SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis_ma

House Blessing Menu... for a weekend!

artemis_ma
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

This is for a weekend get together in May. I only expect 6 or so of us on Friday evening and Saturday morning. Probably the same for "Lunch" on Saturday, or a couple more.

There will be anywhere from 15 to low 20's for Saturday dinner, and probably about 8-10 for Sunday brunch.

There are a LOT of food restrictions! For our actual ceremony (late Saturday afternoon) we will share non-alcoholic peach cider and (probably) gluten-free oatmeal cookies.

For the rest of the time, we can have foods that some but
not all of us are able to eat, but as long as every single person is able to
eat of something and not feel deprived, and have nutritional balance, we should
do fine. I would prefer all meats to be
pastured / grass fed, depending on species.
Organic is not necessary. However, "faux food" is symbolically right out (rf Michael Pollan).

There is at least one invitee who falls into one of the following
categories Saturday night:

Gluten-free AND rice-free.
Vegetarian.
No red meat but poultry or seafood is fine.
No seafood AND no beans.
No alcohol.
Lower carb (diabetic).
Lactose intolerant (Crohns)
Close to obligate carnivore (a couple of those, grin!)
No tree nuts (that would be ME).
(I also
despise, but am not allergic to, 90% of the dried fruits out there. I also dislike chicken breast – it is mostly
suitable for cat food! I also loathe
anything sicky-sweet. Sugar is HIGHLY
overrated as a seasoning! And my low
carb friends would agree! I also need to
limit things in the nightshade family but hey, it’s my house blessing, I’ll EAT
a few nightshades and deal with the joint swelling issues later!!!)

As far as Friday night/Saturday morning... a lot more leeway though the lactose intolerant individual will be there (as well as my tree-nut sensitivity self). We may very well have one of the No Red Meat people there, and at least one low-carb person (that's actually the same person...)

So, anyhow, this is how I am planning out the weekend menu (I will supply all food although invitees may bring beverages at their whim). Where you see Bold + Italic is where I have more prominent question marks! (Simply BOLD is for highlighting sections.)

Friday Night Dinner: (apps will be veggies and dips)

Surf & Turf theme:
* Arctic Char or Salmon, baked with lemon, dill, ground pepper.
* Country Style pork ribs, braised, OR Beef Stew with various veggies.
* Zoodles (zucchini and yellow squash made into noodles and pan-fried, with onions and Mediterranean seasonings.) Should there be additional veggies or a salad?
* Basmati rice cooked in chicken broth in the rice cooker.
* Dessert: ice cream from a local dairy.

Saturday Breakfast:

* Omelettes to order. (Cheese, fresh spinach, pastured bacon.... other things I may have lying around...)
* Toast from bread from a local bakery.
* Fresh fruit.

Saturday "Lunch":

* Applegate
meats and cheeses, local breads, lettuce for lettuce wraps, mustard, mayo, and
related stuff. This is NOT a formal meal…
basically, as anyone gets hungry, they can gnosh! Those of us here will be busy, so I figure I'll lay out a spread so people can create their own sandwiches or wraps.

Saturday Dinner:

APPS: dips and a veggie platter. At least three types of dips, and I can get a great tahini dip from a local restaurant.
Smoked salmon: rolled up with and without goat cheese, capers, dill, finely diced red onion and lemon. Option for Triscuits or endive boats.

MAIN:

* Veggie stir fry. with a Chinese influence and seasonings. Mushrooms, onions, garlic, Chinese broccoli and
chives, snow peas, bok choy, etc.
Cilantro garnish.

* Smoked ham –locally sourced/pastured, and it is
already in my freezer: a variety of
mustards & horseradish sauces to go with.
Adapting this: https://growingupgabel.com/slow-cooker-pineapple-ham/
- it will be adapted to use a balsamic pineapple vinegar, and pineapple juice,
NO wads of brown sugar as per that recipe. An arrowroot
slurry will be used to thicken sauce, and I will remove it from the slow cooker
to roast on high in oven so it crisps up.

* Quinoa in veggie broth cooked in rice maker.

* Greek salad with goat cheese and pine nuts both on the side.

* Home made salad dressings.

* Dessert: one or two that can be made in advance, neither sicky sweet. At least one needs to be gluten/rice free, and it would be really nice not to see tree nuts in either. (No one ever seems to want to take leftover desserts home with them!!!)

Sunday Brunch:

* Uttapam pancakes - they're savory but I will provide real maple syrup for those who really want that - https://goatsandgreens.wordpress.com/2016/03/06/indian-uttapam-pancakes/
* Scrambled eggs.
* Fresh fruit.
* Home made pork breakfast sausage and D'Artangan duck bacon.
* Toast.

