SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtvhike

Confusion about receptacle wiring styles

mtvhike
7 years ago

I need to select some duplex receptacles, and am confused about the various styles available. The "best" are back-wired in the sense that there are small holes behind the screws (four for the hot and four for the neutral); tightening the screw pulls up some metal clamps to hold the wires; I'll call this type 1. Also are some where each screw has what I would describe as a washer with grooves in it, under which you would insert straight wires (type 2). I think (but would like for this to be confirmed), each of these two would allow up to four wires (one in and three out to other parts of the system).

Type 3 have two screws on each side, but the wire must be wrapped around the screw, which limits me to two wires. Type 4 would be ones which I think are called "back-stab", which allows me to push in wires, but these seem inadequate. Also, they do not allow for 12 Ga wire, which is what I am using.

Then there is the issue of tamper resistance; receptacles with and without this feature are readily available, but as I understand, the non-TR ones are not allowed for new construction.

Finally, there are residential, commercial, and industrial grades (although I suspect that the back stab type are residential only).

I had difficulty installing type 3 receptacles into a steel box which had two additional circuits coming out of it (for other receptacles elsewhere). Since I needed three wires for each of the screws, I had to pigtail one of the wires and wire-nut them. Much difficulty in getting them to fit (although I finally succeeded). Could I have eliminated the wire nuts by using type 1 or 2 and connecting the extra wires directly to the receptacle? See attached picture, modified from an image from Leviton.

Comments (13)