SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seedg2

Problems with drought in summer but flood in winter

SeedG (Zone 9b - 10b)
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I have a garden in the Mediterranean where I'd like to grow some xeriscapes and other drought resistant plants - tropical looking. The problem is, I am not there the whole year - just in summer and a couple of weekends in other months. I can't control plants daily nor weekly. I am looking for recommended plants.

The other problem is: prolonged drought in summer and heavy rains in winter, spring on the wet side and autumn on the dry. I'd like to grow some tropical plants that would thrive in these conditions. The soil is clay. Winters are around 5 degrees C (40 degrees F) and summers to 40 degrees C (100 degrees F).

I tried osteospermums which did very well for the last two years but this spring none of them have leaves on and all seem dead. I suspect wet winter.

Carpobrotus barely survived. Felicia died. Lantana lost all leaves? Seems dead too. Cannas rot.

Bougainvillea has no leaves on (should it already have?); other neighbours have the plant so it should thrive here.

I've run out of ideas. I wish to grow caesalpinia pulcherrima. Will it grow here or will it rot? This is my wishlist. I'm trying with asclepias curassavica, leonotis leonurus, pentas, zauschneria, dalea, callirhoe, ratibida, strelitzia, echium candicans, gerbera daisy, arctotis, crassula, agapanthus, eucomis, alstroemeria, tigridia, leucocoryne, bessera, brodiaea, gladiolus, kniphofia, hesperaloe. These need yet to be tested.

Some plants that already thrive there: hardy geraniums, achillea, mirabilis jalapa, sedum, echinacea, salvia, perovskia, rosemary, iris, allium, hemerocallis, actinidia, fatsia, delosperma, nerium oleander, bergenia, hibiscus syriacus, citrus reticulata, vinca, gaura, veronica, liatris, yucca, ophiopogon, oxalis, lavender, windmill palm, immortelle, cytisus, poison ivy, ilex, roses, oenothera, coreopsis, linum perenne, campanulas, bay tree, olive tree, prickly pear, viburnum tinus, pomegranate, dianthus webbianus, phlox subulata.

Suggestions please - I like perennials - bulbs, shrubs, groundcovers. Prefer blooming in summer and autumn or all year; prefer tropical looking or succulents or daisy flowered perennials. All should be tolerant of clay soil and wet winters and dry summers.

Thanks.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio