SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bonnie12210

Way off Topic but I need my friends wisdom

bonnie12210
16 years ago

Okay,my son carried his 4 legged baby to the vet today,well he has heart worms,my son went all to pieces his dog is like mine and many of yours he is family.The problem is my son is a single father with full custody of his babys,3 and 4 years old,he has been out of work going on 6 months now due to a work related accident.I told him I would help him come up with the money for Lucky's treatment,so I am going to put a few things on ebay,but I have this rock and really don't know what it is ,I need to know in order to list it so if any of you know please tell me,I know that there are a lot of smart people in this group.I have had this thing forever but always called it my rock,and I know it is a little more than a rock,I just don't know what.It weighs a little over 7 pounds,8 inches high 5 inches across and about 3 inches deep,so if anyone knows please let me know.

I will go ahead now and tell anyone who thinks I am out of line,I am sorry,but I feel that some of the people on here are the best friends I have ever had,so please don't get upset with me,I just need answers to my question,so I can help my son.Thanks in advance for any ideas on my "rock".

Bonnie

Comments (66)

• bonnie12210
    Original Author
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Mary Ellen,my email address is qualitycust@prtcnet.com
    Please pray for Mike(my son)he has cried for two days now,I am worried to death about him.
    I am having to help my sister-in-law move today and I just came home long enough to get a bite to eat.I will try to touch base with you all tonight,I love you all so much you are all such a blessing to me.
    Bonnie

• jeep461
    16 years ago

A link

Here is a link that might be useful: Ivermectin for heart worms

• Related Discussions

Way off topic ---- blind dates !

Q

Comments (10)
    I fixed my sister up on a blind date with a guy from another town.He didnt want to get serious neither did she.Well,,,they married and had two kids but there was turmoil from the start.After about 20 years of marriage it ended in a horrible divorce. She was tired of supporting him and didnt care to support his laziness for the rest of her life.She gave him the 5 bedroom house and many other things and she moved into a tiny rental.SHE owns a biz and when they went to court the judge made her pay 1500 a month alimony to HIM!!!!! She was diagnosed with MS and is trying to get the alimony reduced but the lawyer says he(lawyer) has MS too and its no big deal! Oh the lawyer is a relative to EX husband. She is going back to court soon pray that an honest judge will help her out. Thats my story,I guess it could have had a happier ending,Im sure some do. I just pray my sister get some happiness and health back in her life.
    ...See More

Off Topic,I need my friends to pray

Q

Comments (30)
    Thats why they put me on it for the fibromyalgia and the nerve pain from my neck. Hasn't helped the nerve pain so much but it has with the fibromyalgia. I feel much better after sleeping good. I am supposed to start taking a dose in the morning also after the first week and I am thinking no way can I stay awake and function. I actually fell asleep sitting straight up on the way home from Tulsa and I could never sleep in the car before even laying down no matter how exhausted I was. I totally missed going through Dallas and that usually makes me a nervous wreck. I woke up with my mouth hanging wide open and thought eew gross, thats never happened before, lol. Hubby said one minute I was singing and the next I was snoring, lol. Be careful and don't overdo things and hurt yourself or there will be nobody to tend to you. I wish she would move in with you to cut out some of your work load keeping up two houses. Take care of yourself and I am praying for and thinking of you and your family. Hugs back, Kristy
    ...See More

slighty off topic//our fuzzy friends

Q

Comments (31)
    My cat Nala, though we just call her cat. Turned 2 on January 5. This is my Chihauhau Sophie. Turned 1 today actually, January 22. Thinks she's a little human girl. This is one of my rabbits, Efram. He'll be 2 on June 25. I have 5 other rabbits (Ruddigger-2 on May 30, Dingo-2 on October 27, and Loki, Spockles and Chester-all 1 on March 25) but I don't have pics of them uploaded on my comp yet. And this is an old picture of a wild jack rabbit that I found as a little baby and raised to adult. His name was Boots and he's just a baby in this pic. Maybe a month old or so. Fed him with a syringe until he was old enough for solid food. Sadly I couldn't keep him because, well, he's a wild rabbit. Had to let him go. But I'll always love him.
    ...See More

off topic - remembering a soldier and a friend

Q

Comments (19)
    Such a nice post. As someone has already said, I'll bet there are a LOT of other good deeds you don't know about. Sorry your brother is no longer alive in body, but his spirit lives on. Some people take the Ten Commandments to heart and live them. The sweetest act of kindness is anonymous.
    ...See More
  • karyn1
    16 years ago

