OFF TOPIC: For Friends of Mustangs
9 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (19)
Related Discussions
Off Topic - Ludi's Orchids - Heavy on the Pictures
Comments (32)Thank you for the kind words Ladies … and I haven’t even posted the new ones from this year yet !!! Deb - I have in fact dived into the proverbial pond of seed growing. After the splash I made at the BADITC auction I had better, right ? But, I’m saving that unveiling for a separate post. Stay tuned. :) Dearest Mocc - Was it you who ended up with that variegated bletilla ??? I almost went for that last year, but held off since I wasn’t sure if I would have the space (which I didn’t). Also, bletilla do NOT overwinter in pots at all, or at least they didn’t for me. I had some of the standard striata in a pot from 2012 and this spring in 2013 I finally decided to dump it when there was no emergence by June. Sure enough the pseudobulbs had rotted to mush. I still have two patches in the back yard gardens that are faring so-so. I have plans to move them this spring to the amended front beds, currently they’re competing with some major maple roots. They haven’t bloomed in the last two years so I know I need to move them or they will eventually be strangled out ... and we can't have that, now can we ?!?! Bkay - I’m glad you enjoyed ! Always a pleasure to share. I'm surprised being in Texas you haven't tried some yourself .......... enable. :p Trudy - Indeed, I am definitely NOT looking forward to the culling, but it seems a necessary evil when growing seeds for streaked breeders. But, I finally got my login sorted out over on the HSG forums (thank you again Bob), so you shall see me posting over there soon with progress. And that leaves me with Miss Jo - Goodness Gurl, you type about as much as ‘Long-Winded Ludi’. I LOVE IT !!! What a wonderful story about your experience in Beamsville (listen to me, like I know where that is). I would love for my partner to build me a greenhouse, but he knows that would in essence be Pandora’s Box. For now, he’s content to leave me with my room in the attic. Honestly though, I don’t have enough time working a full time job to take care of what I have NOW, let alone taking on more. What did Ken say earlier this year … ah … hope springs eternal. :) You leave me with some opened ended questions, so I will take the easy one first. I counted pictures, and I believe #17 was this one: Its fancy name is psychopsis mendenhall and the common name is butterfly orchid. Although if you google ‘butterfly orchid’ you get all kinds of garbage, so google the latin name. :) Interesting that you would choose this one, as it is the only orchid of mine that is in bloom pretty much all year. It puts out a flower stalk way high above its leaves, and then will only form one bud at a time. Once that first bud opens and the flower eventually fades and falls off, it will then put a new bud out at the same meristem. It takes anywhere from 2-3 weeks for one bud to mature, but then the flower is open for about as long. So I am basically 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off with a flower. It is one of the best orchids I’ve ever grown. I confess I don’t keep mine watered as much as I should and my temps/humidity are all over the place. If I was more of a perfectionist I could probably get it to throw two of three more flower stalks. Then they would open at different intervals, subsequently allowing a flower to be viewed at all times. Usually at orchid shows they sell them with at least two or three flowers stalks. Mine presently has two, but the original has stopped blooming. Here is a picture I took today to illustrate this. You can obviously see the flower on the left :) and the multiple re-blooming that occurred on the older stalk to the right. I only had both of them open once, and then after that the first stalk stopped blooming. That was back sometime in June though. I can’t quite bring myself to cut it off … keep hoping it will maybe start blooming again … there is that spring of eternal hope again. :p Oh, also, to give you a time table, the original stalk kept re-blooming for almost two full years before the second stalk came up and ‘took over’. Sort of like a changing of the guard, now that I think about it. :) As for your second question - what would be a preferable orchid for you to try, given the limited environment you described ? That is a tough call, honestly, and I have given a lot of thought to it. I think the most ‘forgiving’ would be a phaleonopsis. However, I do not have any experience with growing orchids on windowsills and don’t know that I would if I had a south facing window after the success I’ve had growing under lights. But I understand that most people are far more practical than me, so I stand with my suggestion of phaleonopsis. :) Orchids need enough light both to sustain life and re-bloom. But light is only half the battle. To get a Phal to rebloom, you need to have a noticeable drop in temps from a consistent couple of months of warm summer weather. Ya know what ?!?!? I JUST wrote a four page breakdown for Steve to help him with his little Phal about a month ago (still waiting on those pictures Steve). Email me through the GardenWeb, include your return email in the body of the message, and I will be happy to send it to you. And to anyone else who may be interested. It is basically a four page primer from MY OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE … I break a lot of rules, so I have to make that disclaimer since any ‘real’ orchid enthusiast would run away screaming if they saw my setup and my methodologies. But hey, a picture is worth a thousand words, so I guess I have been doing something right these last 4 years. ::grins:: But seriously, shoot me an email and I will send you a copy of the word document. Orchids are not impossible, but they are fussy and highly specialized. But that does not mean you can’t have your own success. Take a dive, the water is fine. :) ::enablenablenablenable:: Ludi...See MoreKitchens friends I need off topic help. : (
Comments (22)lindiver, I had similar problems a few months ago. When I contacted GW for help, adding that my problems coincided with forum changes (needing to double click to go back, among other issues), they said they were unrelated and the problem was at my end. However, nothing we did to fix it helped (my husband is a software engineer, too). When GW finally fixed the formatting problems, my problems went away like magic. Sorry I can't help you but I wanted to let you know that I was similarly frustrated when I asked for assistance. Hang in there!...See MoreTotally off-topic but sort of not off..
