SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilovemytrees

Would you prune your neighbor's trees branches off your property?

ilovemytrees
7 years ago

As many of you know, I live next door to a Xmas tree
farm. I mentioned 3yrs ago that the guy planted a row of his trees on
our property line with him, but guess what? They are now THREE 1/2 feet
onto our property. This is our back yard for pete's sake. This isn't
funny anymore, not that it ever was.

We have to approach this carefully. I've thought of texting him telling
him that I'm planting some shrubs, but his trees are 3ft over the line, and
that it's forcing me to plant shrubs way back into my property, and that it's only going to get worse since his trees are still babies.

I've thought of asking him if he would prune them back to the
line. But we know legally it's our responsibility, not his, to prune
what's on our side. I'm just scared he's going to retaliate and kill my
new plants if I even broach this subject with him.

All this matters now since dh found out how expensive a decent fence
to put up is, he said we needed to go back to screening with plants.
I've already ordered 25 shrubs to do just that. They will grow to be huge, they're
a mix of Viburnums, native to NY, and will get 20-25ft tall, and
they'll be here at the end of March. They'll be bareroot which I can hardly wait to plant...not. But they're much cheaper to buy that way.

If I prune his trees back to the line, it would be akin to cutting
his tree in half vertically. He would go nuts. I know it. He is as
self-entitled as it gets.

Can pruning a Christmas tree's branches just on one side kill a tree?
Yes, it will deform it, but will it kill it? I don't want to get sued over this. What else can I do? It's
not my fault this guy's a jerk and plants trees on the property line.
He's an experienced grower for over 30yrs, he knew exactly
what he was doing when he planted them. It's as if he wants us to
subsidize his tree business by allowing him to plant trees on our
property for free.

Comments (69)

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    7 years ago

Three years ago when the trees were first planted, you told the neighbor that the trees were on your property. "He had one of his workers come and immediately replant them, but right on the line. I wasn't happy, but I felt like saying something again would be obnoxious." Really unfortunate you did not continue to say something to the neighbor at that time. It may have been "obnoxious" to tell them to move the trees for the second time, but each year the trees have grown and the situation has only gotten worse.

Of course I feel for you and you certainly have the right to your property. But if you just go ahead and cut his trees without talking to him first, (thereby damaging them), be ready for him to be really ticked off at you. He will probably retaliate in some way. I have a good friend who has a neighbor from hell. That neighbor hates my friend. This has brought a lot of anxiety to my friend and she has informed police about some of the things he has been doing. She has also installed surveillance cameras as the police have suggested to her. Living with such a neighbor is really unpleasant and even scary at times. It's too bad that you are in this situation. But you have choices to make and those choices will have consequences.

ilovemytrees thanked newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
  • ilovemytrees
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi everyone.

Logan, I would never go on Judge Judy. lol I'm not a masochist! My step brother was once offered to go on Judge Joe Brown's court show for a dispute, this was many years ago, but my step brother declined.

Your neighbor's house could be sold much sooner than 60 years, especially if one of the owner's dies, goes bankrupt, is declared incompetent, a divorce happens etc. These kinds of neighborly agreements blow up in people's faces once new people come into the situation, and now own the property.

I wish you the best of luck.

Kara, thank you for responding. You're so sweet and you made me laugh out loud Welcome to the tree forum! I hope you stay awhile. Well, our fence is going up sooner rather than later since my shrubs order is to arrive in 4 weeks, and the fence has to be up before then, otherwise the shrubs could get trampled on while they're putting it up. Look, I'm a nice person, and I don't want to upset anyone. That's not my thing. In a perfect world I would give "E" a heads up. But I'm afraid with that knowledge ahead of time he could use it to his advantage in some sort of devious way. And he is devious, and sneaky. His mind operates in a different manner than most people.

Hi Newhostalady, thanks for offering up your thoughts and advice. Trust me, a security camera will be installed on the 2nd floor corner of our house facing the fence. It won't be facing our other neighbor's yard at all, only on the fence and my shrubs.