Jim thanks for that link. Do you use the cattle dewormer on your dogs? The monthly medication that I use for Heartworm prevention is expensive. If this works and is safe it would surely save me a lot of money.
    Karyn

• lovelyiris
    16 years ago

Well I'm just a little bit behind here.I'm sure that doesn't suprise any of you since ya'll all know how slow I and forgetful I am. LOL I'm putting my $20 in the mail for you in a card today.

If anyone needs her address you can email me and i'll give it to you.

I just want ya'll to know that Bonnie is a wonderful person and that she's not sharing all of her problems with us. Bonnie just remember that the Lord will not give you a bigger load than you can handle. It may make your knees buckle and so forth, but your friends and love ones are just an email away from you. When times get rough and your load seems to heavy to bear let someone else carry the load for a little while.

God Bless you and yours and I'm praying for you and your entire family never ceasing.
    Love you tons and tons,
    Marian,

I would love to wrap my arms around you and tell you everything is going to be fine.

Smile, God Loves YOU and so do all of us here!

• jeep461
    16 years ago

Karyn, yes for 2 + years. I also cured 3 dogs with heart worms. There are also natural methods. I also use it as a wormer and spray my plants with it. ( close relative to Avid (albermectin) )

• bonnie12210
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I don't know what to say,all of you have just blown me away with your love and concern,I have been going since 4:00am this morning,and did not go to bed till 2:00 am,it is now 10.24 PM and we just got home,and we did not get through with the move,another half day tomorrow,I am so tired I hurt all over,Mike says tell you all Thank You so much he has never had people like you reach out to him,and it means alot to him,and needless to say me to.I love you so much.
    Kylie I am sorry I missed your call today,I would have enjoyed talking to you.
    Marian,I could sure use one of your hugs,but I can feel your love even across the miles,you are so precious to me,you seem to understand me more sometime than I do myself.
    Gramsharon,Thank you it truly is people like you that make the world go round,and Mary Ellen,God Bless your heart,Thank you.You all have opened up and loved me when I felt I could not go any further,with your love and positive aditudes,I think Lucky,Mike and I will make it.I don't know how to put into words what you all mean to me.
    Mike,Thank you to I have something to look forward too,thanks for you begging for me.lol.I am gonna turn in but I want each one of you to know that you are soooo special to me,I will never forget what you all have done.
    Thanks also for the encouragment,I think we will make it,with friends like you how can we go wrong?
    Hugs to you all,Bonnie

• napdognewfie
    16 years ago

Hi everyone, I've been mostly away from the computer. DH is off a couple days & we're trying to get everything finished before he leaves again. Unfortunately, I don't know of anyone who will help with your dog. Our animal organizations around here voted years ago to help only local pets (MD & WV, we live in a depressed area). You may talk to your vet (crying helps) to see about arranging payments (my vet does pre-dated checks that he holds & cashes once a month until paid off). You have already started donations, see if you can get the dog's story with a picture in the newspaper. We have a mobile DJ business & do fund raisers for situations like this for gas money only (sorry I don't live closer). Maybe there is someone in your area who would be willing to do this for you. You can email me or I can call you for info on how to set things up if you need to.

Linda

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

Thats a great idea. Try to put it in the paper or on the news and maybe more people can help or a vet will offer his services. I am sorry you are having a hard time Bonnie. Make sure you get some rest and don't forget to stop long enough to eat and drink. You will make yourself sick working and worrying all day. Take care. I will get your address and send you something Monday. We all love you and will help as much as possible. Jim has a good idea with the worm medicine. It sure wouldn't hurt to try it.

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

Thats a great idea. Try to put it in the paper or on the news and maybe more people can help or a vet will offer his services. I am sorry you are having a hard time Bonnie. Make sure you get some rest and don't forget to stop long enough to eat and drink. You will make yourself sick working and worrying all day. Take care. I will get your address and send you something Monday. We all love you and will help as much as possible. Jim has a good idea with the worm medicine. It sure wouldn't hurt to try it.