Thoughts anyone???

Comments (29)

• artemis_ma
    Original Author
    7 years ago

PS: I think the breakfasts and the lunch are pretty well set. It's the dinners to look at. And it occurs to me that ice cream cannot be the dessert choice for Friday night, as the lactose-intolerant guy will be there at that meal. (He can have a very small amount of dairy, and butter is fine for him.)

• Olychick
    7 years ago

Re: ice cream - I am really crazy about Coconut Bliss ice cream (I've been buying instead of dairy). The vanilla has a slight, very slight coconut taste, but otherwise, it's indistinguishable from ice cream. I haven't tried their other flavors. So if you want to go with an ice cream type dessert, it's a great option.

Friday night dinner...if there will be any vegetarians, then, yes, I think you need something to add to the veggie noodles to make it more substantial, maybe a pesto sauce or roasted veggies or? and I would also add a salad, maybe with a protein on the side to add if wanted (like feta or garbanzos). Maybe cook the rice in vegetable broth so the vegetarians can eat that, too. Also good for them for leftovers for some of the other meals.

I'd try to find some good gluten free bread/toast/muffin options for the GF folks.

artemis_ma thanked Olychick
  • Related Discussions

Happy Thanksgiving Menus

Q

Comments (22)
    We ate our Thanksgiving feast at lunch time, so my brother could make the 4 hr drive back home before dark. I didn't think I could eat so much so early in the day, but I did! Spent all morning cooking, but the kiddoes cleaned up afterwards. As a committed foodie, I just couldn't face a store-bought pumpkin pie (the rest of the gang had no such problems) so I made myself a tray of sugar free brownies. And there are still a few left.... Thanks to all for your kind thoughts when I'm feeling so punk this year leading up to the holidays. At least we have a fridge full of quality leftovers now, as I don't think I'll feel as good next week as I do today (my doc is changing my meds this week). Oh well, when a foodie is sick, she stops doing housework, laundry, shopping, entertaining, etc. but she DOESN'T stop cooking, even if she can only cook for herself. The mere thought of consuming fast- or pre-processed food makes me feel so much worse than than standing up to throw together soup or an omelette. I have much to be thankful for this year!
    ...See More

Week 27.5 What are your blessings?

Q

Comments (24)
    TG, that is definately a pic of beauty. I pulled the bird out the fridge at 7:30 to take it's chill off..threw the "icky" bits in water and they are still simmering away..how does just water and turkey bits smell so good? Lol.. I also put hubbies Maple Bourbon Sweet Potato Pie in the oven. I think that with the simmering bits made T-Day come alive so early. :) The turkey is now in the oven on 450 for a few more minutes and the aromatics plus herbs are making my mouth water. I'll drop it down and let it go for 3.5 more hours....it really is torture. :) The sun is peeking through the clouds giving off that golden haze. What a beautiful day it is. Oh and Shick..Kids = expensive...stick with critters, cars and house remodeling. ;) you may financial come out ahead. However, I wouldn't trade them in..even though I threaten now and then. I would give up a few of the battle scars/heart break of parenting though.
    ...See More

Best towns for weekend home in NY tri-state???

Q

Comments (23)
    Deee, We're in ARLINGTON. The real estate in Manchester is a little too rich for us. I happen to like winter. The problem with so many people is they hide from it, but people up here PLAY in it. There are snowmobile tours that can take you from Mass to Canada with stays in B&Bs and nice restaurants. And there's NOTHING like October in Vermont!!! And give me a BLIZZARD over a HURRICANE any day! I hate the summer heat though. That's why I like it up here. The average summer high is only 80 degrees. And another thing about here that even when tourists come up, the traffic is still less than 10% of the "normal" traffic in the NYC area. "Rush hour" for us is waiting for 5 cars to pass by before you can pull put onto the highway.
    ...See More