At this moment I'm thinking we can install the fence without trimming the trees. The fence will then be an obvious line of demarcation between our property and his, and at that point I may text him and ask him if he would be willing to trim his branches back off his fence. In reality we're only affecting 7 of his thousands and thousands of trees. Money is not an issue with him. A very famous movie actress who is on TV currently bought IIRC a thousand trees from him several years ago. Semi after semi was coming in and out of the tree farm carrying his trees to this actress to her many acres of land. I don't know how she found his tree farm; we're out in the middle of nowhere.

I don't know, maybe I should tell him we're willing to buy those 7 trees as Xmas trees from him come next Christmas, with the agreement that he plant the next group of saplings back off the line next time. At least our fence will prevent future plantings on the line.

• Related Discussions

Do you prune your tree peonies?

Q

Comments (18)
    I'm having the same issue with my tree peonies after this winter, although not quite as much die-back as others are describing. Are you seeing new shoots from the base? This year I am seeing way more shoots on a good majority of mine than other years. I remember one really, really bad winter with heavy snowfall when one of my large tree peonies had a great number of branches snapped off entirely. I was so bummed when I saw it, but then noticed a whole bunch of new growth from the base and it actually filled in much fuller.
    ...See More

Pruned tree small branches breaking off.

Q

Comments (9)
    If I just saw the picture I'd assume its a healthy tree also. Big trees get seemingly random dead branches, I see one in the picture. No big deal unless it seems higher than years past. "Sprayed pruning seal on all wounds." After pruning you do stand a better chance of infection. Kinda like getting surgery at the hospital. Surgery eliminates your bad gall bladder, but there an increased chance of infection. Add in big trees also don't encapsulate well, even ASSUMING the cuts were made correctly you could have an open wound for a decade so I'm not in theory against sealer. Just don't know what to use. Even though mammals have been healing over cuts for millions of years doctors in the last hundred or so have figured again how to coat wounds in hydrogen peroxide a dab of neosporin, and a bandage. It is my understanding tree medical care after pruning is at a point similar to the medical care George Washington received. Any idea what the guy sprayed on there? Moss removal, is this to lighten the load on the branches or because it didn't fit in with the rest of your yard? I could see damp moss all over a tree not helping it out and the weight of vines doesn't help out my walnuts. I'm further north so we don't get the spanish moss covered live oaks or much similar.
    ...See More

neighbors stubs and damages all my trees on property line

Q

Comments (42)
    Interesting enough, all the anti-neighbor folks assume there must be some city ordinance to prevent offended neighbors from trimming limbs hanging over their property. There seldom is and the police have other matters with which to deal. The police don't handle that. At least not in towns in this area (my own, family's or where rental property is located). It's the Town Code Enforcer who handles it. That's what they get paid to do. My mother's town has strict tree codes (well, they're ultra strict about everything.) If a property owner's tree is overhanging a fence or property line, it can be trimmed back by neighbor providing it is: in danger of touching a building or wires, impeding growth of neighbor's own landscaping, or has potential to do some kind of structural damage on neighbor's premises (fence, buildings, etc.) However, neighbor cannot trim tree in such a way that it will bring on disease, poor growth habit or death. If in doubt, contact the code enforcer for an inspection. I'd suggest you look into that angle, chinchette. If you walk into your town hall, you should freely be given a copy of the code/ordinance that addresses your situation.
    ...See More

Neighbor's tree roots interfering with mother's property

Q

Comments (33)
    +1 on the sawzall. great for cutting roots. but I agree with the other posters, this is not a root problem. it's a drainage/soil/turf problem. curious how two families can live next to each other for almost a half century and not be able to resolve something like this? but you have better/smarter options than to go after the tree. were it my yard I'd landscape that corner with some mulch, maybe a miss kim lilac or an alberta spruce or something, then repair the surrounding turf with some topsoil and one of the newer, hardier seed mixes that can withstand abuse. in anticipation of the "daycare kids and landscaping don't mix" concern, I'll say I have 3 kids under 6, and they do just fine with landscaping. they particularly like to smell the lilacs, viburnums and peonies in spring (even though our peonies don't have much of a smell? little kids like to pretend....). or heck, cover the whole area in rubber playground mulch and put up a swingset.... good luck...
    ...See More
  • Steve Henning
    7 years ago