• maemae0312
    16 years ago

Jim and others I know several people that use Ivermectin for heartworm preventitive for there dogs, Ivermectin I think is the same ingredient in Heartgard. And it is much cheaper.

Mary

• bonnie12210
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay I got my 'rock' listed boy this has been a rough few days,Please tell me it will get better.love you all.
    Bonnie

{{gwi:469188}}

{{gwi:469189}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Luckys life saving geode

• sibhskylvr
    16 years ago

Bonnie

It WILL get better! :) And 'Lucky' is adorable! He looks like a movie-star dog! lol!

Mike

• bonnie12210
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL,Mike, he is, he and Mike are on ebay,Thank you,just Thanks,to all of you,Hugs Bonnie

• sibhskylvr
    16 years ago

Bonnie

I just talked to a friend of mine. He checked out your listing and said, quote "If I could get that for $9.99 it would be great. A size like that & with it's looks goes retail for about $150.00 - $200.00! He said he was going to bid! :) I guess in one of the shops at the mall in Little Rock there's a place that sells such rocks! Maybe I should sell rocks to help with my brug addiction! lol!

Mike

• bonnie12210
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mike I was told one time it was worth about $175.00,but if you start things high on ebay they tend to just sit there,I guess I have to cross my fingers and hope for the best,and I need to get Karma to cross her toes for me,LOL.KHT cross your toes.
    Bonnie

• sibhskylvr
    16 years ago

Bonnie

Poor Karma! lol! And that's a good price!! Right in the ball park from what my friend told me. Out of curiosity - what's the rough estimate the vet gave for 'Lucky's' treatment? I've not had to deal with heartworms with any of my six babies (crossing fingers.) How expensive is it?

Mike

• napdognewfie
    16 years ago

Heartworm is a severe infestation of the heart by worms of from 6-12" in length which load the heart and cut off its ability to function. The worms grow, reproduce, and migrate from the heart to arteries, the lungs & other organs. They invade the heart, grow, consume the heart & the dog dies from congestive heart failure. The cure is rough on the dogs & owners but most dogs do survive with lots of care.

Treatment involves trying not to damage the heart & vascular systems & getting rid of the worms. The worms are killed with drugs or removed in surgery so the dogs body can heal itself. It can be very complicated depending on how many worms, the dogÂs reaction to them & how healthy the dog was to begin with. There are side effects from the drugs & more problems from the dead worms in the bloodstream.

From what I remember, the dog has to be kept sedated & VERY inactive for more than a month. We didn't have that many cases in our county when I worked for the vet (years ago) but there's more & more all the time.

It can be prevented with monthly Heartworm pills & cats can get it & should be treated too.

Linda

• bonnie12210
    Original Author
    16 years ago

From what I understand the treatments are in a series once a week for 4 to 5 weeks,with two being about 180.00 after the medication they have to watch them because the worms could break loose and kill them also,then two or three more at 45.00,with no bad luck,about $500.00 He has paid the first 200.00.
    Bonnie

• jeep461
    16 years ago

Beautiful dog. I am glad they have broken treatments down further. I am sure it will all work out. One natural thing that worked well for me was to use parsley boiled down to make a small bowl salted a little and 2 tablespoons on food twice a day. It keeps the kidneys and liver working strong. There are solids which must be removed from the blood.

Ask your vet about it and start before the treatment. We will all be wish the best. Keep us informed.

• hong2007
    16 years ago

My dog had worm last month, he was so sick. The Vet was expensive! I wish there are medical insurance for dog. The medicine cost as much as human medicine! Although, it's worth every penny. The vet also got me to purchase this heart worm prevention medicine, it look like a square piece of dog treat, I only have to give it to him once a month, and he loves it. You may want to ask your vet about this stuff. It cost about 40 dollars, but it a one year supply, it call HEARTGARD PLUS (IVERMECTIN/PYRANTEL). I hope this help.

• bonnie12210
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I will let you all know how things go.He goes for his first treatment Thursday.Please keep sending good thoughts and prayers our way.Thank you all for you concern, advise,and prayers.Hugs Bonnie

• karyn1
    16 years ago

That's a beautiful dog. I hope he does well with the treatments and I hope you get lots of money for your geode. I'm glad you added why you were listing the geode. I think that will help boost the auction.
    Karyn

• bonnie12210
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Karyn,thank you for the idea I had not even thought about listing it like that,but then again I couldn't think at all at the time,so thanks for the idea.
    Bonnie

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

GEODES! Geodes! I love them!