Food floof! The menu

Q

Comments (46)
    We're going to my DH's ex's and her husband's house for dinner, per usual (20 years). There will be about 20 - 26 of us - all his side (mine live on the other end of the country except DS in GA). They serve a really nice turkey, but also dump -from-a-bag stuffing mix, plopped canned cranberry sauce, and their adult children will bring instant mashed potatoes, canned gravy, bag salad, "brown 'n serve" rolls and some icky baked-in-store cake with inedible frosting. The youngest grand (17) will make green bean casserole for her grandpa (because I refuse to make it, hate it) as she has been doing for 5 years! Bless her. But I do think it is the only thing she actually cooks. Her mom is big on take-out, drive-thru, and pizza delivery. The other four 20 yr-old-ish grandchildren (who I've been coaching) are bringing homemade bread, apple sauce from 4 kinds of apples, baked butternut squash with honey and sweet spices, mixed lettuces and strawberries with celery seed dressing, and from-scratch brownies. So proud of them. I like to shake things up for appetizers so I'll bring oven baked veggie egg rolls with my own Chinese-style hot mustard and apricot duck sauce, deviled egg salad in quartered potato buns, stuffed mini sweet peppers (with herbed cheese), homemade crackers with pepperoncini cream cheese dip, and everything (like on a bagel) dip to eat with mini cukes, radishes, cherry tomatoes and celery sticks, and some deli ham rolled up with Swiss cheese and a bit of spicy brown mustard for those of us who don't like turkey, plus apple slab pie with drizzle and pecan pie bars on shortbread crust. I always bring plastic bags for the family to take home "leftovers" since no one seems to remember from the last time, or they just expect me to? I also bring our own silverware because ex- hasn't figured out that it is impossible to cut turkey with plastic knives and eat with plastic forks. I also bring a couple of extra knives for whomever else has a problem. You'd think after 20 years she'd go to Goodwill and pick up some 25c silverware - maybe $15 worth. I don't say anything but DH always rolls his eyes at me. If I went to Goodwill and got some I would be ostracized for life. Bad enough that I bring a few extra pieces. I'm rolling my eyes now. I may hint to the grands that it might be a really really nice gift for their other grandma. But then again....
    ...See More
  • plllog
    7 years ago

The array is dizzying, but I think you have the meat, fish, dairy, carb and gluten yes/noes covered. It's a little light for the vegetarians.

Easiest answer first (though a little more shopping)--can't you do the ice cream dessert, but also have at least one that's an ice style sorbet (i.e., never was supposed to have dairy in it). Since he's able to tolerate a very little amount of dairy, a little cross contamination wouldn't be tragic if the scooper was only rinsed rather than thoroughly washed between, right?

My vegan bean and lentil loaf can be made with oats or something instead of crumbs or rice. It's a long recipe and a pain to make, but tasty. Let me know if you want it, and I can e-mail it to you. (A less organized version is in an old thread as well.) It holds well in the fridge, up to a week, but doesn't freeze as well. Can be used in sandwiches, especially if the slice is pan toasted to make it firmer.

Friday dinner, I think either a salad, or make stew veg along side the beef stew to have a vegan version for the veg. But that's because we always have at least two vegetables. For some crowds, one is enough.

I'm with you on fake food, but okay on "normal" vegan foods. You could make aquafaba (chickpea water) omelletes. There are also tofu omelette recipes out there.

Saturday dinner: Your vegetarian guests might be fine with just quinoa for a main. It's a healthy little seed. I'd do seitan and soy with the Chinese menu. Not fake meat, but real seitan.

So, on the dessert front, it's hard to call it dessert if it isn't sweet. Too involved to bother making when you're having so much company, but not icky, though sweet, is Swiss torte (puff pastry topped with pastry cream fruit and gel), though that doesn't work for the no carbs, no gluten, no dairy. ETA--I meant worth buying it.

A lot of vegan, gluten free cookies are sad, but you can put some through the FP, and make parfaits for every with berries, and whipped cream optional.

You already have lots of eggs, but you could do easy on the sugar meringues (cookies) for everybody. Or a flourless chocolate cake if you're willing to go sweeter.

You can also cut some of the sugar in most cakes and they'll still be
    fine. There's still plenty of sugar, but doesn't taste so sweet.
    Though that won't do for the low carb and gluten free, and the almond
    flour versions won't work for you.

We always have a mixed bowl of cut fresh fruit, sometimes as the only dessert, but that's still pretty darned sweet.

You could get a variety of fancy bakery cookies, some regular, some low carb (though those would probably have nuts, and some gluten free, put them in pretty jars, and just let people grab whichever they want, if they want a sweet.

artemis_ma thanked plllog
  • artemis_ma
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Olychick: At the moment, I'm not expecting any of the vegetarians to be there Friday night. (They all live closer so I expect them there Saturday...) I'll note to modify if this changes.

Pillog... I have a lot to assimilate before I respond, thanks! (Everyone can eat eggs, that is not an issue!)