Comments (9)Thank you so much for letting us know, Patricia. I love the talented Mr. Peacock! :o) I might be mistaken, but I believe Ms. Edna was in her 70s when they met, bumblebeez. I've read in interviews that she was a much beloved mentor & friend. He's said that he found comfort in caring for her in her later age. She passed away a couple of years ago at the age of 89....See MoreOff Topic..Wanted to share a few pic with my friends..
Comments (23)Devsense...That is the one and only 'Pope John Paul' the first rose..It is one of the most fragrant I have ever had besides sea roses...You have to make sure you protect the stump for winter though which you probably already know) Brian,those are some SOME SPECTACULAR CLOUDS buddy!! I use to get those kind all the time until they cut all the forest away around here. And those flowers are just so pretty..Is that in your new place or your old one? If your old one, you better dig those up buddy! Thanks for the beautiful pics) I see that Citrus Tree towering over those perennials....Marvelous, just marvelous like those clouds Laura, that's a GREAT question!! I can find out for you). I will have to post a pic on the cactus forums and come back for you. I have always wondered what it was too..It has the most beautiful flowers and can be grown like a Bonsai..The more often you cut it hard back, the thicker the stump gets and the more robust. I love this one. The funny thing is that for a succulent, it loves to be watered and not left to dry out.....See More- 9 years ago
- 9 years agomustangs81 thanked dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
Related Stories

DECORATING GUIDESThe Hottest Houzz Discussion Topics of 2012
Discussions rocked and rolled this year with advice, support, budding friendships — and oh, yes, a political opinion or two
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESGarden-Friendly Native Alternatives to Overplanted Exotics
There are lots of gorgeous, wildlife-friendly native plants ready to make an appearance in your garden
Full Story
PETS15 Design-Friendly Places to Hide the Cat Litter Box
Built-in solutions include putting it in a cabinet, under the stairs, behind a wall and inside a window seat
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNPet-Friendly Design: Making Room for the Dog Dish
In a dog’s life, you eat on the floor. Except in kitchens like these, where pets are factored into the design
Full Story
MOST POPULAR8 Budget-Friendly Ways to Fun Up Your Patio
Amp up the charm, comfort and personality of your outdoor space with drapery, lighting and more
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGN12 Ideas for a Family-Friendly Kitchen
Include little ones in the fun, keep messes to a minimum and get organized with these kitchen tips from a mom
Full Story
ENTERTAININGBeyond the Book Club: 10 Creative Groups to Start With Friends
Let the good times roll while you enjoy shared interests like wine tasting, preserving, crafting and cooking
Full Story
GARDENING AND LANDSCAPINGEco-Friendly Fire Pits: Casting Backyard Campfires in a New Light
Wood burning may be discouraged — even illegal in places — but that needn't mean forsaking the fire pit. Try one of these alternatives
Full Story
NATIVE PLANTSWhy Aggressive Plants Might Actually Be Your Friends
Sometimes a garden thug is exactly what’s called for
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNTry a Shorter Kitchen Backsplash for Budget-Friendly Style
Shave costs on a kitchen remodel with a pared-down backsplash in one of these great materials
Full Story

User