Sh*t, I'm late - didn't even finish reading all the posts.

bonnie - don't list it. I'll buy it. Save yourself the fee. I'll send you 200.00 plus shipping.

I have a geode collection! I love those. Looks like a lapis dyed Geode!

Email me, ok?

Sorry if I'm steppign on anyone. I'll back away if someone else wants it.

I have 16 of them, use them as book ends on my bookshelf.

Just yell if you want me to take you up on it, ok?

Me

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Sorry.

Email me - it's me - dweeb.

• threas
    16 years ago

Bonnie, You and your son and his doggie will be in my prayers. Let us know how it goes.
    Dweeb, That's a wonderful offer!

Theresa

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

What a beautiful doggie! I hope his treatment goes good and he is ok.

• chena
    16 years ago

No Sorries Dweeb!!! I hope you end up with it!!! I'm sure Bonnie would rather you than some stranger have it..Very nice of you to offer..
    Kylie

• bonnie12210
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Dweeb,I wish I had known you wanted it I would have been glad to let you get it.
    Bonnie

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

Bonnie, I posted the link to your geode on my fishing forum also so maybe you will have more people look at it. I need your whole email address to send you the paypal donation.

• bonnie12210
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Kristy,gosh you guys will never know what you all mean to me,just know you all are special and don't let anyone tell you any thing else,you all are my HERO'S.
    Bonnie

• wolfen
    16 years ago

Ivermectin is the main ingredient for most heartworm preventitive, and treatment- also used for birds to rid them of tracheal mites, as well as other mites and lice, But the dosage needs to be SO precise. I have used it in the past to prevent heartworm, and for fleas on dogs, once a month, but it is a pain. The dosage really needs to be precice, and it isn't fun to get that foul tasting liquid down their throats. As for treatment for active heart worm, please let the vet treat this. My prayers go out to you and your family.
    Many Hugs....
    Sandra
    ^,,^

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

When I had to board my 10 month old puppy a couple weeks ago I gave her the heartguard and they didn't see it on her record since I got it somewhere else and gave her another one. They said it wouldn't hurt her.

• bonnie12210
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kristy,Thank you so very much.It will not be forgotten.Hugs
    Bonnie
    I don't think the extra pill will hurt your baby.

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

No worries Bonnie. You are a great person and I am glad to be of some small help to you and your son. Why don't you put a cutting of that great orange brug you have up on ebay if you have an extra one and we can all having a bidding war for it, lol.

• bonnie12210
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Carmie Thank you,you are so wonderful,this is the most loving and giving group of people in the world and I love you all.
    Lucky goes tomorrow for his first treatment,so please remember him in your prayers,I think that the first two treatments is the most dangerous.
    Kristy,I had not thought about that but I just might try it.
    Bonnie

• chena
    16 years ago

Bonnie.. I hope you will update us on how Lucky is.. My daughter had a dog that had to be treated.. She was down for a while but she recovered just fine... I feel in my heart that Lucky is a Lucky Dog and will respond beautifully!!
    Kylie

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I hope that his treatments go well. Keep us updated.
    Karyn

• bonnie12210
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh Kylie I sure hope you are right,I haven't seen Mike this upset since his baby girl was born at 6 & 1/2 months,and she is fine now,but Mike is a bundle of nerves.
    BTW I took my baby girl Tootie to the vet yesterday for her refill of her heart worm medications,she is fine just a little fat 72 lbs.My beautiful pit bull.Love you guys.
    Bonnie

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

Make a new post if you do so we all know and can bid on it. Good luck Lucky!

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Bonnie - sorry I was late, but I hit the auction with one day to do.

Hey, where is Karen (gardenpaw?) I have to thank her for the morning glory tree seeds! Le me see if that post isn't too far gon. . .

Man I haven't been here in about 4 days. . .

• m8403ike
    16 years ago

thank to all of you! yall will never know how much it means to me and lucky and i did not forget about the one who started it all thanks moma love you lots

• bonnie12210
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey yall we have a new member the above poster is my Mike my son.
    Welome my son,I love you to.
    Bonnie

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Hi Mike,
    I wish Lucky all the best and hope his treatments go well.
    Karyn

• flwrs4ever
    16 years ago

Hi Bonnie and Mike..I am new to this forum, but just felt compelled to tell you I really hope all goes well for your precious dog..I will be keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers !

• shortyhead
    16 years ago

I am so sorry to hear about your puppy with heart worms. I'll send $$ too.
    Jim

• shortyhead
    16 years ago

Bonnie,what is your paypal address?

Jim

• gee8ch
    16 years ago

Hi Mike and welcome to the forum. Been praying for Lucky and know in my heart he is going to get well. Blessings on you both as well as your wonderful mom, Bonnie. Gloria

• bonnie12210
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jim I sent you an email,but my email addy is qualitycust@prtcnet.com
    Love you all
    Bonnie

• babette11
    16 years ago

This was originally posted on Craigslist by a vet tech, in december but I thought it would be helpful for your son's dog. I use Ivermectin sheep/cattle wormer on monthly basis. I have read about Ivermectin being used on all the dogs after the hurricane in New Orleans. That was posted on the Heartworms societys website. This maybe an option worth talking over with the vet. Could save you hundreds of dollars.
    Ivomec
    http://www.internetvets.com/Articles/ivermectin_dosing.htm

http://www.heartwormsociety.org/article.asp?id=11

Ivermectin
    Ivermectin (Heartgard® & Heartgard® Plus by Merial, Iverhart® Plus & Iverhart MAX by Virbac and Tri-Heart® Plus by Schering-Plough) was the first in this family of drugs to be approved for preventing heartworm infection. An infection with larvae as long as two months prior to the initiation of ivermectin treatment will be blocked from development.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=610

Ivermectin Only?

Melarsomine treatment is expensive and often out of reach for rescue groups, shelters, and many individuals. If the dog is stable (Class I) one option is to simply leave the dog on an ivermectin-based preventive. This option has led to a great deal of misconception about the ability of ivermectin to kill adult heartworms. Let us lay the rumors to rest now:

Ivermectin does not kill adult heartworms.
    Ivermectin does shorten the lifespan of adult heartworms.
    Ivermectin does sterilize adult heartworms.
    Ivermectin does kill microfilaria (keeping the dog from being a source of contagion)
    Ivermectin does kill L3 and L4 larvae (preventing new infections).

This means that if one opts to treat a heartworm positive dog with an ivermectin heartworm preventive only, one can expect the dog to remain heartworm positive for a good 2 years and the heartworm disease will be progressing during that 2 years. This is not good for the dog but certainly beats getting no treatment of any kind. This approach should only be considered for patients who are Class I and may be able to withstand 2 years of heartworm infection.

Now the theory in doing ivomec treatment only is this. Instead of killing the heartworms fast kill them slower. The heartworm treatment that vets use kill the heartworms faster. The dog given the heartworm treatment must remain calm and on a baby aspirin to prevent clots. Why? Because when the heartworms are killed they don't exit the body like roundworms do. The heart worms head for the lungs and this can cause the lungs bronchi to get clogged therefore the dogs can't breath and die. With the ivomec treatment you prevent the larvae from hatching and sterilize the adult heartworms. The life span of a adult heartworm is less than two years. It is cheaper for animal rescue groups to do this instead of the other. Animal rescue groups take in so many animals that cost is always a factor for them and they have to save money if possible.

Instead of posting negative posts of what the original person posted about what vets don't want you to know. Maybe you should thank that person for all the rescues they have done. You see they have rescued over 600 dogs in the last 5 years. Not one time have they lost a dog to the ivomec treatment. I know I am a vet tech that works for the groups veterinarian. I have seen the work they have done and all the lives they have saved. The veterinarian I work for is the one who approves of the ivomec treatment as an option. They have spent over $20,000 dollars a year out of their pocket. They do this because they care.

Depending on the vet if he/she only cares about money then they won't tell you about this option. Did you know a heartworm positive dog can be given heartguard but not interceptor. Why? Because interceptor will cause a dog to dies if they are heartworm positive becsuse the ingredients in intercept are stronger than ivomec. You can though give a heartworm positive dog Heartguard. Now there are some vets that will dispute this but the makers of heartguard have said that yes you can give a dog heartguard that is heartworm positive.

vet clinic