SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
need2seegreen

dry garden groundcovers - anyone?

hi all!

So, although it's not at the top of the chore list, I am on the lookout for a groundcover that - once established - will live without any water. We do get the occasional rain in the winter, some years. This area is in part-sun.

Am I kidding myself? Has anyone in a hot-ish area tried any of these:

emerald carpet manzonita (or other native-ish groundcover ... ? )

creepying thyme or rosemary

groundcover lantana

clover

wild strawberry

This is for an area that isn't visible. I would just leave it, but right now, some of the weeds grow outlandishly tall, which makes me feel guilty looking at it. It's irritating. It won't be walked on much. I may put in stepping stones just in case.

There is no irrigation at all - I realize I will have to water whatever it is at first. (And, this may never happen. Maybe I'll just get better at not looking at this one patch!) Maybe I will put in a few things and let them fight it out. This area is near-ish the coast in OC but not right on it - like 5 miles away, maybe?

It is okay if the above plants dry out in "the summer" (which is really half the year). If something that was 6" browns out, I can live with that. It's these giant weeds that bug me. Plus, it would be nicer for the neighbors I suppose if I wasn't running a weed factory.

I don't want to go with pebbles or fake lawn. Bark mulch, maybe some day.

Kurapia sounds maybe too fussy, since I do not think the drainage is that good.

Creeping rye? Bearberry? I've been doing a good bit of online snooping. But there's no substitute for experience. I will bother the county gardeners some more too - but I was wondering if someone has solved this issue already?

All thoughts appreciated!! Maybe I'll just start sticking things out there. I've even seen some suggest spider plant as a groundcover. Who knows.

Thanks.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!