I had a similar situation. I called the police and they came out and told me that I should go to a district justice and have the dj notify the neighbor that I would be removing all the parts of his plants that were growing over on my property. I told the neighbor what the police said, but I said that I didn't want to do that to him without talking to him. We compromised so that he removed some himself and letting me remove others. In your case, the Christmas trees are near marketable size and will soon be cut. You could legally ruin all of them for Christmas trees, or let him take half and let you take the other half. Then use the money you get to pay for the fence you put in.

• Nevermore44 - 6a
    7 years ago

Maybe you just need to tell him that "half Christmas Trees" are a needed holiday option these days! Solves everyone's problem!

ilovemytrees thanked Nevermore44 - 6a
  • ilovemytrees
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Dh is putting in the 4 ×4 posts today. Apparently, that's all we can do, since we need a building permit to put up our 3ft fence. We had no idea. It's zoned agricultural out here; there's no homeowner's association.

Our next door (the maple guy) neighbor's best friend is the building inspector, so when we told our neighbor a few minutes ago, while we were outside, our plans for today, he nearly jumped for joy. He came to our front door not 5 minutes later with a string, sledgehammer, measuring tape and a level. LOL

He is SO excited about this, because he hates the Xmas guy so much. We'd already tied a string to denote our property lines, but apparently this is some special string he's letting us borrow to make sure the poles are lined up correctly.

So what's going to happen is the building inspector will show up to our house on thursday when he's back in the office, and then he will see the xmas trees are 3ft over the line, and in the way of the fence, and supposively he's going to make Xmas neighbor trim them back.

HA! I'll believe that only when I see it. I don't even think legally the Xmas guy has to trim the branches, since they're on our property, not his.

Dh and I have talked endlessly about this and on Fri night I said let's just buy the 7 xmas trees that are hanging over, and give them to charity. We can do that every 10 yrs or so, and that'll fix the problem. dh said no way! No way are we going to pay for 7 trees at a price of $700, all to keep his trees off our property.

So, here we are, now about to piss off our hothead Xmas neighbor.

At least the maple guy is gleeful.

• Logan L Johnson
    6 years ago

I don't know if it's different where you live, but here you certainly don't need a building permit to put up a fence.

ilovemytrees thanked Logan L Johnson
  • ilovemytrees
    Original Author
    6 years ago

It says on our county website that we do, but I don't think anyone around here actually gets them. However, for sure we are going to get it, tomorrow, because xmas guy will be the first to bring it up. Last summer when we had a huge slab of concrete removed by a contractor (competitor of xmas guy), xmas neighbor pulled up and immediately asked the contractor if he had a permit to do the demo. :<

Half of the poles, 5 of them, are put in and cemented. We had an emergency to take care of over the holiday. We discovered we had a leak in our crawl space, in a water pipe attached to our water pump. It took us 12 hours to fix it, partly because we didn't know what we were doing at first. And it wasn't fun removing that pipe that was probably as old as the house. That took forever. I hope what we did is up to code. I told dh I would ask the inspector, when he comes over, to look at what we did down there and see what he says, but Dh said no way!

DH will finish up the poles this weekend, if the weather cooperates.

