SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dbgardener

Shrubs or Small Trees for Narrow Shade Garden

DBGardener
13 years ago

I have a strip on the north side of my house, which is mostly full shade. It receives 1-2 hours of late afternoon sun in summer, but no direct sun in spring and fall. It was a horribly boring strip of grass, so I have begun turning it into a shade garden with hostas, heucheras, ferns and bruneras.

The problem is the strip is quite long and narrow. It is 50 feet long and only 5 feet wide. I would like to plant 3 shrubs or small trees about 15 feet apart to break up the space and give it some height. I'm looking for suggestions on what I could use.

I would like something that would reach 4-5 feet tall and maybe 3 feet wide. I would be flexible on the height, but 4 feet would be the absolute maximum width, and even that is probably too wide. Flowers would be nice, but they aren't necessary. I can't be too picky given my restrictions.

I have considered Rhododendrons, but I'm not really crazy about them, and I'd rather not worry about amending the ph of my soil in what is otherwise a fairly low-maintenance garden.

So, again, a shrub or small tree, hardy to zone 5, 4-5 feet tall and maybe 3 feet wide that does well in full shade.

I would appreciate any suggestions anyone may have. Thanks!

Comments (15)

Sponsored