SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wilsocn

Question about watering new tall fescue grass seed

wilsocn
11 years ago

I am in zone 6b and two days ago I bought and sowed around 54 pounds of the "The Rebels" tall fescue blend. I was over-seeding but have large bare spots in my front yard thanks to killing off a johnson grass infestation. I made double passes over those areas. This was all done after mowing close, aerating and raking up a whole lotta thatch.

I spent a lot of time and effort getting things right and then, in a mental lapse, I didn't make sure I had enough mulch to cover all the bare spots. It looked fine at first but the straw has moved around a bit and its clear that I didnt put down enough to cover all the soil and seed.

I am at home during the day so I have been watering around 4 times a day but trying to keep things moist is really a challenge. It has been in the mid to lower 80s during the day and sunny which wasnt supposed to be the case. Nights are cool and crisp though. I know that mulch isnt an absolute requirement but my question is just how particular is tall fescue seed as to its water requirements in the pre germination stage?

Even though the soil might get a little dry, does the seed still retain enough moisture in its coating to sustain itself until the next watering? Given that I am in 6b, if I still have bare spots in the next 3 weeks will it be too late to lay down extra seed? I have read that September is the best month for tall fescue but I am not sure how late is too late to try and fill a few more patches.

Just any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments (6)