SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elissamjc

Zone 10a- Seeking suggestions for shade-loving climber...

...for my west-facing covered patio on the second floor. It's a tricky spot, as it receives just a few very short precious hours of direct mid-to-late-afternoon sun before it sets behind a large hill. The container itself would most likely be in mostly shade. Zone 10a (SF Bay Area, just south of SF).

The plant would be climbing a trellis or wires fixed in a dark wood-sided wall, so something with light or bright flowers for contrast would be a huge plus. A plant that climbs trellises or wires rather than the wall itself would be ideal. This is a rental, and I don't want to damage the wall.

It gets quite windy here in spring and it blows from the west straight into the patio so something that can tolerate getting blown around a bit would be great.

Drought tolerant is a plus. I thoroughly water once a week, but it doesn't get that hot here, and the plants don't get a ton of direct sunlight, so with the exception of the odd "heat-wave" (anything hotter than 80 F), that seems to be enough for the plants that I already have.

Last of all, I'm a burgeoning gardener, so if it's a very needy plant, I may not have the skills yet. But I'm a fast learner! That said, lower-maintenance might be preferred for my first climber.

That's not a lot to ask for, right? :-D

Here is a photo of the wall that needs to be beautified:

It's 2pm here and the sun is just reaching the wall to the right, which faces almost perfectly due west.

Landlord requires that I keep the area under the fire extinguisher open, so no container there. There's currently a plant stand to the right of the table which could potentially be moved for a planter for the climber, but I'd rather not open that can of worms. In an ideal world, the climber would be happy in a planter that would fit on the ground right behind the table and chairs which could come forward a few inches if needed.

In general I like cottage gardens, Spanish gardens (esp Bougainvilleas, roses) and plants that have a romantic, rambling old-world vibe.

So far I have investigated:

clematis - 'Silver Moon' and 'Dawn' are said to be shade-lovers, but maybe not enough for this spot? Also it seems like clematis needs huge containers?

climbing rose - 'Zephirine Drouhin' looks like it enjoys shade, but not containers.

THANK YOU for taking the time to read this and for any suggestions you can give!

Comments (5)