SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnnm

I'm Finally Decorating Again . . . DD's New Apartment!

LynnNM
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Decorating has been truly a lifelong passion for me. But, our home is done, and has been for a number of years now. Unlike some people, I have no desire to redo rooms anymore. I like them the way they are, and living in them makes me happy. But, I've been wanting a new project for a long time . . . and now I finally have one: DD's entire new apartment, and I'm loving every minute of it! As I mentioned a while back, she graduated from the University of Oklahoma (OU) this past December. She's been working there since then, but is headed to grad school in early-June at the University of Colorado, Colorado Springs (UCCS). We had to look for apartments online, but have found a really nice 1-bedroom in a fairly new complex close to UCCS. Top floor (3rd) , end apartment with a smallish balcony that faces north with a mountain view. The view was important to DD, as she was born and raised in our New Mexico mountains and has missed them a lot.

Anyhoo, she has most of what she needs for her bedroom and bathroom already, as she's been sharing a 4 bedroom house in Norman with 3 of her sorority sisters for the past three years. Now, though, she needs furniture for her living room, as well as a LOT of kitchen stuff. Up until now, pretty much all of her furniture, other than her mattress, box springs and desk chair have been garage sale or consignment shop finds that she and I have redone when needed. I can't handle buying upholstered furniture used unless I know the person, plus both my kids are very allergic to cats, so we're buying her this new sofa and chair. BTW, she wants to (wisely) go with neutrals, with accent colors of aqua and coral. Those are the colors already in her bedroom.

To bring in more color, she's just bought these throw pillows to use on the sofa (2) and chair (1). I tried to talk her into a different pattern for the chair, but she insisted on wanting them all the same.

She'd been looking online for coffee tables, but a friend suggested we try consignment shops. Great advice because I found and bought this one last week at a local consignment shop. It's in perfect condition and I love the practicality of the two deep drawers that roll out, one from each side. I paid $160 for it, which I think was a fair price. It had just been reduced from $200.

Side view, taken while still in the back of my minivan:
Drawers open:
Detail of metal work which is all in great condition and on both sides and at every top corner:

She has 2 end tables, painted aqua, in her bedroom now, that she is going to move to her new living room. We're just going to have to redo the hardware from white to a bronze. I am totally NOT up to redoing the finish on the tables themselves at this point in time, though! And, because she's my daughter, she already has a great art collection (LOL). Nothing very valuable, but all make her very happy, which is most important IMO. The piece below is one of her birthday gifts from us last month. I think that it's going to work very well with the rest in there. I made a mock-up of that part of her living room for her to see, and she loves it so far:

To the right will be her chair and a floor lamp tray table. And then the door to her balcony. Directly across the room will be her credenza that will hold her TV, it's paraphernalia, and her DVD collection. With more art above it, and a nice lamp on it. Off to the far left is her eating bar and kitchen. No room for a kitchen table, but we're giving her these two bar stools of ours:

My friend and I are recovering the seats in this "faux crocodile" upholstery vinyl, which I've already ordered:
It's practical, as spilled food and drink will wipe right off , and the aqua color will carry her accent color to the other side of the room.

Anyhoo, thanks for letting me share my newest project with you all. It's fun creating this, but also fun sharing it, as well.

Comments (30)