Any singles homeowners, men and women, being called "you guys?"

edamamebuns

I just bought my second home as a single lady and this time I noticed something really odd--as people come over to do maintenance, repairs, and remodels before I move into the place, I'm often being referred to as "you guys." There's no ring on the finger, no sign of money being paid from a joint account, and no man that they've ever had to deal with through this whole process. It didn't happen so much with my first house (slightly smaller but same number of bedrooms) and I'm just curious how many singles, both men and women, have experienced this assumption from others that they are in a relationship and share their home with somebody else.

Usually when this happens I just continue to use "I" and hope people get the idea. They typically don't. It doesn't offend me but I wish I can think of a funnier response. What do you do when this happens?

SaveComment6Like
Comments (6)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sushipup1

Ignore it. Not worth a mention. Altho I am married, I do not wear a ring, and I don't care if tradespeople think I am the owner, a co-owner, renter, or the next door neighbor.

Save    
LaLennoxa

Yes. Ha! Depends totally on my mood and if I care to "correct" or "confound" the assumptive person. It's actually not their business. So, I might start talking about the faeries who live with me; or ask if they are dealing with anyone else other than whom they see right before them...

1 Like Save    
bleusblue2

I prefer they think i'm part of a couple -- for a single woman, it's better if unknown tradespeople think that. Do you agree?

3 Likes Save    
sushipup1

"I might start talking about the faeries who live with me; or ask if they
are dealing with anyone else other than whom they see right before
them..."

If you want honest, neat, timely, efficient work from tradespeople, I suggest that you treat them with respect.

1 Like Save    
PRO
Whitelacey

It's just an expression; it's not meant to denote your marital status. Personally, I hate the term.

Save    
Pea

I'm fine with people assuming i have others in the house.

Save    

Related Stories

Decorating Guides Design It Like a Man: Tips for Single Guys Planning a Bedroom
What guys should consider — aside from the Xbox — to design a bedroom that's comfortable, stylish and accommodating
Full Story
Holidays Houzz Call: Guys, Where Do You Feel Most at Home?
For Father’s Day, we’d like to hear from the men. What part of your house makes you feel most like yourself — grounded and alive?
Full Story
Data Watch Decorating Trends: A New Houzz Survey Shows What Homeowners Want
Is the TV gaining or losing ground? Are women or men trendier? Find out and learn more about people’s decorating plans right here
Full Story
Product Picks Guest Picks: Sophisticated Bedroom Finds for a Single Guy
No black-light posters, please. These bedroom furniture pieces and accessories offer grown-up style with a masculine flair
Full Story
Moving 9 Things New Homeowners Know to Be True
Just moved into a new home? Congratulations! The fun is about to begin
Full Story
Features You Won't Believe What These Homeowners Found in Their Walls
From the banal to the downright bizarre, these uncovered artifacts may get you wondering what may be hidden in your own home
Full Story
Your First House 20 Tools Every Homeowner Should Have
You probably have a hammer, but that's just a start. These 20 tools and devices are superstars for household projects and repairs
Full Story
Most Popular Why Men Really Do Need a Cave
Don't dismiss cars, bars and the kegerator — a man space of some kind is important for emotional well-being at home
Full Story
Feel-Good Home Houzz Call: Where (and What) Are You Reading This Summer?
Whether you favor contemporary, classic or beach reads, do the long and lazy days of summer bring out the lit lover in you?
Full Story