SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elkwc

Blizzard update

elkwc
7 years ago

There are still lots of poles down and it will be up to a week before some get power back. There are several crews staying here in town working on restoring the power. I hope that all of my drifts are gone by next Monday and I can start planting by midweek next week.

It is still too early to get a good estimate on livestock losses. Some feel the losses will likely equal or surpass the losses of the recent fires. I know of one local breeder who lost 75 out of 100 of his cows. I've heard that some large feedlots have already removed over 1,000 head and still removing them. When all of the drifts are gone then it will be possible to get some better estimates. I've seen several deads and also pics of wheat fields just littered with deads. The next issue is disposing of them. Everyone lost some. Dawn as you know when you talk to one of the old ranchers/farmers they are more concerned about their neighbors than themselves. They will keep going as that is all they know to do. My BIL was keeping the timed event cattle for the Guymon Pioneer Day rodeo. They all drifted a fair distance but last I knew they had accounted for all but 1-2. The rodeo was set back one day.

When some more information comes in I'll update this post. I have posted some pics on my FB. The snow is melting fairly fast. Had some rain last night and that helped also. It is very muddy and hard to get around. Without a 4wd a person better not get off the paved roads.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting