SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_24200779

How far are those Bishop's Castles from the retaining wall,Hoovb ?

User
7 years ago

In D K's thread on "Recommended Newer Releases" there are some great photos, but the one which most struck me was hoovb's picture of some glorious specimens of Bishop's Castle, grown along some garden steps. From the photo, it looks like the roses are in beds which were created by building a sharply vertical retaining wall of what appears to be stucco-ed concrete. Now, my question: if this is indeed the case, how far away from the internal edge of the retaining wall are the roses placed? In other words, how much space from the inner edge of the retaining wall to the base of the plants? I am wondering because I have a similar situation and would like to know how much distance a rose's roots need from such a sharp vertical (hot, dry?) stone/cement wall . The ones in the picture are clearly thriving!!!

Here's Hoovb's photo. I cut-and-pasted it because I am not sure that my verbal description is accurate, but in the photo it is easy to see what I am wondering about, I think.

"'Bishops Castle' has been spectacular. Quick repeat, strong fragrance. In zone 5 likely a much smaller plant."

Comments (22)