SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juddgirl2

Finally redecorating DD's room - how to stay motivated?!

juddgirl2
13 years ago

Long post but please help me stay motivated - I have decorating ADD and major procrastination issues! How do you stay on task until a project is done?

I've been promising 7-yr old DD we'll redecorate her room for a few years now. It's still done in her nursery colors - red, light blue and butter yellow. Kind of a "shabby chic/English country meets primitive" look.

But the girl loves pink, along with everything that sparkles and shines! So, we're going for an all out girly, shabby chic look.

I bought a light blue w/pink floral fabric for the duvet cover years ago. Her red and cream buffalo check rocker is sold and will be replaced with an Ethan Allen swivel rocker ($30 CL find) that will be slipcovered in a white matelasse (NOT tackling the slipcover project myself!).

Below are pics of the before chair, the CL chair and the inspiration slipcovered chair. My plan:

Done: sold stuff on CL to pay for the redo. Bought a sample of SW White Dogwood for the walls and Pure White for the furniture. Bought, washed and dried white canvas for curtain panels. Ordered white matelasse for the chair slipcover and a beautiful grey-blue linen for accent pillows and ruffles for the curtains.

To do: sign up for sewing classes to dust off my verrrry rusty sewing skills and at the same time work on the pillows, curtains, and the duvet cover. If I commit to weekly classes I'll get the projects done (right?).

Drop off the chair at the seamstress once the fabric arrives. Talk DH into helping me paint the room (I'd do it myself but he's a perfectionist about his painting).

Replace her wide dresser and toy box with a tall dresser and possibly a pine writing desk for the end of the bed. Paint and distress new dresser, existing red bookshelf, and some odds and ends. Get DH to help me duplicate the gorgeous PB rustic wall shelf (that's $400!) . . . and talk him into replacing the ceiling fan with a sparkly chandelier.

Yikes - I actually love doing these types of projects but I'm getting overwhelmed again! I work full-time so these are weekend projects. It's doable even for a procrastinator, right?

Nursery chair:

CL Ethan Allen chair (just her size, clean and comfy!):

Inspiration slipcover:

Comments (16)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm