SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristimama

Help me understand full sun/part sun for difficult spot

kristimama
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm fairly clear on full sun and full shade concepts, but I need help interpreting the sun rules for a difficult spot here in the East Bay where I want to put at least *one* of my roses.

It's in a slightly shaded alcove in my front yard in a prominent space in front of my dining room bay window. The space faces due west--which for those of you unfamiliar with northern california is pretty darn hot and sunny in the summer. But there's an overhang, so in the morning, this spot is completely shaded by the house--year round. In the Winter and Early Spring, is is shaded until about 1:30 pm. In the summer and fall, with the sun higher in the sky, it gets direct overhead sun starting by noon, and goes strong until sunset. And the sun is pretty intense.

So "shade" doesn't exactly describe this spot, especially with the reflected heat off the house.

The question is, is it enough sunshine for an OGR rose? What roses can handle that extreme shift from cool (sometimes dewy/damp) dark spot in the morning to blaring dry hot sun in the afternoon). I started out initially with mostly HPs and have expanded out to Bourbons and Teas. (I keep buying... aack.)

This bed is a bit shallow (i.e. not far away from the foundation to the lawn), so the roses I'm considering for this spot (below) are based entirely on my understand of their final size hoping they'd get to 4-5' tall and about 4-5' wide max.

How would these tolerate this kind of sun exposure?

-Vick's Caprice

-Gruss an Aachen

-Pink Gruss an Aachen

-Vineyard Song

-Sophie's Perpetual

-Souvenir de Victor Hugo

I also have Mrs. Dudley Cross, but I was *slightly* worried she might be too large for this space... but upon further research I think she might stay 5' tall x 5' wide? (And they're slow to build?) And did you know she was designated earthkind last year?

(I also have Souvenir de la Malmaison, but she seems to be happiest in a container where she stays dry and gets about 8 solid hours of sun year round... so why tempt fate where SdlM is concerned. LOL).

Ahh... decisions decisions.

Thanks for your help,

Kmama

Comments (13)