the home building forum and they suggest I post here. I would greatly appreciate any feedback or recommendations you may have!

We built a custom home two years ago this April. We addressed the hardwood floors (pic below) within the 30 day builders warranty as well as the one year warranty but now we are at odds with the builder as to whether the floors are acceptable or not. So my question is this: do you consider these floors within the "normal range of cupped?" I didn't know there was such a thing, but according to our builder there is. We have been under the impression that those floors are not exactly right (although they admittedly could be worse) and have had several people from the flooring company come and look at them and trail us along until the last time (last year) they did a moisture reading and said it was due to moisture under the house. They added a drain in the crawl space but the floors had no change after that. But now (with no change in appearance) the floors suddenly fall within "the normal range of being cupped" and it is just a characteristic of wood floors... "part of their charm." Just wondering if this is true or if they are trying to get out of fixing them. I don't understand why they installed a drain to "fix" floors that are "normal." Seems they would have refused the expense of adding the drain?

They are approximately 2.5 inch, sand on site red oak.

Things have been very amicable with the builder, and still are as of now. I just don't understand why they are now dismissing this as a non-problem (almost two years into it). Why would t they have mentioned this two years ago?

I want to trust them but after going into many houses, I just feel like the floors are either not right or not done well. But I could just be being unrealistic so I wanted to ask your opinion.

Aside from being what I would call cupped (maybe I am wrong), there is one spot in particular in the middle of the living room that is an actual raised bump. It is difficult to take a picture of. It is where two boards meet, maybe 6-8 inches long. They hammered it down with a rubber mallet a while back and it did get a lot better, but it still exists. Also, the long edges of many boards have a light strip where the sander has hit them and not the main part of the boards.

The builder has basically said (today) he thinks they are fine the way they are and so I asked for a neutral third party opinion, to which he said there is no such thing. He said every flooring company that would come out would want the business and therefore tell us they are not correct. I am hoping to get a "neutral opinion" here, or at least get a better understanding if these floors are acceptable or not. Perhaps I am off base!

P.S. I know there is a terrible glare in the pic but it was the best I could get with my phone camera. Sorry!

Comments (11)