SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tim_reardon33

Issue growing grass on bare spots

Tim Reardon
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hey all, new guy here. Live in NJ (Bluegrass, rye and fescue mix country. )

My front lawn which had a bad year last year (I didn't tend to it much and it didn't grow much as a result), but this year I decided I wanted to care for it and have a nice one again. Previously i used TruGreen and the lawn was very nice that year, but for the value i was paying them I figured I could maintain it myself. (insert joke here)

Mid March, I went to my local nursery, told the owner what my situation was and what I wanted to do and he gave me the fertilizer, seed and peat moss.

Back home, I (in this order) thatched the lawn, threw down some top soil over the bare spots, fertilized it, over-seeded it lightly raked the bare spots to better immerse the seed and put down some peat moss over the bare spots. I set my sprinkler to 15 minutes twice per day.

Long story short, once the weather warmed up a bit and we got some nice sun, all the areas that had grass before grew like crazy, but the bare spots, nothing whatsoever grew. Pretty frustrated right now, but i know I am missing something or doing at least one thing wrong here. Hoping someone can point it out.

Pictures of the products I used are below.

Thanks

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting