SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nnmjdklil

Leyland cypress, way too big… And still growing

nnmjdklil
7 years ago

Quick question about a line of six trees we have planted alongside the chain-link fence between us and our neighbors. I've been told that these are Leyland cypress. Weve been here for four years and they were already pretty tall at that point but they are kind of ridiculous now, especially considering they don't look to be more than 10 feet away from each other. Husband suggested cutting the tops off and shearing down the sides, which I nearly had a mini panic attack after (the suggestion). Can't imagine how horrible that would look, much less how impossible of an endeavor with upkeep.

After looking around on here and online I imagine that others would agree with me so we are discussing other options. I'm wondering if it might be best to just cut down every other one. This would leave about 20 feet between them but I suppose at some point that would get unmanageable too. ?

Another option would be to cut them ALL down and plant something else that would be more manageable. We would like it to serve as a privacy screen of sorts, and I would really like to extend it quite a bit farther up the fence, maybe another 20 feet.

Any suggestions for something that would create at least a little bit of privacy right off the bat, and not be incredibly difficult to manage in several years? And would look halfway decent.

Things to keep in mind are... as it stands now, the branches of these are already encroaching on the neighbors property so not something as wide as this. Also someday when provisions allow, I would like to get a nicer (wood) fence, though I'm not sure how much that should impact this decision since it may not happen for quite a while due to being so low on the priority list. Lastly and I know I may be asking a lot here, but I would like it not to cost an arm and a leg. Husband thinks he can handle the cutting down and re-planting with the help of a family member though I'd of course prefer we leave at least the planting to someone else…

Comments (10)