SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nanadoll_gw

Some Photos of My Baby..... Augusta Luise, that is

Augusta Luise is all snug in her winter bed of compost and leaves, since the lows all this week will be in the 22F range, and she's pretty cold sensitive. But I have pictures! Some have been posted before, but that's all I can show now up here in the frozen north. Everything is sleeping until spring. Good night, rosies. Diane

Augusta's colors change from flush to flush with no rhyme or reason.

A very close up....

Comments (45)

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Oh swoon!!!! I love the color changes...but I especially love the stuffed look in that color!!! Droolicious!

Carol

nanadollZ7 SWIdaho thanked rosecanadian
  • Related Discussions

Farewell, til Spring, Augusta Luise

Q

Comments (19)
    Thank you all so much. I've already mentioned to Clare the nice comments she received for her art, which was actually was supposed to appear at the bottom of my post. The art was done completely on her computer drawing tablet. In high school she wore her first tablet out, so I gave her a bigger one for HS graduation. I think she will go into some kind of computer animation field, if possible. Her computer skills are formidable (a little bragging there). But she did give me an AL watercolor of the rose only last year. To answer your questions--my AL is grafted on multiflora. I purchased her the last year Hortico sold her. It took three years for her scent to mature, and this year it was astounding with wonderful wafting from just one bloom in a bouquet. Hans, your AL is so lovely, and I know she'll flourish in your wonderful garden. Diane Here are a few more AL pics:
    ...See More

Augusta Luise, one of my perfect roses

Q

Comments (25)
    This conversation about AL makes me VERY happy I put her where I did. I do not have many truly good spots for roses; my soil is surprisingly alkaline and hard clay plus excessive tree roots and lots of shade. The spot she is in has good loam and good sun. She does seem to like this spot and I hope moving her a couple of weeks ago (condensing roses to make more room for roses) doesn’t throw her off. The move was only about three feet so conditions should be the same. She is probably my most coveted rose and I really want her to grow up to look like Diane’s!
    ...See More

Gruss an Coburg vs Augusta Luise

Q

Comments (20)
    I've had Gruss an Coburg for awhile though haven't grown it well in the ground. It did fine in a pot for a long time. Then I planted it in the ground and it died. Something about the spot I guess. I planted a second one which is doing ok but not that big here in zone 7, NC. It does have very good repeat and fragrance. Leaves do better with some morning sun. I'd think your band from Burling will do well potted up. I think it likes a warm climate.
    ...See More

Augusta Luise on own roots?

Q

Comments (25)
    I had no idea you were still dealing with snow, Flowers. Ugh. Here, it hasn't been especially warm, but I'm going full bore pruning. I swore I'd only prune 10 roses this year, and compare them to the non pruned ones. Well, that didn't happen because if you put me near some pruners, I am compelled to do a full prune. I hate it. The punctures, scratches, ripped up clothing, and wearing that d**m hoodie to protect my head are awful. Then I come inside with a totally squashed hairdo. Plus I look like some alien being in my big ripped up corduroy coat. You can't imagine how awful I look when I prune. OK. Rant over. Are you going to do the full prune thing? We're too old for that stuff. Diane
    ...See More
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    6 years ago

I agree with Lisa, soooo not fair! lol

Loving all her color changes. How large does she get there and what is her frangrance like? We need all her lovely details lol.

~Sjn

nanadollZ7 SWIdaho thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Gorgeous!!

do you grow "at last "? Care to share info if so ? :)

nanadollZ7 SWIdaho thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • Dave5bWY
    6 years ago

Beautiful, beautiful Diane!!! AL is always amazing no matter her color mood. I love those ruffled petals. I’m so glad she made it through last winter. Thanks for sharing this on a cold December day!

nanadollZ7 SWIdaho thanked Dave5bWY
  • Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
    6 years ago

Diane,

Where have I been, not looking into Augusta Louise for my own garden until viewing shots of your spectacular specimen just here in this post?

Thanks a million for the shots....very inspirational!

