SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vella_rla

Replace 3-yr old Sharp mini split AC with Mitsubishi?

vella_rla
7 years ago

I bought a Sharp mini split AC 3 years ago (Sharp mini split AY-XPC12PU & AE-X12PU). It was fine the first year, had maintenance cleaning last year, but now my tenant says it’s not working anymore. I had a random AC repairman (recommended by a friend) come to diagnose it because the original supplier/installer is too busy to come look at it. He said the condenser unit is not replaceable/repairable, and wants to sell me a new Mitsubishi, which I know is top of the line and from what I’ve read, really won’t need service for the life of it.
Should I try to get a replacement Sharp condenser unit, knowing that it might need future service, or replace the whole thing with a Mitsubishi, where I’ll probably be good for a decade? A quote for a new 12000btu mini split AC would cost me around $3800.
Sharp-World itself has been useless but referred me to one of their authorized parts and accessories suppliers who said these units are not accessible on their Sharp database. I'm still waiting for my original dealer/installer to tell me if they can get a new condenser to replace the old one and how much that would cost. Probably less than the $2500 I paid for a new installation 31/2 years ago.

Comments (4)