SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jandree22

how long wait - filling in new grass bare spots

jandree22
15 years ago

Hi,

I'm a new homeowner, so this is my first season taking a stab at maintaining a lawn. We just had sewer line work done, so we had a mound of clay, not to mention a damn backhoe taking residence on our front lawn for a few days. I was hoping some of the grass would come back through, but I guess it was just buried too long.

I raked up the ground, threw down seed, watered, and waited. It's been two weeks now and a good bit has come up enough that I think it'll fill in nicely, but I can tell that there are plenty of spots left that'll be thin at best. The seed I used is Scotts Sun/Shade mixture, and I think it's like 50% perennial rye, 25% fescue, and 25% kbg.

I admit that I was cheap the first time around... while I really tried to prep the existing soil by leveling/raking and putting down starter fertilizer, I did not provide a good coverage of topsoil or straw, and I fear that the issue may be that a lot of seed washed away. I've been watering 2x a day @ approx 20 min each.

How long should I give the new grass a chance before reseeding? If I reseed I plan to at least cover it in straw to help anchor it and maintain a more consistent level of moisture without having to make puddles.

Thanks

Here's a pic of my lowly front yard... the spots I'm concerned about with growth are circled in red. The blue circle has no seed as they finished up that spot after I seeded the rest of the lawn. (The unfocused grid lines are from my window screen, so just ignore that ;)

{{gwi:91427}}

Comments (12)