Moses

nanadollZ7 SWIdaho thanked Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    6 years ago

Tell me again why this rose isn't available. It is certainly one of the most interesting roses out there.

You are a lucky ducky Diane

nanadollZ7 SWIdaho thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
    6 years ago

Kristine,

It appears Palatine has Augusta Louise, at least as far as I know. It is currently listed on their web site.

Moses

nanadollZ7 SWIdaho thanked Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
  • dianela7analabama
    6 years ago

Wow Amazing pictures. Love, love the color changes and I really want it now lol. My list of roses for next year is getting impossibly long =).

nanadollZ7 SWIdaho thanked dianela7analabama
  • lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

Absolutely stunning blooms Nanadoll! Her foliage looks wonderful too!

nanadollZ7 SWIdaho thanked lavenderlacezone8
  • nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks so much, everyone. If AL weren't so cold sensitive, she's be perfect. Her scent is wonderful. We don't have fungal diseases here, so no problems on her foliage. She's about 4X3 feet, but is pretty hemmed in by other plants. I purchased her from Hortico several years ago, and she is grafted on multiflora rootstock.

As far as Palatine goes, I had a running "conversation" with the owners about AL. She was for sale for a limited time period as a potted plant in their nursery last year, for pick up only. You can not legally enter the US with AL as a potted plant, however. Palatine seems to go back and forth on the Tantau roses, so I don't know why she is still listed on their site. I think Palatine is the only outlet over here for Ascot, too.

Tantau does not have an agent in the US, and seems to be in no hurry to get one. So only the older Tantau roses are available here, but not the newer ones. You can obtain a gorgeous Tantau catalog (was free last year) on their website, you just can't buy all those beautiful roses in the photos. Weird......Lily, I don't grow At Last, but her name is wonderful. I'll check that rose out. Probably another I want but don't have room for.

Thanks again for your wonderful comments. It helps me deal with winter to read them 'cause things aren't so beautiful now. Diane

Til Spring

• titian1 10b Sydney
    6 years ago

Diane, those are beautiful photos. I'm so glad you managed to save her. I hope you have a better season next year - couldn't be much worse!

Augusta Luise is available here (unfortunately she wouldn't look right with my Teas). Maybe it would be possible for me to send you all some? But with the season difference it would pose a problem.

nanadollZ7 SWIdaho thanked titian1 10b Sydney
  • lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

Those are really luscious Diane! Thanks again for your recommendation of Evelyn. I have my desk covered with her because it just went from the 80's to lower 20's tonight so pretty sure that's it for the year. Amazing that I hesitated on her because I thought that she was fussy!

Trish, I wonder if you and Diane happen to notice anything common with the scents from a certain breeder? For example, I swoon over Tantau's but Kordes doesn't agree with me as a general rule. But lots of people love the new Parfuma series so it's just me!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    Original Author
    6 years ago

LL, I haven't smelled the Parfuma series from Kordes, but the few Kordes roses I have grown, or still grow, have no scent at all that I can detect. Ascot has little to no scent which for some is a big drawback. Some Meilland roses smell wonderful (Frederic Mistral), but I don't smell much scent on Colette or Abbey de Cluny. For me, the Austin roses have the most consistent scents. There are two or three variations, though the way Austin describes them, you'd think there were a couple of hundred scent variations. I think Munstead Wood, Evelyn, Eglantyne, and others have a very similar scent.....I'm glad you like Evelyn so well. She's a favorite of mine, and I think I'm going to like Abe Darby just as much. I hope those temps don't wipe out the blooms. I still can't get over having 80s during the day with the temp plummeting to 20s at night. Surely it's high 20s. I wish I had a few of your bouquets. Diane

• lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

Oh, yes love most of my Austins! First year Abe grew like a weed here but never made a single bud, while the first year Evelyns are covered, and of course, Jude's always blooming. Dying to smell Abe but I guess it will have to be next year. I loved your pictures of "Twig Darby" looking wonderful!

We had 90's last month, with a couple of high 20's, but tonight is supposed to be around 23, though thankfully the winds are dying down. If the yo-yo isn't hard enough on the roses, it's certainly hard on me! I don't think this is normal weather here though, seems awfully warm, or maybe I just feel it more.

