SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crouch_gw

Fall grass barely growing/new seed 26 days no germination

crouch
16 years ago

I'm concerned because my lawn isn't growing. Both the new lawn I tried to establish late last fall, and the overseeding I put down 4 weeks ago, seem to be stuck in neutral.

With the overseeding, I heavily scratched the surface using a rake and then used a Pennington Ultra Blue TTTF/KBG blend. It hasn't shown any sign of sprouting even though it'll be four weeks this Saturday since I laid it down.

I've been watering once or twice every day, and the weather has generally been warm here in NJ since mid-April (following a very cold early April), but I got nothing except in an isolated few spots which germinated maybe 10 days ago.

As far as the pre-existing grass from last fall, that's not growing appreciably either.

By way of background, this is a new construction house and admittedly the soil the builder left me with is clayish w/ little topsoil and may be compacted.

Last summer when I moved in, crabgrass took over. I killed everything in the fall w/ Roundup but then was delayed putting seed down. I finally got it down in October using a slit seeder, and it came up pretty well considering. But it never reached mowing height before winter set in.

This Spring, I raked the surface, put down lime and some Tupersan product with a fertilizer, and then overseeded when the weather finally broke in mid-April.

Now, that fall grass seems to be green, but it still hasn't grown enough to require mowing even though my neighbors' lawns have been mowed about twice now.

Is the 26+ day "no germination" period reason for serious concern? What would be the reason for it?

And why would my grass from last fall not be growing taller yet?

Thanks.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022