• Olychick
    7 years ago

I just wanted to add that if you have a Trader Joe's near by, they have 2 good GF cookie choices....the GF choc chip and a Ginger Chunk.

artemis_ma thanked Olychick
  • artemis_ma
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Pillog, adding tofu and perhaps tempeh to the stir fry is an excellent idea! Have to source out the foods properly, of course.

No seitan, I do consider that faux food. Big wads of gluten, sorry, no. And any vegetarian/no-red-meat person who is also gluten free would be unhappy, anyhow. My lactose intolerant guest is an omnivore, and would appreciate meat (or fish).

Desserts obviously require more thought. You are talking to someone who eats dessert herself maybe 15 times a year... Help!

• annie1992
    7 years ago

OK, gluten free desserts. My daughter is celiac, so I'm getting better at it, and I've found that I've "accidentally" or maybe incidentally, been making gluten free peanut butter cookies my whole life. Those five ingredients ones with just peanut butter, egg, sugar, vanilla, baking powder, that recipe is very common. We also like the flourless chocolate cake that's a common item at Jewish holidays, and that would be nice served with some of the Coconut Bliss ice cream that Olychick mentioned. My daughter also likes that, so I keep it on hand.

Our favorite, though, are these lemon bars, they're better than my original recipe and gluten free. It does have butter in the crust. I've made them successfully using King Arthur Flour's gluten free blend, they're just as good as they are with the mix of flours, so you wouldn't have to buy a bunch of different flours. I got it from a blog, and the author said it was adapted from an Ina Garten recipe.

Gluten Free Lemon Bars (the Way Lemon Bars Should Be)

Serves: 12-16

Ingredients

For the crust:

• 3/4 cup (180 ml) unsalted butter, at room temperature
    • 2 cups gluten free flour blend
    • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
    • pinch salt

For the Filling:

• 7 large eggs, at room temperature
    • 2 cups (400 g) granulated sugar
    • 2 tablespoons (30 ml) grated lemon zest (from about 4 lemons)
    • 1 cup (250 ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice (I needed 5 lemons to get 1 cup)
    • 1 cup gluten free flour blend
    • Icing or Confectioners' Sugar for dusting
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C).
    2. Line a9x13-inch (33x23 cm) baking pan with parchment paper, so the paper rises up the sides - I had it run up the 13" sides, and left the 9" sides bare. (This will make removing the squares much easier, as you can lift them out once they are cooled.)
    3. For the crust, in the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Combine the flours & salt, and slowly add to the butter/sugar mixture while the mixer is on low. Mix just until it is combined. Dump the dough into your prepared pan, place a sheet of plastic wrap over the top, and press the dough evenly over the bottom of the pan, building up a 1/2-inch (1 cm) edge on all sides.
    4. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until very lightly browned. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before adding the filling. Do not turn the oven off yet, you still need it.
    5. While the crust is baking, you can prepare the filling. For the filling, whisk together the eggs, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, rice flour and tapioca starch. Pour the filling into a large spoon that you are holding about 1-inch (2.5 cm) above the pre-baked crust. This will stop the crust from eroding away where you are pouring it. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the filling is set. It is alright if it still has some wiggle when you remove it from the oven, it will set more as it cools. Let cool to room temperature.
    6. To remove from pan, cut along 9" edges, and use the parchment paper to lift the bars out and onto a cutting board. Using a sifter or wire sieve, dust the top of the bars with icing/confectioners' sugar. Cut into squares, and serve. If you don't plan to serve them immediately, wait to sprinkle them with the confectioners' sugar, since it will melt over time.

Or you could go with my granddaughter's favorite:

Nutella Mousse

8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature

¾ cup Nutella

1 cup confectioners’ sugar

1 cup heavy cream

3 tablespoons sugar

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

TOPPINGS

Whipped cream, as needed for finishing (optional)

2 tablespoons chopped toasted hazelnuts

2 tablespoons chopped dark chocolate

1. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the cream cheese with the Nutella and confectioners’ sugar until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl; wipe out the mixer bowl.

2. In the bowl of the electric mixer, this time fitted with the whip attachment, whip the cream to soft peaks. Add the sugar and vanilla extract, and whip to medium peaks.

Add a third of the whipped cream to the Nutella mixture and fold with a rubber spatula to combine. Add another third of the whipped cream and repeat, folding until incorporated. Add the final third and fold to combine.

4. Divide the mousse among 4 to 6 serving dishes and chill for 30 to 45 minutes (or up to overnight, covered).

5. To serve, top each mousse with a dollop of whipped cream, if using, and then garnish with 1 to 2 teaspoons hazelnuts and chocolate.

Oh, and be sure to have fun!