Thanks again for the AL info and for the thrilling pictures!

• titian1 10b Sydney
    6 years ago

lavenderlace, I can't comment on scents from various breeders, as I virtually only grow Teas. I do have Summer Memories, which has a mild scent - of raspberries?, I think.

I grew Abe briefly, and adored the scent. Between it and MIP, I'd find it hard to choose for scent, but Abe might win by a nose!

nanadollZ7 SWIdaho thanked titian1 10b Sydney
  • Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    6 years ago

I adore that rose far to winter tender for my area thou. I'm always on the look out for a hardier look a like.

nanadollZ7 SWIdaho thanked Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
  • lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

Trish, I'm so glad that MIP was great for you! I couldn't wait to smell her but she was scentless and huge here, though I'm sure that she would have improved if I would have been more patient. But one of the organic experts thought that she would stay that way in my sandy soil, so out they went!

So much for the forecast of 23!

Since it was below that by the 10 PM news, I figured that they might be off but they stayed with it. They didn't act embarrassed either, LOL, when it was 15 degrees here this morning and the southern, usually warmer, areas had record setting snow.

Fun for a day or two but I can see how poor Diane can get weary of it fast.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    Original Author
    6 years ago

LL, I saw where San Antonio, TX got snow and there were several photos, too. It was 19F here last night, so you beat us in the cold contest. I'm so go glad I got my nine cold sensitive roses protected. It's somewhat colder than average right now, according to the news. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Patty, have you seen photos of Crazy Love? It's very new, from Kordes, but shown on HMF. It looks a little like Augusta Luise. Diane

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    6 years ago

Looks like almost everyone's starting to get some colder weather now. We are suppose to have our first freeze her tomorrow night. We got our greenhouse organized and almost all the tender stuff in there. I have to get the gh heater out of storage tomorrow and go get some propane for it grrr. Such a pain but I shouldn't whine because it will prob go back up to 80F during the day in a week or so lol.

Crazy Love is so beautiful!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    Original Author
    6 years ago

SJN, it's been quite cold in Boise for some time, since most winters start early around here. So some of my roses look pretty dormant, and others are well on there way, which is a good thing. There are always the laggards that think summer's coming back. Drop your leaves already, Love Song! I hate to see you get freezing temps way down there in Florida, but zooming back to 80F and back down to freezing can't be good. What few tender things I have are in the garage, and the rest are dead (annuals-ha). Diane

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    6 years ago

I have just planted my new Augusta Luise this week. Thank-you Diane for showing me what I have to look forward to.

Daisy

nanadollZ7 SWIdaho thanked daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
  • nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Daisy, thank you as well. Augusta is lucky to be part of your beautiful garden. I'm sure she will appreciate your weather, and will thrive in your garden's sun and mild winters. Diane

• bella rosa
    6 years ago

Wonderful pictures of Augusta, Diane!! I always enjoy seeing your rose pics - your garden is stunning. I have Julia Child on my list for next year based on your beautiful pics. How large would you say she gets in your garden? I'm in Zone 5b and I see that you're in Zone 7, so I'm not expecting the same size. Just curious..

nanadollZ7 SWIdaho thanked bella rosa
  • jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    6 years ago

Just now seeing this thread! Great looking roses Nanadoll!

nanadollZ7 SWIdaho thanked jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
  • Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    6 years ago

Thanks Diane, Yep I've seen her. I've got one from Palatine and I'm getting one own root from Northland. I did not like it at first but by the end of the season this year she was looking really good. So good that I went ahead and ordered the own root plant.

nanadollZ7 SWIdaho thanked Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
  • nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Be sure to let us see some photos of Crazy Love, Patty. She's a gorgeous rose, and I hope your two both thrive and come through your winter just fine.

Thanks, Bella Rosa. My two grafted (on Dr Huey) Julia Child roses are about 6X6 feet. They are chubby girls. I have an own root Julia that is pretty new and smaller, but doing well. I hope your new Julia will grow and bloom beautifully in your garden next year.

