SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
4kids4us

Anyone ever been a donor match for bone marrow?

4kids4us
6 years ago

About 20 years ago when dh was in the Navy, he participated in a bone marrow drive and was entered into the registry. He got a call a couple of months ago that he is a match for a 13 y/o with leukemia. They wanted to get him started this past weekend with the transplant process, but he just came back from a 2 week business trip on Friday night plus our oldest dd's 18th birthday is tomorrow and prom Friday so they agreed to push it back a couple of days. He begins with daily shots starting tomorrow, having to drive into Wash DC each day. By Sunday, they said he will feel pretty crappy, like he has the flu. He will stay at the hospital Sunday night, then they will start the stem cell removal process on Monday. They said it is about an 8 hr process. His mom is flying in to be his caregiver (the hospital pays for everything - her flight, hotel, etc). While the risks are small, there are possible complications. This couldn't have come at a busier time for us with our dd's birthday, prom and graduation. I just hope everything goes well and there are no complications.

We don't know anyone who has ever been a match so I'm curious to know what to expect. They said that by Sunday, he will feel like he's coming down with the flu, which is why they recommend he stay overnight at the hospital. He and his mom will then come home after the procedure finishes on Monday. But at that point, what should I expect in terms of how he will feel? My kids have a lot going on on Monday, but I want to make sure I am prepared in case he's feeling pretty lousy when he gets home. Thankfully his mom will be here to help.

This was all so crazy, but awesome at the same time. He never expected a call 20 years later! We have known several kids who had leukemia - two survived and are in remission, but sadly, one did not. I hope and pray this child has a positive outcome!

Comments (28)