Annie

artemis_ma thanked annie1992
  • Olychick
    7 years ago

Annie, have you made the lemon bars with vegan margarine instead of butter? Do you think it would work?

• artemis_ma
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Annie, this recipe sounds great. Oly, no TJ's near the future home but I plan to be down here in CT a few days before the event, and can definitely check out what they might have!

• plllog
    7 years ago

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just informative, but seitan isn't any faker than tofu. It has made continuously for many centuries. I've read that the premachine method was to knead and rinse the wheat to remove the starch, then boil it, sometimes with soy sauce. That's it. Not for your gluten free folks, but it's very high in protein, and combined with soy sauce is supposed to give you a full range of amino acids. Even without, it has nine of them.

Olychick, I haven't tried it with Annie's recipe, but for cookies and cakes I've never had any issues using any baking margarine, including vegan. The important parts are that it be sticks and there be 100 Calories per TBSP. If there are fewer they're substituting liquid fat for solid and that produces fails. As I'm sure you know, margarine melts differently than butter, so there are minor texture differences, but you should get an overall good bake. I use Earth Balance Soy Free Buttery Sticks. The soy free is mostly for a family member who can't have soy, but I also just like it better than the regular, though I can't put my finger on why.

• Olychick
    7 years ago

thx plllog

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    7 years ago

For a make ahead dessert, panna cotta might be a nice option. If it does not need to be milk free, then buttermilk panna cotta with a berry sauce would be my first choice (or with just fresh berries). If doing without dairy, then coconut milk panna cotta is also very, very good.

artemis_ma thanked tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
  • annie1992
    7 years ago

olychick, I think the vegan margarine would work, the reason for the butter is to hold the sugar and flour together, and since they are not individually baked cookies, the crust would most likely hold together, especially if you let them sit overnight and allow the filling to "soak in" a little more.

I've never tried it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. The flavor wouldn't be the same, of course, but the main flavor in these is lemon, so that's not a deal breaker either.

Good luck, I'll be interested to know how it works if you do try it.

Annie

• artemis_ma
    Original Author
    7 years ago

West, good point about make ahead. There will be one fridge. I also have a large cooler. I'm thinking about other veggie ideas than the stir fry, high in veggies rather than starch. Ideas? Tofu would be fine with it. Tempeh I know is a acquired taste, even for vegetarians, so I won't chance that one. Whether or not seitan is real, it does come off rather "rubbery" so I'd rather not. (I also pride myself on being a low-gluten cook, upon reading about some of the more pernicious possible effects gluten might have.)

• artemis_ma
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I decided to break this up a bit. Friday evening and Saturday morning will be the same people. And you guys were right... trying to do a stir fry for a lot of people, with a LOT of things going on... working on Epic Fail. So the stir fry got moved to Friday with a lot less people and far less going on!

So anyhow, this is the Friday night/Saturday breakfast menu. It is less restrictive than the Saturday night menu, but I am still looking for a starch for someone gluten-free who doesn't do rice. Figure 6-8 of us for both these meals.

Friday evening: (6-8 people)
    Apps: Tahini dip (Oliva Restaurant), Applegate/other
    chartucerie selection (olives, cheese, meats, marinated mushrooms), hummus dip,
    baba ghanoush dip (Kibberia). Platter of
    veggies. A bread (likely gluten) based
    toast also for dipping.
    Dinner: Surf n Turf:

Baked Arctic Char or
    Salmon (lemon, dill, ground pepper. Seafood works great kept simple!)
    Turf – Braised Country
    style pork ribs? (home made basting
    sauce, ingredients TBA, but no added sweeteners or gluten).
    Veggie - Asian stir fry. (Trip to H-Mart indicated! Added tofu is possible if we do have
    vegetarians at this meal, large chunks, marinated in seasonings. I am not expecting to, but keeping options
    open. All invitees are invited for ALL
    the meals but I know a few cannot attend some.)
    Tamari, and other appropriate condiments (I do have these!)
    Starch - ?? I am looking for gluten and rice free.
    Dessert – Ice cream
    and sherbet. (Arathusa for the ice
    cream, unknown for the sherbet)

Saturday
    breakfast: (same 6-8 people)
    Omelets to order.
    (As far as I can know to this date, everyone the entire weekend can eat
    eggs. Everyone can also eat gluten-free
    soy, though I know at least one person will balk at tofu in any form. Just her
    personal thing.) Selection of veggies,
    cheeses.
    Toast, bread from
    Bantam Bread Company. Butter, and some home-made
    jams I’ve been given over the past two or three years. I will go to the Gluten-Free Oasis to see
    what breads they have, as well.
    Strawberries, bananas, possibly a few
    other fruits. Grapefruit? Tangerines?
    ETC?
    Home made pork
    breakfast sausage I can make in advance, skillet cook the morning of.

