SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nippstress

How to seem even goofier to your nongardening neighbors

I blame Bohemian Rhapsody. The rose, not the song, though you'll see that both figure into this.

First the back story. My neighbors are all dear people but they've long since learned to shake their heads in disbelief at me and my gardening habits. It isn't just that every convenient sight line in my yard has a garden along it, all of which are crammed full of roses of course. Or that I haul 8 or 10 big 50 lb. bales of alfalfa hay into my yard each spring and I don't have a horse. Or that I've been known to garden with a flashlight in dress clothes and barefoot when I get home from work (can't get good shoes dirty after all). Or that I've been out gardening every weekend for the last three months, including the days that were 30 degrees and snowing (just last week, no less) or pouring deluges of rain (hey, that's what umbrellas are for). I'm the only one in the neighborhood who hauls leaf bags BACK into my yard from other people's curbs. I have to wear extra baggy t-shirts to cover up the holes in the rear of my favorite ratty gardening shorts, though once I've sat in wet icky soil you can't tell where the shorts stop and the holes start anyway. My neighbors appreciate the "pretty flowers" and love the bouquets I drop by, but you can tell it's all just too much weirdness and work the way I garden.

So anyway, I was starting to plant my usual bulk order of 66 roses from Roses Unlimited this weekend (along with the orders from Heirloom, Rogue Valley, Northland, Chamblees, Cool Roses, etc.), and I was tucking in the very cool blooming plant of Bohemian Rhapsody into a spot by the fence. It's got a vivid very double bloom and looks quite healthy, which is a nice surprise since I haven't heard much about this rose before. While working in the garden, I had some stupid song stuck in my head as we often do - not sure what but something repetitive and annoying like Cake by the Ocean (I blame my teenagers for that one). I tend to drive out annoying songs with good ones, so Bohemian Rhapsody was an obvious choice. Growing up in the 70's means that of COURSE I know all the words, even the obscure ones, and I find that running song lyrics like this in my head can drive out even the dreaded Bad Romance if I really try.

Well, I just get to the interesting part with "Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you do the fandango, thunderbolts of lightning, very very frightening" plus all the Galileos, when I realize to my dismay that I'm singing this out loud at the top of my lungs (the only way to hit the high notes in this song, I fear). I quick turn to check out the sidewalk and breathe a sigh of relief that I'm in the clear. Just then, however, a little five-year-old head pops over the fence and asks in a puzzled voice, "what are you DOING?". I mumble something about singing and quickly change the subject, which she is most happy to do, but I'm fully aware that her mom and dad are also out in the backyard carefully not commenting on anything. Fortunately I sent along another bouquet by said 5-year-old and hopefully that's enough of a distraction to make up for my garden goofiness.

I'm content to be the goofy garden lady but this one was a little over the top even for me. I just planted the Clements rose "Memories" today and I really had to stop myself from channeling Barbra Streisand just in case my mouth got away from me again.

Any goofy looks from your neighbors lately?

Cynthia

Comments (93)