SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kamereone

300 yr old house, minimal upkeep, what hidden issues to look for?

kamereone
7 years ago

Ye Olde New England Colonial Farmhouse, dry-stacked foundation, monster central chimneys, weights in the windows, wells, barn, thatched walls, plastered walls, wide board siding and floors, exposed beams, the whole nine yards.
...and the poor thing hasn't had a hands-on "honey" to "honey-do" anything resembling maintenance since Great Grampy passed back in the in the 80s.
I know it was foreclosed upon five different times in the early 1900s before GGramps bought it in the 50s. So we're talking 70 out the past 100 or so years of questionable upkeep.
The only care in the past couple decades has been the grandson, who comes by to mow and rake the lawn (progressively smaller each year as the brush takes over) empty the mouse and snake traps, clear snow, and other little light bulb, drippy faucet aerator sort of things.
Gran supposedly has had professionals come over now and again to do tree work, termite repellant things, and check the furnace (which was a huge cast iron old school beast and they convinced her to replace it with a modern one which has been replaced three times in as many years - aaahhggg!). Exterior was supposedly painted "recently" but you couldn't tell, there's more paint chips on the ground than the house. Overall, not much faith in the 'pros' who could just be someone's cousin's neighbor's kid for all I know.
I'm pretty handy with tools and ladders, just have no idea what to do with a house that's not the typical 2x4 and drywall sort of deal.
Thus far I've replaced the broken panes in the storm windows (stripped reglazed refinished), and have cleared all the plant life and leaf debris from up against the house, as well as started a campaign against the encroaching brush line of invasives. Gutters are next, but after that .... ?
What sort of things might be wreaking havoc unseen?
There is evidence of past leaks so that's what's on my mind, but I haven't the slightest clue how to confirm they've been properly repaired or check for active leaks.
Exterior badly needs paint, but I suspect there are things that ought to be checked/done prior?

Obviously the easy way is to call a professional, but I suspect repairs will take a serious hunk of change so would like to exhaust the 'simple stuff' that I can easily identify myself - however, please do suggest what sort of credentials I should look for in this scenario.

THANK YOU for reading this far, it's a daunting project but I've already learned a lot in my reading and look forward to learning more here!

p.s. Is there a sort of "log" or "journal" section on here, or does anyone have a good suggestion for one? I keep thinking it might be a wise idea and haven't gotten around to it.

Comments (10)