SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daisyingaz7

Annual for part sun containers

DaisyinGA
7 years ago

I live in metro Atlanta but I am cross posting in the Alabama gardening forum because I know many of you live in a similar gardening zone and probably a little bit because I am from Alabama (War Eagle!!!). I am having a hard time finding an annual that does well for some of my part sun containers. I would be very grateful for some suggestions. I've not been home all day long enough to chart the sun for these spots every hour. They get a blast of late morning sun, part of the noon day sun, and then a blast again late afternoon. These pots are along my front sidewalk, so very visible. I need annuals because I rip these out in the fall and plant violas in these pots. Here's what I'm looking for:

* Hope to water them well only once a day. The pots are fairly large and I pot with potting soil that holds moisture.

* I estimate they get maybe 5 hours a day of direct sun, maybe 6. The rest of the day the light is bright. They don't get early morning sun.

* Looking for something kind of upright to put in the middle.

* Looking for something that requires minimal care other than fertilizing and watering. Something self-grooming, nothing I have to snip like geraniums, although I would be happy to pinch something like coleus.

What has not worked:

Vinca - gets too leggy like it's reaching for sun, looks not very happy. Lantana, doesn't bloom like it should. Dragon Wing begonias, seem to do better in more shade than this spot gets. Moss rose doesn't bloom like it should, probably needs more sun. Million bells (calibrachoa) doesn't bloom well and looks sparse, probably needs more sun. No type of petunia has done well. Torenia hasn't done well in this area, although I have tucked it into these pots and never given it a pot of its own and perhaps that is the problem. I also have found torenia to be a bit picky for me, loves the right spot, sulks in the wrong one (sulks in too much sun, sulks in too little).

What does well - the best thing I have found so far is evolvulus blue daze, which I will replant again this year. But these pots are all blue and I would like some color other than blue.

I have some gold Japanese forest grass and also some burgandy wedding train coleus to put in some of the pots.

I have some bigger coleus that I could put in these pots and maybe I will do that. I suspect, though, that the bigger coleus will do well early in the summer and look washed out and unhappy in the late part of the summer. If you live in the lower South and have been successful growing coleus that say 2-8 hours sun in 8 hours sun then I would love to hear from you!

I'm hoping to find some annuals that will thrive in that spot. Whenever a plant is listed as "tolerate" then in my hands that is code for "won't do well". Some of the other things that are successful along my front sidewalk are a small potted boxwood shrub, variegated ivy, solomon's seal (looks great), a spiky, partial-sun grass of some sort I got years ago, a tiarella. Most of these are in areas of the large front sidewalk that get more shade. I shade gardened this area for years, but we had some trees removed and I can't get a good grip on this area with more sun. Too little sun or too much for everything I've tried.

Help!!!!

Comments (7)

Sponsored