• plllog
    7 years ago

I get preferring tofu. :) I happen to like seitan, and the high protein content makes me feel good (physically), but it's not for everybody. A lot of people who think they have a gluten problem really have a FODMAP problem, but that's beside the point.

If you have sufficiently big woks/pots, stir fried vegetables for a crowd really isn't that hard. You're fewer than 20, right? You can do your mise en place way ahead of time, get the rest of your meal organized and on its way to being served, then make 2-3 pots of veg at the same time, stir fried in a couple of minutes. If you want to be out of the kitchen entirely, however, you could make veggie kugel with GF breadcrumbs instead of matzah. Or toast a layer of veggies in the bottom of a baking dish and make carrot souffle on top of it. Any kind of casserole can be made ahead and just reheated.

• artemis_ma
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm not familiar with veggie kugel (time to Google this!), although considering my proximity to NYC I should be. (I can only think of two Jewish friends who don't eat pork, and since their faith path differs sufficiently, they won't be at this specific gathering.) I'll go check this out, and I'll also think about various veggie casseroles, thank you!

The first night approximately 6 people, possibly 8, with a stir fry would work nice. The following night, since there will be 20 or a few less, and since I'd like things to happen not that terribly long after the blessing ceremony, I'd be better off with that casserole, or that veggie kugel you mention. Again, thanks!

• plllog
    7 years ago

Kugel x 3

• 12 large eggs (may need fewer--use your judgment)

• 9 Tbsp. oil

• 3 c. chopped onion

• 1.5 c. chopped carrots

• 1.5 c. chopped red pepper

• 3 c. chopped yellow
      squash

• 1.5 c. chopped parsley

• 6 matzot (soaked in
      water) (substitute dried GF breadcrumbs-6 slices dampened, not soaked)

• 3/4 c. chopped fresh
      basil

• 3 pkg. frozen spinach (or dry wilt fresh equivalent)

• 6 cloves garlic pressed

• 1.5 tsp pepper

• 1.5 tsp salt

Press water out of matzah. Defrost and drain--press water out--spinach.

Sauté onions in oil ten minutes until soft and beginning to
    color.

Add all veggies except spinach. Sauté for five minutes.

Combine spinach, matzah, cooked veg, eggs, and seasoning in
    a large bowl. The heat of the vegetables
    may make the wet ingredients weep. If
    this happens, squeeze out excess water.

Pour into 3 9x9 greased baking dishes or equivalent (I use one 17" and one 9")

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

If you're rewarming, cut into squares first. Rewarm for a similar time and temperature as
    the initial bake.

I
    slice thin rings of baby bell peppers and press them into
    the raw kugel in the pan to mark off the portions. This makes them pretty and gives a guide for
    cutting.

You can make it a day or two ahead, wrap well and refrigerate.

Recipe from a friend, DK.

• annie1992
    7 years ago

artemis, if it helps at all, my family eats the gluten free pasta available right in the pasta aisle, like bertolli and such, and can't even tell the difference once it's sauced, so that might help with your "starch" issue. There's also quinoa, polenta and potatoes, either sweet or white.

Annie

• artemis_ma
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Pillog, that kugel sounds great! I will be saving this for another occasion...

Anyhow, I'm still working up the food for the upcoming weekend, which is THIS coming weekend.

Below, the food for Friday night, Saturday morning and lunch, and Sunday morning is set. In the following post I'll put what I have for apps and dinner but I still need help for dessert, and to decide between a couple vegetarian options:

FRIDAY PM (One lactose-free, one no-cooked seafood person,
    but fish sauce okay if it doesn’t overtly announce itself in the food… He LOVES raw fish, but won’t be doing that!) --
    5-6 people, the sixth if she makes it
    that night would be gluten-free. I am
    tree-nut free, excepting coconut. (I
    MISS pistachios and pine nuts… the rest I never cared about!)

Appetizers: Veggie
    platter with choice of dips (chive cheese spread – from a local dairy; hummus,
    baba ganoush – from an excellent Lebanese grocery). Pick up items Thursday afternoon.
    Quality gluten-free chips (TJ’s) with
    peach salsa.

