SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
champion6sigma

San antonio tx bermuda help

Champ TX-
7 years ago

I would like to improve the density and color of the grass on our home. I've used a weed and feed product maybe 6 weeks ago or longer. I water infrequently. We have had some plentiful rains this year throughout year. I do not have a sprinkler system so I water with a hose sprinkler generously when I do take it out. Grass is bermuda Tiff way 419 according to the builder. 5 years old. I aerated last year midway just once. Last time before that was two years prior maybe. I'm intending to get milorganite next , possibly rent an aerating Classen machine from home depot...i dont know if there is a better one to get elsewhere or if a spike machine is better than hollow core. I'm currently mowing at less than half an inch maybe between 0.3 and 0.4 inch with a reel mower which I finally figured out how to sharpen and get the reel to bed knife ratio correct and able to cut paper. I had bought the reel a year ago and it probably has been dull and off for a long time now. I previously used a cheaper great states mower at slightly over half inch and that had probably been dull too. I just sharpened that also this last weekend but lowest it goes is 0.5 inch

The land is certainly hard in many areas. Based on what I read it's improbable to call it compacted based on user posted definitions. Last year I put down quite a bit of sand down , brought in on a dump truck, and attempted leveling areas. Some areas on perimeter of houses and below trees and bottom of embankment next to the entry in front of house have visible sand buildup I guess from dirt and other washing away from rain and wind.

Is a quick and effective plan to aerate Lawn mechanically. Then spread milorganite and then spray baby soap over everything and water the hell out of yard, a great idea? Any tips suggestions? Thank you

Comments (128)