SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leslieell

8'-12' tall very narrow tree, shrub

leslieell
10 years ago

Hi, I've searched the forum and seen similar postings but not quite this same dilemma. I have a space 20 feet long by only 26 inches wide - very narrow, I know! Along this stretch I have one space where I need to block an ugly view, perhaps 4 feet long by 8-12 feet high. There is a fence that is 6 feet tall so the privacy is only needed at the top. Ideally, I'd like some space to plant in front of this area... but I'm limited so I'm open.

This area is against a retaining wall so no intrusive roots. Also under power lines... I don't want to fight it to keep it small. One final issue, it's around a pool so litter is an issue. Ideally I'd like to plant a cottage style garden. I'm in Burbank. One website says I'm USDA zone 10a, another says I'm 8b. (I'm searching by zip code so I don't understand the discrepancy.) The area receives full sun.

I've thought about a couple Privet or Photinia that will just fade into the background. Or a hibiscus, or shrubs trained as small trees like duranta, oleander or ceanothus. Maybe Italian Buckthorn, or Viburnum. Then there are the columnar types like Green Tower or Sky Pencil. Is there anything that is narrow and tree like at the bottom but fuller or branch like at the top? Or just a very small tree?

I know I'm all over the place... I'm overwhelmed with online research and visiting gardens and nurseries and I really need advice from real gardeners. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

This post was edited by leslieell on Mon, Aug 12, 13 at 19:11

Comments (10)