SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jill_coopersmith

Engineered Hardwood Finish compared to other floors

Jill Coopersmith
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I am seeking some expertise on flooring finishes. I read somewhere in another post that engineered hardwoods typically have a better wear layer compared to their solid hardwood counterparts.

I have been searching for my new dining room floor for a while now and after much deliberation I know I will not be happy with LVP or laminate in my dining room. But I have to go with engineered hardwood because I am on a concrete slab.

The floor I have found that I would consider a strong finalist is Mirage Maple Greystone in their Admiration line. That floor comes in 3 engineered finish options.

1. Cashmere matte finish

2. Semi-gloss (which I prefer aesthetically)

3. Commercial grade (which claims to have a more durable finish)

But I cannot find the specifications anywhere, nor would I understand them even if I could.

I have a sample of the Mirage Maple Greystone, in their solid hardwood version. I tried scratching it with my acrylic coated fingernail and was able to dent the floor. The semigloss seemed to dent more easily than the cashmere finish. The dent was minor, and in fact when I placed the sample back on the floor you could barely notice it, but it did dent, none the less.

So my question is if the engineered version of this floor would be the same, or if it would be harder to dent (or scratch) because of its construction and wear layer?

Appreciate any guidance that can be shared.

Thanks!

Comments (9)