SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sharon2079

Looking for Augusta Louise

sharon2079
7 years ago

I don't know what happened to my post? Hope it doesn't show up twice.

Anyway, this rose is supposedly also known as Rachel, which is my daughters name. I think it is very beautiful due to some of you posting pictures on this site.... I went to helpmefind to find out more about it and would now like to purchase one, but I don't see it listed in the US any place. Does anybody know where I could get one in the United States. Thank you.

Comments (57)

• Lisa Adams
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Oh boy. I have a confession to make, Diane. The moment you posted about Palatine carrying AL next year, I immediately sent them an email asking if the rumor I had heard was true, and could I pay a deposit or be put on a list. I didn't mention where I had heard this rumor.

This is one of 2 roses I am really desperate to find. Did you lose yours this winter? That would be a real shame. I've so enjoyed yours, the pics, poems, and your granddaughters incredible drawing. I do hope she survived, and you are wanting a second one. You and Fragrancenutter have brought AL to the top of my dream list. Lisa

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    7 years ago

I grow AGvH, Diane. It has pretty blooms but thus far, I am not very impressed with the plant. It is own-root so maybe grafted would be better. I am actually thinking of putting it in a pot and planting something with more vigor in its place.

• Related Discussions

Please Show Your "Most" Beautiful Rose (s)

Q

Comments (269)
    Carol, Eglantyne is sooo ruffly and a great bloomer! Eglanryne will probably bloom all summer for you same as me because we dont get as hot as Diane’s summers. Diane’s Evelyn is a beauty! Can’t wait to see Evelyn in my garden! You will love them both!!!. i am sure you can find some Austin supplier, hopefully from Phoenix P. Rain water does do well on roses! They love that soft ”no chenicals,” water. Maybe you need a water softener on your hose? Is your water usually ”hard?” D Austins are supposed to bloom more than most rosess-they are shrub roses w/ abundant blooms. I have DAs: PAoK, Anne Bolyne, Desdemona, Harlow Carr, Munstead W., Eglantyne, Abe, Princess Anne, Lich. Angel, B Cadfael, Mary Rose, Heritage, Strawberry Hill, James Galway, & Mayflower and they all bloom constantly. Mary Rose blooms the most, but a few are too new to show their stuff much, yet. I ordered Evelyn, Emily Bronte, Eutacia Vye, Roald Dahl, Silas Marner, Queen of Sweden-we will see how they perform. Carol, Could Straw ship Austin roses to you? I suppose you both wouod deal with shipping fliwers border certification.
    ...See More

Santa leaves you a rose under the tree...

Q

Comments (52)
    Guys, I need to borrow your brains. I have own root bands of mme Alfred Carriere and Somereuil, I just got a MAC this summer after lost a 7-8 years old MAC, it's about 3' tall(2-3 canes). Somereuil is a 3+ year old band, but it's still less than 1' tall, it was a plug size when I received from CA. Now DA has grafted bare root for MAC and Somereuil, should I get them?? I kept putting them in the cart and took them out......more than 3 times. I am thinking the grafted ones should grow up faster. Should I get them?? Thanks
    ...See More

Some Photos of My Baby..... Augusta Luise, that is

Q

Comments (45)
    Flowers, I'm not taking credit for her looks, though I do try to keep winter at bay. So I'll pass your compliments on to Augusta this spring--she's sleeping now as you know-ha. Crazy Love is quite pretty if you haven't checked her out. If you really want to torture yourself, search rose Augusta Luise on Google; then look at Google Images (you may have done this); they are incredible. I'm sure that eventually Tantau will get the message and get their tardy bums in gear. They are probably afraid to deal with us, we're so nutty. Probably have been warned about us already--ha. Diane
    ...See More

Augusta Louise is back

Q

Comments (13)
    I think it stays healthy for most of the time, it might have a little BS at my suburb garden, because I planted so many roses in a suburb lot; the air flow is not prefect; the one at the country garden, I think it has no issues. I will double check that for you and report it back. Here is a baby plant, planted it in May, bloomed for the 1st time at the end of June/early July, it looked pretty healthy.
    ...See More
  • Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    7 years ago

Lisa I did the same thing. He here!! We're so bad. Now if someone will actually hear back from them. They're really good to answer back.

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    7 years ago

Well, that makes three or four of us rattling their cage, so maybe they'll take the hint and propagate a LOT of AL.

I DID tell them I have *several* friends who were wanting it, lol.

• bethnorcal9
    7 years ago

Well, I sent an email as well. I hope they will let us have first grabs at her!! I also asked about that gorgeous Jalbert fl EMMA HAFTL that they show as sold out, which was not even listed in the fall and I don't remember seeing it in the winter either. I want that one too!!

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    7 years ago

I too have really admired Diane's photos. Here is a video posted on YouTube of Augusta Louise. Warning, the music does not suit the rose. However, I appreciate the video, because it shows Augusta Louise in all her colors.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

I just checked my email and Eva had answered me, saying that AL and AGvH are available in pots and can be picked up. What the....I thought it was understood I wanted bareroot plants, so I guess I need to straighten that out. I still may not get those two roses at this rate. My original Augusta is leafed out and looks great, but she's very short---down from nearly 6 feet to less than a foot, due to the cold this past winter. I'll post again if I hear more, and I hope you all luck out and get your roses one way or another. Maybe we should rent a bus and go to Canada! Diane

PS--Thanks for the link, Bonnie. I'll be watching the video in a little while.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    7 years ago

I received my email from palatine and they said it will not be available this next harvest and didn't elaborate on when it might be available. So maybe at a later time. Fingers crossed!!!

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    7 years ago

Same here. Rachel said they had some potted for pickup at the nursery, but not a word about future mailorder. Here's her reply:

Hello John,

Thank you for you email. Yes we have some but they are potted roses so only available for pick up.

Wishing you the very best,

Phone: 905 468 8627 | Fax:905 468 8629

sales@palatineroses.com| https://palatineroses.com
    2108 Four Mile Creek Rd.
    RR#3 Niagara on the Lake, ON, L0S 1J0

Office Hours: Monday to Friday 9:00 - 3:00

I wrote back and asked specifically about bareroot availability next Fall/Spring. Here's hoping...

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

I just got an email from Eva this morning saying that AL is available now for pick up only, and will not be available for mail order (or bareroot) next season. She also mentioned I should tell all of you this, too. So it's now or never for AL. Since Palatine is a continent away from me, I guess I'm out. Diane

• Lisa Adams
    7 years ago

Oh goody, Fig. I'm glad you did that. I didn't even get an email back from them and I offered to send them $ on the spot! Oh well, I'll be eagerly waiting to hear what they reply to your question about next seasons bareroots. Lisa

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

Lisa, AL will not be available next season. Eva was very clear about that (see above). They don't ship potted roses, either. So this is it. Right now. Niagara falls is a long way away! Diane

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    7 years ago

I wonder if we could bribe Summersrhythm to make a trip to buy all the AL they have and then have her ship them to us, lol....just a (daydream) thought.

Ummm....that sounds a tad desperate, doesn't it? lol

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    7 years ago

Is AL is still under patent? If not, could we make a plea for those who have nice, big healthy ones (Diane, we know yours is struggling after this winter) to take pity on those of us who are salivating for one and offer top dollar for a cutting?

• bethnorcal9
    7 years ago

Yeah... I got an email back this morning from Rachel and she said AL is not being grown for the coming season. She didn't even mention having it in pots. She also said they do not take pre-orders for anything. I had asked about the rose EMMA HAFTL and she said it will be available "again" so I assume she meant this fall. They all must think we're a bunch of nutjobs emailing about the same rose. They're probably rolling their eyes with each reading...

• Hans
    7 years ago

I wish, I could send you some plants as they are available here everywhere, but the only thing I can offer you are some pics from last summer. I know it isn't much of a consolation.

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    7 years ago

Gee, thanks Hans. That just makes it worse! lol. But that is one gorgeous rose. Enjoy her.

Flowersaremusic, AL is under patent for TWO.MORE.YEARS. Arrrrrrrrrrrrgggggghh!

I just heard back from Rachel the second time. She said they weren't growing it for 2017/18, but they were offering Ascot, which I know some others were wanting.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    7 years ago

Gorgeous gorgeous pics!!!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

Yeah, Hans, are you trying to torture us? They are stunning photos, though. I think my AL will be just fine, but she's a shorty right now.

Haha, Beth, nutjobs, that's us. Eva even said I should tell all my friends (you poor obsessed people) that AL wouldn't be available next year. All we have to do is charter a bus, and have it run around, picking everybody up, and then on to Ontario, Canada. Side trip to Niagara Falls for fun, and then crash at Summers' house. I want to see all her roses, anyway. How does that sound? Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

Oh, flowers, how much is top dollar? Everyone has a price-heheh. Diane

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    7 years ago

Diane, I think you've hit on the perfect scenario...now if we could all just afford it, lol.

Oh...just a stray thought: I wonder how many potted roses will fit in the luggage bays of a tour bus? Hmmmmm.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    7 years ago

I think Annie Laurie McDowel is available from Burlington Roses. At least she was a couple of years ago.

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    7 years ago

I don't think Burling has Annie Laurie McDowell (ALMD) anymore. When she did, it was because Kim Rupert personally gave her cuttings. ALMD isn't a fast grower and her mother plant couldn't keep up with the demand. I think if her mother plant had been budded, that would have helped. The plant that Kim took cuttings from is budded on Pink Clouds.

Annie Laurie McDowell is a seedling of Renae, also a great rose. While Renae's flowers have fewer petals, she is also nearly thornless and has the same, long peach-like leaves that I love. Her canes are more limber and she is the more vigorous plant. For beautiful photos of Renae, please see Carolyn Parker's: Rose Notes part I and Rose Notes part II. Rogue Valley Roses, Burlington Roses and a few other mail order nurseries have Renae if anyone is interested. Sorry to get off topic.

7 years ago

Diane, not sure what everyone would consider top dollar, but maybe if we also came bearing gifts and brought your talented family along to entertain them.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

Flowers, my family would have to go on the pink party bus with us nutjobs. I don't think they'd like that, especially the teenagers. They would never recover their dignity. You have made me think, though, what could you offer a seller of roses to send some potted ones by Fed Ex? There's got to be a dollar amount that would make them change their policy of pick up only. Maybe $100 per rose? Fifty? Interesting thoughts from a devious mind. What do you guys think out there? We could all pitch in a set amount for a rose, and the Forum member selected to receive the rose would care for it for a set time. Then the selected person would take cuttings, and send those cuttings to the rose buying syndicate. The person doing all the work would have to receive some compensation (free cuttings or the rose itself after cuttings were taken). Probably individuals should make their own bribes directly to Palatine. This is fun. Diane

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    7 years ago

Who knew rose lovers were so deviously minded? lol.

7 years ago

You're probably right about the teenagers, but, I think you've got a splendid idea, and if we collected enough, Palantine could make a small fortune on our insanity. Someone would have to be designated bookkeeper and someone to raise our very expensive rose baby(ies), preferably in a zone where roses don't die. I would be willing to pay a little extra for the rose caretaker to root my cutting. But, do we have to be called a syndicate? It just sounds so shady.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

Cosa Rosetra? Rose Mafia? Diane

7 years ago

Oh, geeze, Diane. Can't we be called something respectable like society or guild? But if Cosa Rosetra or Rose Mafia are our choices, then syndicate will do just fine.

• bethnorcal9
    7 years ago

You guys are too funny. How about Ruthless Rosarians?

• Lisa Adams
    7 years ago

Lol!!! Lisa I guess Augusta Louise won't be coming to live at my house:( Paletine never did get back to me at all. I guess I'm one of the ones she figured Diane would let know. Oh, well.

Burling does not have Annie Laurie McDowall anymore. My two "must have" roses are not looking too promising. I have not given up hope, however. Lisa

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

How about going to the heart of the matter and we band together, emailing Tantau until we drive them nuts, requesting they get their roses over here pronto before there is an international incident. Actually, I wonder if some of us went directly to Tantau we might get some answers, maybe even convincing them to enter US markets. It's easy to contact them through their website. That's how I got their beautiful free catalog. Why do they send this expensive catalog out to people who can't buy their roses? Makes no sense. Diane

• Hans
    7 years ago

Maybe this can help:

Tantau representation USA

O.S. International Inc.

21817 N.E. Heartwood Circle

Fairview, 97024 OR

Tel. +001 503 49 22722

Email: osintl@w-link.net

• lavenderlacezone8
    7 years ago

I can't believe I just found this thread! I spent an hour yesterday trying to find some Tantau roses and everybody here is already on the case!

7 years ago

Bethnorcal, I like Ruthless Rosarians. Enough respectability for me, with a touch of the nefarious for my friend. A little something for everyone. Since we're all in this together, we should agree on our handle.

Thanks, Hans! By the time we're through with them, there'll be no doubts about how desperately this rose is desired in the USA.

• Hans
    7 years ago

Diane... Ma'am... is there a way you can take cuttings once your AL is growing healthy again? It looks like you may have a business here.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

Hans, I already thought of that. When Augusta is large enough for cuttings, they will be $100 each. Just kidding, folks, maybe. I'll have see how it goes with AL. She's really going to town but needs a lot more height. I need to try the Tantau Rep. I was surprised to see they are located right next door in Oregon. Maybe I should drive over there and try a little arm twisting, courtesy of la Cosa Rosetra.