• miketropic
    6 years ago

Im at a loss for words. Where do you live again cus I want no part of it. You are being way way to nice about the whole thing. Property cost alot of money and I intend to keep every inch I worked so hard to pay for. If I was in the situation the story would have went much the other way. those trees would have been gone a LOOONG time ago. Again the guy is a bully and you all are letting him get his way. Get an inspector get a lawyer hell buy a chainsaw, do something but don't let him do whatever he wants just out of fear..most bullys stop once confronted..Stand up to him and put a stop to it.

ilovemytrees thanked miketropic
  • User
    6 years ago

the problem is, the xmas tree person mistakes kindness for weakness. you can not be kind to bullies and nasties. you have to stand up and be firm and brook no nonsense when dealing with them. they need to know you will not back down because when you do, they will push you as far as they can.

ilovemytrees thanked User
  • ilovemytrees
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The building inspector stopped by today and shook his head and said what a mess, and that the trees should never have been planted ON the property line. He said if it were him he would chainsaw each and every one of them down, right at ground level. He called the xmas guy on the phone right then and there, and apparently the xmas guy flipped out.

At the end of the call xmas guy agreed to look at the trees. The inspector told me that if the xmas guy doesn't do anything about them then we need to file a complaint and then it goes to the judge. I said how long will you give him to do something about the trees, and he said if by the time he sees him next Thursday, if he hasn't done anything, then it will be time to file a complaint.

The inspector said the xmas guy is an absolute jerk, that he can't stand him, and that he is a bully, and he always has nothing but problems with him.

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

How frustrating! Your neighbor knew exactly what he was doing when he planted those threes on that line. I'm sure he just thought you wouldn't make a fuss out of it. I agree with what Ingeorgia said he mistakes kindness for weakness! His property is getting bigger as yours is shrinking.

ilovemytrees thanked Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
  • ilovemytrees
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We've gone outside and taken pictures and video of ALL our property stakes, to show where they are in relation to the trees and our 4x4's, in case he gets the urge to move them. I've seen enough Fear Thy Neighbor to know that is not outside the realm of possibility.

His malignant narcissistic personality disorder knows no bounds. He flips out over people who want to merely put a picket fence up on their OWN property, in which he's intruding on. He's nuts.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    6 years ago

Thanks for posting an update! I'm emotionally involved now (I hate your xmas guy too) so please let us know how it turns out!

ilovemytrees thanked littlebug zone 5 Missouri
  • jalcon
    6 years ago

I'm not sure how else to say it....

Tell your husband to grow some balls and cut those babies down :)

• ilovemytrees
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I will. Thank you for your support. I appreciate it. He's on probation, so if he does anything to our property he's going (back) to jail.

• ilovemytrees
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Jalcon, if we do that he will sue us for the value of those 7 trees, which is a total of $700. My husband has his job to consider, so he can't halfhazzardly destroy someone's property like that. We have to go through the proper legal channels.

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

That's what sucks about your problem. He's your neighbor and could literally make your life a living hell. You've got to play your cards right. I'm sure it would feel amazing to go out there with a chainsaw and cut them down to nothing, but who knows what he would do to you. Your neighbor seems vindictive on top of everything. Your going about it the right way. You have to live with this Ahole, and it's not like you will never see him again.

Goodluck:).

• jalcon
    6 years ago

How can he sue you? They are on your property. If there was an imaginary wall from your property line to the sky, shear off everything that crosses it. I hear you though, and your way is probably more civil. You guys are handling it better than I would, kudos.

ilovemytrees thanked jalcon
  • Logan L Johnson
    6 years ago

It isn't illegal to cut down a tree on your property, regardless to whom it was placed there by.

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

I get the vibe this guy is super vindictive. He may not sue her, but her dog may mysteriously end up dead or missing. Idk if she has a dog, but I was just giving an example:). Did you guys read This?

• ilovemytrees
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Jalcon, 2 of the trees have trunks that are on our property..... just ever so barely, but the other 5 trunks are on the property line. We can cut all the branches up to the trunk though, beause of that.

There is no doubt this guy will do nothing for the next week, thus making us wait to build the actual fence. At least we are holding him accountable, and we did it through the proper channels. We are putting a camera up this week end, in case he gets the urge to kill any of my plants.

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

I just read my dad your story. He's a pretty level headed Libra:). His advice is, you're going through the right channels, and just make him think the ball is in his court. But it's really in yours. Document everything, which I'm sure you're doing.

