SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thane_gw

How to fill the bare strips along my driveway?

thane
18 years ago

Hello everyone. My house has two bare strips along either side of the driveway that are begging to be filled with some nice plants. I'm currently unsure of exactly what to do with them.

I'm given to understand that you should plan the design first, then choose the plants to fit the design. With that in mind, I'd like some ideas on what I should be thinking about here. Since I don't want to spend a lot of time on maintenance, my first impulse is to find something low-maintenance and just fill up the sides of the driveway with it. Would that be terribly gauche? I'd probably leave a few spaces for some annuals here and there.

When I consider which plants to use, here are some factors:

* Low-maintenance

* Nothing over 3' or so, or it'll risk obscuring some views

* Everything I currently have blooms between March and May. I'd like some late summer/fall color.

* Some kind of flowering evergreen shrub would be my first thought. Late-blooming dwarf rhododendrons?

* The north east-facing driveway gets direct sun for about 3-4 hours in the summer. Not much in the winter.

Please give me your thoughts on the direction I'm heading. The pictures below show the current landscaping.

{{gwi:24419}}
The south side of the driveway is above. There's a nice flowering berry shrub there, a dogwood and some lovely boulders. The area near the sidewalk is currently underutilized, with just a few small rose bushes. The bare patch here is kind of short and wide.

{{gwi:24420}}
The bare patch on this side is long and narrow. You can see the azalea blooming, and a couple of rhodies at the head of the driveway.

{{gwi:24421}}
This is the view from the street. You can see the lovely Pieris japonica by the house.

Comments (15)