Flowers, you're a neighbor of the Tantau rep, too.

Hans, thank you for addressing me properly--heheh. Diane

• suncoastflowers
    7 years ago

Maybe you could send a rooted cuttings to one of the more experienced ( read:not me ) forum members down in the south. Our growing seasons are longer and she would be ready to donate cuttings sooner. Then we could either buy/ship or buy/pass them up and over to the next nearest person. I'd drive a ways for a great rose and so love this one.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

Well, suncoast, my Augusta isn't ready for cuttings, but the real problem is that she is still under patent, and even a la Cosa Rosetra member has to honor that. I think it's up to Tantau now. Diane

• suncoastflowers
    7 years ago

Oh, reading the other comment, I thought she was out of patent. No, rooting before then would be a no no, even for La Coss Rosetta!

• lxxfcp
    6 years ago

Any updates on this thread? I’v been looking for Augusta luise for quite a while. It’s interesting this rose is not available na and it’s not under any patent

FP

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    6 years ago

After all the humorous comments above, I realized that not only can we not bring roses across the border from Canada to the US, we would also be breaking the law sending plant material across many state lines. Idaho is getting strict about plant material coming into the state. So, back to square one, I guess. As far as Augusta Luise's lack of patent, that's an unknown for me. But you could try sending an email to Tantau about the issue. Go to their website, and there is information about contacting them. Tantau is very attached to AL and proud of this rose, though, patent issue or not. Diane

• Garden Time 6B Boise Idaho
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

How would we go about campaigning for some more local offerings? I looked at the Tantau website and it seems most of their list is new to me. Is this one of those cases where talking to a particular grower, with money in hand to cover some set minimum order requirement would get us some action?

My German kind of lacks in vocabulary, but I understand all of the "the", "a", and "with" so I would have to resort to google translate or something to contact them.

Maybe Burlington or some of the other bigger names here like ARE, Heirloom, or RU?

I wouldn't be too surprised if we could drive up a 50 plant order for AL just from the regulars here.

EDIT TO ADD

Hooray for other people being much more multilingual than I am!

I have just sent an email to Tantau asking about the option for doing a bulk order for those interested here, and additional information to see about potentially having it sold by a US source. I admit to being completely novice, and whatever they send will probably cruise straight over my head but, its a first step!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    6 years ago

You can't bring plants in from Germany without going through a lengthy and costly process that includes quarantine and a phytosanitary permit, Garden Time. It doesn't matter how many plants you try to order. Each plant goes through this process. I had no problem writing to them in English requesting their catalog. The catalog is in English also. Diane

6 years ago

So, I take it the importer or exporter, or both, must go through the process for each variety of rose, rather than for the company, Tantau, as a whole, encompassing all roses they export. In other words, it's the singular rose variety, not the company, that is required to pass the requirements for an entry permit?

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    6 years ago

The quarantine, I believe, is for each Rose not variety of rose, to make sure it's free from pests Etc that could devastate our agriculture.

6 years ago

Vaporvac, I'm sure you're right. Places like RU, who sell roses from Germany and France, must initially only purchase a small amount, then have permission to propagate from those? It's a complicated business for those who sell European roses. The initial paperwork must be overwhelming.

• lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

That's why I'm so sad that Heirloom, who sold Tantau's Twice in a Blue Moon last year, is phasing them out after all of that. The scent is divine, no matter the color. And if there wasn't a market for lavender roses, how we explain their quick sellout of the $99 Sterling Silver?

6 years ago

$99 for an oldie that's available at the big box stores is just crazy! By assigning it that price tag, they made it very desirable. I don't grow it, but have heard it's not reliable, not hardy, and not very lavender. In all fairness, wonderful scent and few thorns.

I don't understand the practices of these rose companies. Bottom line, I guess.

IMHO, Love Song, Poseidon, Violet's Pride, Lavender Veranda, Quick Silver, Neptune, Plum Perfect, also Blue for You and Rhapsody in Blue - just a few off the top of my head that everyone seems to love - are more dependable bloomers and all cold hardy.

• lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

I didn't buy the Sterling Silver but have helped keep Tantau's TiaBM sold out! If it's that hard to bring them in, it's amazing that they would let them phase out. I have so many lavenders but the Tantau fragrance is a step above, IMHO.