Dinner: Hot and Sour
    Soup: Adapted from Russ Crandall’s “Paleo
    Takeout: Restaurant Favorites without
    the Junk.” Will use homemade poultry
    soup base (made a couple months ago), gluten free. Recipe uses arrowroot to thicken. However will add some tofu cubes, not Paleo. To make early Friday, add egg just prior to
    serving.

Veggie &
    beef stir fry. Visit local Asian market Thursday
    for Asian-specific veggies (CHINESE broccoli instead of western…. Etc.)

California
    sushi rice, in rice cooker.

Dessert: Keeping simple. Thinking fresh strawberries with option of
    cream, coconut cream or a dash of sugar on top – or, nothing on top! Some dark chocolate nibbles for those who do
    have sweet tooths – nothing fancy.
    (Maybe chocolate dustings available for those berries!)

SATURDAY BREAKFAST – same crowd as previous night:

Omelets to
    order – plain, cheese, veggie. (A local
    guy sells eggs 2.50 per dozen, can’t beat that!)
    Home made pork sausages patties
    (local ground pork; I’ll form the patties Friday, cook in the morning).
    Available if wanted: Rolled oats for oatmeal; cold Kashi brand
    cinnamon oat cereal. Grapes and other
    fresh fruit.

SATURDAY LUNCH – make your own sandwiches/lettuce
    wraps. A variety of cold cuts, lettuce
    suitable for making wraps, condiments (mustard, mayo that sort of thing),
    peanut butter. I’ll make a vegan potato
    salad Friday (roasted mixed potato, red onion, cabbage, apple, seasonings, no
    mayo). Bread from local bakery on way to
    house.

Other people will trickle in during the afternoon. And will include at least one vegetarian –
    who does eat dairy and limited eggs. A
    no-legume, absolutely no seafood serious allergy person. No vegans.
    One no rice.

HOUSE BLESSING: White
    wine or peach juice, GF oatmeal cookies made with banana.
    (make Friday)

SATURDAY DINNER - see next post!

SUNDAY BREAKFAST:

Uttapam pancakes (these are savory vegan with lentils and
    rice, seasoned with onion, tomato, and curry leaves – pick up curry leaves
    Thursday pm!!! Will supply optional
    butter/ghee; or real maple syrup, for those who must have sweet…) Soak Friday, grind Saturday and make
    batter.

Scrambled eggs, not to order.

Available if wanted:
    Rolled oats for oatmeal; cold Kashi brand cinnamon oat cereal. Grapes and other fresh fruit.

Supplying: coffee,
    tea, sugar & Splenda for coffee/tea, whole milk, coconut milk, (if I find
    it) Lactaid milk – my friend can use this in his coffee. SodaStream for seltzer. Wine, champagne, rum. A couple of juices as mixers or whatever.

• artemis_ma
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

SATURDAY DINNER

Appetizers as above, see Friday. Also, vegetarian stuffed grape leaves (dolmas),
    adapted from Dalia Klein, Silk Road Vegetarian. It includes beets and celery, and I will add
    in red cabbage. Ground lamb stuffed
    grape leaves, adapted from https://www.thespruce.com/stuffed-grape-leaves-1705227. Dolmas to be made Thursday. They will have rice but there will be a lot of app choices. Also, smoked salmon rolled up with capers and
    dill, some with cheese. Olive plate.

Tossed salad, homemade vinaigrette. (EVOO, red wine vinegar, mustard, thyme,
    other seasonings…) I also picked up a
    sesame based dressing from the health food store.

Smoked Ham / Pineapple recipe, adapted for less added sugar.
    Cook in Crockpot, can just let it do it's thing during the afternoon.

Vegetarian: Choosing
    from Silk Road Vegetarian cookbook. I am
    ruling out individual-serving types of things.
    Also want something that can be made up early in the day (or Friday) and
    heated for dinner, stove top or in oven.

Choices at this
    point:

Persian
    eggplant stew
    Chickpea dal in coconut broth
    Afghan Cauliflower curry

Steamed asparagus, with butter and with optional parm cheese
    at the table.

Quinoa cooked in rice maker with veggie broth and
    seasonings.

Dessert: Still no
    clue. Something that can be made in advance is best

• annie1992
    6 years ago

Yum, it sounds good to me! I like eggplant, so I'd like the Persian stew. I also like chickpeas, so I'd probably like that one too. Do not like cauliflower, although it seems that everyone else in the world does, so that means nothing.

OK, dessert. Not too sweet, made in advance, keeps well. Jo's Summer Torte? I made it with sweet cherries, but others here made it with peaches, plums, etc., and all of them turned out well. You could even do a couple, with different fruits, or a mixed berry type.