Thanks, Jim. How is your Julia doing now that it is colder? I dumped some leaves on my newer one. We've been running quite cold lately, and the inversion keeps that cold air trapped around us. Yuck. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Nickelsmumz, (hope I spelled that correctly), here are some photos for you. Good luck in your quest. Diane

• lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

Diane, I can't see your photos!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    Original Author
    6 years ago

LL, boy did I goof. I meant for nickelmumz to see this thread, which I bumped to the top. I should have posted a link. Guess I was in a hurry to get to the store (thrill). You've got to cut an old lady some slack-ha. I'm sorry I was so confusing, but here are some new photos for you. Diane

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Diane !!!!!! oh my goodness BBB (beautiful beyond belief)!!!!! Is that August Louise again? Oh wow!!! Swoon!!!

Carol

• bella rosa
    6 years ago

Diane! Those pics are stunning. I'm with Carol they are BBB! :-)

• fragrancenutter
    6 years ago

You really have some of the nicest pictures of this rose Diane!

nanadollZ7 SWIdaho thanked fragrancenutter
  • nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you, Carol, bella, and fragrance. It's fun taking photos of AL because she's so easy to photograph. You guys (in the West that means everybody), are the best. Fragrance, I can't hold a candle to you and your wide ranging photos, beautiful arrangements, and all the many plants you grow so perfectly. Then there's that monster thread of yours. What an accomplishment. Every time I see how many posts there are on it, I am so amazed, but not surprised.

Carol, how are you doing? When I see one of your posts, I think, in spite of setbacks, she persists. I have a big button with that saying, and I should send it to you. It's one of my favorite things to say about strong women.

Bella, are you fairly new to this forum? Welcome, if you are. I looks like you are a cold zoner. It's awful here right now, thanks to the famous "Boise inversion".

Diane

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    6 years ago

Swoon. What a beauty

nanadollZ7 SWIdaho thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

Oh my goodness, those were worth waiting for, WOW! Is the scent fruity or?

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi LL, the scent is a stronger rose scent--one I can't describe, but other roses have similar ones. It's not fruity, though, or soft. Diane

• lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

Thanks! I love the depths of her colors too, not a flat shade in any way.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    6 years ago

Diane, every time I think I've found a good substitute that (sort of) takes the place of Augusta Luise, I see yours and am struck once again that NO OTHER rose can take her place. She's the epitome of how a rose should look. She is the most exquisite rose I've ever seen.

nanadollZ7 SWIdaho thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Flowers, I'm not taking credit for her looks, though I do try to keep winter at bay. So I'll pass your compliments on to Augusta this spring--she's sleeping now as you know-ha. Crazy Love is quite pretty if you haven't checked her out. If you really want to torture yourself, search rose Augusta Luise on Google; then look at Google Images (you may have done this); they are incredible. I'm sure that eventually Tantau will get the message and get their tardy bums in gear. They are probably afraid to deal with us, we're so nutty. Probably have been warned about us already--ha. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Flowers, I just checked out the rose Claude Monet on Google Images, and that rose has some AL look alike possibilities. Others on the forum are searching for it, too. Diane

• bella rosa
    6 years ago

Diane, actually I'm not new to the rose forum. I've been on it for years. Thanks for asking and please continue to post pics of your beautiful roses. :-)

nanadollZ7 SWIdaho thanked bella rosa
  • flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    6 years ago

Diane, yes, I often torture myself by looking at AL on google. There are some gorgeous ones, but yours, by far, is always the nicest I've seen. Something about that rich Idaho soil makes yours extra special - ha! - I know your soil is about as rich as mine. But, whatever you do, she's loving it. I know Claude Monet, and I wouldn't mind having it, but he's no AL.

nanadollZ7 SWIdaho thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Diane - even more wonderous rose pictures!!! That rose never stops! I think I'm pretty much back to normal now...still a little dizzy...but oh well. :) I'm going to see a neuro-opthamologist before Christmas. Maybe they'll find a way to stop my blindness...you never know??!!! :)

Carol