SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

This Coming Weekend's Weather April 21-23

Well, I included Friday in the weekend since the rain is expected to begin then.

Are you watching the forecast for the approaching cold front, possible severe weather and rainfall?

I've been watching it for a couple of days now, ever since the NWS uttered the words "heavy rainfall". Of course, when you are watching the forecast for a date 4-7 days out from the current day, the forecast is unsettled and still can change a lot. Having said that, I no longer think the term 'heavy rainfall' applies to my part of Oklahoma since the heavier rain seems like it keeps shifting more northward. Some of you, though, may get more rain than you want or need. Carol, You and Al may need to start building an ark.

Here's the current QPF showing forecasted rainfall amounts over the next 7 days. Keep in mind that this map updates multiple times daily and a lot can change in a short time:

Seven Day QPF

The cold front will bring a night or two of temperatures dropping into the 40s, and I expect that the further north you are, the lower in the 40s your overnight lows might drop.

As for possible Severe Weather, we'll just have to watch and wait and see how things come together, but I did notice last night that even though we are really far south, our local TV met said we could have March-like winds this weekend with gusts in the mid-30s or higher. I'm not looking forward to that. I think that hail and tornadoes are less of a risk way down here and may be a slightly higher risk in central thru northern OK but we'll just have to see where the severe weather unfolds as the cold front collides with our hot weather.

Apart from gardening, what would talk about in April and May if our weather weren't going nuts on a regular basis and slamming our gardens and landscapes with some weather conditions we don't need (hail, wind, tornadoes, etc.) and some we generally welcome (rain, unless you're already had too much)?

Let's enjoy the pretty days we are having right now, mud and puddles and all, because it seems like things may veer towards 'worse' instead of 'better' in a few days. I know rain always is a blessing, but it is harder to feel blessed if you're about to get 3-5" of rain on top of all the rain that just fell. On the other hand, drought-busting rain still is needed in many areas. It is a shame that often it takes flooding rainfall to really bust a drought.

Dawn

Comments (10)