My dad had a tree issue with a neighbor years ago. They were Palm trees tho:). Ironically the trees ended up falling over on the neighbors side. Haha:).

Cameras are a great idea. Now you can hold his balls over the fire if he does anything nasty to your plants:).

• Logan L Johnson
    6 years ago

Lol, I have split tree trunks before in situations like this. Although, the owner of the trees did not retaliate.

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

That's funny:)! That would good if you didn't tell him and started cutting down the trees. He comes out like a maniac and you just hand him a hand written note from mommy and daddy:).

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

Let's hope Jr. doesn't talk his way out of this. Goodluck:).

• Logan L Johnson
    6 years ago

Get written permission from the property owner.

• ilovemytrees
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That's not how they operate. The father is well known in this area. His handshake or verbal permission is worth its weight in gold. I'm not worried about that at all.

• Logan L Johnson
    6 years ago

Well, I suppose the xmas guy can't sue you, since he doesn't own the property..........

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

Oh boy and the count down begins:).

• KennsWoods
    6 years ago

I don't know about NY, but in TN a tree on the property line belongs to both parties equally, whether planted or naturally growing. If that is your case and the trees are ON the line, and by that I mean that if any part of the trunk is touching the line, you own half interest, and neither party can remove the tree without the other's consent. In TN the law also states that if you do anything to damage a tree even though you have the right to remove anything on your side, you are liable. So if the trunks of the trees are on his side, and you remove or damage branches hanging over your side and ruin them as Xmas trees, you lose. A crappy situation.

ilovemytrees thanked KennsWoods
  • Logan L Johnson
    6 years ago

You should've left the one on your side until Christmas, then, free christmas tree, Lol. Good job, though. I would've lost my patience and cut them long ago.

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

Looks good:)!Too bad it isn't Christmas. This is considering you celebrate Christmas:). You could have Christmas trees in every room of your house:)!

Do you think the parents gave Jr. the heads up? Maybe he's at his therapist's office on a special Sunday appointment;). Hopefully.

Mmmm I bet it smells good:).

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

Well the fact that you're pretty sure Jr. hasn't been warned, tells a lot about him and his parents relationship. He's probably been a piece of work the day he was born;).

Sometimes anticlimactic is good. Especially when dealing with certain people, but the good thing is you're prepared. It's definitely a good thing he wasn't around when they were being cut. Made the process quick and easy.

He has nobody to blame but himself.

I can't wait to see the finished product:).

• ilovemytrees
    Original Author
    6 years ago

You are so sweet, Kara! He won't blame himself, he always blames other people.

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

I'm with my dad now. I told him you cut the trees down today and showed him your pic. He said smiling "Looks good! Well she had the threes cut down by 12pm, and dead by 6pm;)". He was totally joking about the dead by 6 btw:).

So everybody has your back even tho we're not physically there:).

• ilovemytrees
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Update: :(

15 minutes ago, xmas guy drove by, then 5 minutes later he drove by from the other direction, then blared his horn full blast the entire length of our property. Its safe to say he wasn't warned. We were inside the house and saw him do it.

We're going to text him later on and tell him his dad gave us full permission. It may ratchet down his anger, or maybe not.

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

That's funny:)! At least you guys weren't outside:). I would think he's called his parents by now, but maybe not. Sounds like they don't have the best relationship.

Idk if I would say anything. May open a can of worms. Then again texting him may direct his anger towards his parents instead of you, and with his parents there's nothing he can really do.

• Logan L Johnson
    6 years ago

I have like 8 fake trees, so it wouldn't bother me either, Lol.

• miketropic
    6 years ago

ahh the end of this story really made my day LOL

ilovemytrees thanked miketropic
  • ilovemytrees
    Original Author
    6 years ago

He is suing my husband and I, AND his parents! That is all I'm going to say for now.

• jalcon
    6 years ago

He won't do crap. Empty threat. He has no legality to do anything. Don't worry about it. But I WOULD have cameras set up outside and document everything that goes in with this guy! GL.

ilovemytrees thanked jalcon
  • Logan L Johnson
    6 years ago

He has no legs to stand on. I agree with jalcon, put up some cameras and don't worry about it.

