SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newshockerguy

3 separate tree questions:Weeping willow, Crepe Myrtle, & Holly: pics

Nigel (northern Va; 7A)
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Welp I figured I'd ask my questions as a group rather than three separate threads. This might be a tad long, bare with me :-)

My first set of questions starts with the weeping willow I planted last year. Bought from Lowes, planted behind our house far away from anything. My wife loves weeping willows and I planted it in hopes that it becomes some monstrous beautiful tree...lol

When I planted it last spring it was just about as tall as me, I'm 6'2". Now present day, it's at least 12' tall. I had it "lightly" staked for about one year (maybe a couple months shy of one year) only so that it didn't snap because it was on the thinner side. Two weeks ago I took the stake out of the ground and now it's on it's own. The only thing I am worried about is the current "lean" that is happening with it. Hopefully the picture shows it.

The upper top portion is leaning to the right.. See picture below. Should I be concerned about this or is this the nature of a weeping willow. I know they will weep but I don't want the thing to grow at an angle to the right where it will then be a problem for the tree later on. When it's windy the tree moves a lot. I have read several things saying that the tree will naturally become stronger as it will adapt to nature. Should I trim the upper part of the tree so there is less lean or stake it and pull that to the left? OR, let it takes it's course? Next question is I have noticed there is a slight change in the bark at the bottom. The upper part of the tree is green, where as the lower bark is turning a brownish color. Is this normal? Is this the tree starting to get hard bark or is there a problem? Note that the tree has leaves and isn't dropping any, it appears healthy to me. I say this only because in a year it's grown 6'+... See pictures below.

Next up is a Holly. My neighbor was going to just cut the thing down and I said I'd dig it out and transplant it to the side of our house. It has to be about 12 years old and was very healthy. It was at the front of his house and got probably 8+ hours of sunlight. When I transplanted it, it was back before winter. I dug it out and there was growth for about 2 months since our winters here in VA are not bad, you can see some of the longer pieces up top (that was the new growth). Also before I took a LOT of the dead out... Then we got snow for a day or two, which was cold, then it warmed up, then got cold and then warmed up... all in the matter of about two weeks. Just last month it started dropping ALL it's leaves... Please see picture below. It looks horrible compared to what it did during the winter time. If I lightly scratch the bottom of the trunk there is green (see picture) but the rest of it as far as upper branches are brown and break. If I try bending the lower branches it bends but doesn't break. Is this on the way out, or is it dead? Should I let it be until fall or just dig it out. I will note that it now receives about 4 hours of direct sunlight due to it being on the side of the house :-( Not sure if that has anything to do with it or if it's just the age and didn't like being moved? I have transplanted trees before with success so this struck me as odd, since hollies are pretty resilient and hardy.

Last up is a question about a Crepe Myrtle. We have one in the front of our yard. It's rather large and quite beautiful once it blooms. One day I noticed something growing near the house. I didn't think anything of it until I started seeing green leaves and then the same purple flowers that look exactly like the crepe myrtle... I thought perhaps it was a sucker that reached the house but then I figured it was a seedling (main tree below in first picture is 30' from the house. Second picture is of baby myrtle right up against the house. Needless to say it's covered by other bushes and I would love to dig it out and transplant it to an area that would let it grow. My first question is will this turn into a tree? (See pictures below) It has a few smaller trunks like that of the big crepe myrtle so it makes me think it might turn into a tree after some years as it matures. Should I wait until fall to dig it out and transplant it? I know fall is best when the leaves are dropped and it goes into dormancy but wanted to ask since it was so small now if it would hurt it to move before it gets super hot?

That's all I have for questions, sorry this was a long post but figured if ya can answer one or all questions I would appreciate any advice. I'm in Northern VA as far as region. Right now in April we are starting to get more rain, and the weather will fluctuate between 50-70 degrees. Not yet scorching humid weather but that's probably a month or two away.

Thanks!

-Nigel

Comments (12)