• ilovemytrees
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We talked to 4 lawyers today, and they ALL said his lawsuit would be considered frivolous, and that his case would be thrown out. And none of them believe he will actually go through with suing us. One of them called the xmas guy an idiot for even considering suing. One lawyer said our case would be a "simple" matter to handle, only one day of work @ $750. I talked to him at length. Basically, he would say to dismiss the case against us since we made an agreement with the property owner, and if the son had any theoretical agreement it would only be with his parents.

But I know this guy, and I have no doubt he will still sue us.

We bought security cameras last night. They're expensive! Holy cow! Xmas guy was outside and walked to the property's edge and made a spectacle of himself watching dh put the backyard camera up. If he was trying to intimidate dh it did not work.

Xmas guy also came over this morning and measured the tree trunks of only 5 trees, because the other trees are totally on our property. He didn't measure the tree lengths which I found surprising. He did take pictures. We just barely missed him, as we were outside 20 minutes before him measuring the lengths of the trees and taking more pics. We screen-grabbed his facebook page; he sells them for $6 a foot. 2 of the trees we cut were only 3.5ft tall! The others were around 7-8ft. What does he think he's going to get? Even if we pretend he's the property owner, then we would at least be entitled to half the value of the trees since 50% of each of the trunks was on our land. He would get less than $100 total. He'd be a schmuck for suing.

One last thing, I talked to the building inspector this morning and he said xmas guy called him late last night (Sunday!) and screamed at him, and that he had to listen to xmas guy even though he was out of town visiting family. He said xmas guy doesn't have a case and not to worry.

That's all I can update for now. Thank you for "listening". It means a lot. I was up all night last night worrying about being sued.

• User
    6 years ago

Well, he's succeeded in one thing, getting you to worry over nothing. :-)

I'm pretty sure that if a person sues someone in my state and loses, that person pays for both the legal fees from both sides. So unless he would have a chance of gaining a big sum from the attempt, he would be a fool for starting anything along those lines. I would ask my lawyer if that is so in this case.

It would no doubt be handled in a small claims court anyways because of the amount, where no attorneys are necessary. https://www.nycourts.gov/courts/nyc/smallclaims/startingcase.shtml

Edit: Added link.

IANAL:

ilovemytrees thanked User
  • ilovemytrees
    Original Author
    6 years ago

It's over!!!

He didn't sue us nor his parents, and he's not going to at all.. He apparently confirmed through the family that we did indeed have the parents permission, and he's dropped the issue entirely.

I don't know what was said to him, but I can only imagine it had to do with further permission from his parents to plant his trees on his parents' land again. He plants every year, as trees get sold, or if they die over the winter.

Whatever was said certainly made a strong impression on him, because he's a bully, and has a Napolean complex, but yet he's done a complete turn around in behavior. Not being friendly, mind you, but leaving us alone.

I'm sure he's still as pissed off as he was, but as long as he continues to leave us alone then we're fine.

• Logan L Johnson
    6 years ago

Now you can get on with building that fence!

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

Well that's a relief:). Keep your walls up around him tho or maybe I should say fence in this situation:). I still wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him. Good thing for those cameras.

Maybe he spoke to a lawyer that actually had his best interest, and was like it's a waste of time and money. Gave him a reality check.

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

I feel sorry for his parents. They have to deal with a man child.

Maybe he realized he was in the wrong and came to his senses.

Ya right;)!

• tete_a_tete
    6 years ago

Yes, I think his parents finally just put their collective foot down and, because their man-child realised that this time they meant it, he thought he'd better behave. (His version of behave.) I reckon they said, "No more Xmas trees unless you quit acting the goat."

ilovemytrees thanked tete_a_tete
  • hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    6 years ago

Best wishes for better times. You were put through a lot of worry and distress for no good reason.

ilovemytrees thanked hoovb zone 9 sunset 23