Jo's Summer Torte

1 stick butter, softened (I always use unsalted)
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 cup flour, sifted
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    2 eggs
    pinch of salt
    cinnamon sugar for top
    fruit of choice; sliced into wedges (I used about 7 plums. Peaches, nectarines, strawberries all work great and in combination)

Preheat oven to 350. Cream butter and add sugar. Beat well. Add eggs and beat. Mix together flour, baking powder and salt. Add to batter. Mix. Spoon globs to greased 9 or 10 inch spring form. Use a knife to spread batter to cover entire pan. Arrange fruit on top. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar (amount depends on the sweetness of the fruit).
    Bake for 45 min.

Annie

• plllog
    6 years ago

I can't focus on your variables and menu, but it all sounds good.

Re the first dessert: I think good strawberries and chocolate are plenty. The creams and sugars on the side (don't forget brown sugar!) is a good idea if you want to make it fun, but not necessary. I would do the sprinkling chocolate on the side, too, as some people might not like it on their berries. If you think you need something more, you could add boxed lemon wafers (or make your own ahead and freeze).

Maybe add some hard boiled eggs to the Saturday lunch sandwich fixings for the lacto-ovo and the allergic one. Eggs are "packaged" until you peel them, so hard to contaminate.

**see below

Persian eggplant stew is usually made with meat. I looked at the Silk Road recipe on a blog, and it looks fine, but there's no protein. I have a similar Lebanese recipe that calls for chickpeas as well (and has pomegranate molasses as well, which makes it divine). It's really good (if you like Middle Eastern food). Let me know if you want the recipe.

The chickpea recipe looks good if your vegetarian guests are happy sitting down to a dish of mostly just beans. For some, it could be challenging. For others, a thoughtful inclusion that serves as a side dish for others.

I couldn't find the curry, but that general kind of thing is my favorite way to eat cauliflower. It should have some kind of protein in it. The kind I know best uses a lot of dairy milk. That would do it. :)

**Oh, dear! Never mind! I hadn't read as far as the quinoa! That has as much protein as high protein beans, and about double what chickpeas have. In that case, I'd skip the dal and do the eggplant or curry. It's hard to say without seeing the recipe, but I'd think the curry would go better with the ham, assuming the non-veg will try some, than the eggplant would.

I think that meal wants something bitter, so why not the dessert? Dark chocolate cake and/or dark chocolate ice cream, or flourless chocolate cake. Or grapefruit and green tea ices.

• artemis_ma
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks... yes, will have folks do their strawberries up as they choose. I do have brown sugar.

Sat - will look into cloudless choc cake! Green tea ices sound fine too.

Looks like I'll go with the cauliflower - just found out someone is allergic to eggplant! But not to other nightshades.

• eandhl2
    6 years ago

Since you are having toast I just want to mention be careful for no cross contamination.

artemis_ma thanked eandhl2
  • artemis_ma
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks. Fortunately she's not that reactive. She can handle, say, soy sauce with gluten in moderation - although I have the gluten free stuff anyway.

• plllog
    6 years ago

It sounds like you have everything handled. Make sure to put some crash time in your schedule. You never know when there's going to be a traffic snarl or an unexpected phone call from overseas that you just do not want to postpone.

Planning a menu for a bunch of different needs, while also suiting your own style and taste, is no easy feat. You're doing an admirable job.

• artemis_ma
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, everyone! The weekend was a success, even though I forgot to put out the grapes, and forgot to buy the asparagus (a rural enough location that running to the local Mom and Pop wasn't likely to get me any).

Friday dinner, three of us, the other two ran late and picked up food on the way. Soup and beef stir fry, very good. Chips and dips. I made some of the food for Saturday and for the Sunday uttapam pancakes on Friday.

Saturday breakfast for the five of us: to-order omelets, home made pork sausage patties. Lunch was do-yourself cold cut sandwiches and lettuce wraps. The potato salad (made with roasted seasoned potatoes, apples, dill, red onion and celery) ended up with dinner. Also the Afghan cauli curry, a huge salad with greens, cukes, Thai basil, celery, a few other leafy greens not cooked in the previous night's stir fry. And the smoked ham, slow cooked. With the pineapple served on the side, as two people noticed the pineapple sitting in the fridge, turning up their noses at it! (I'm glad I gave house tours, and that they looked in!)

Dessert, a flourless chocolate cake, made Thursday.

I cooked the blessing cookies (oatmeal / banana / applesauce, with choc. chips) Friday night, and the three of us present then of course had to taste test as they came warm out of the oven!

Sunday, uttapam pancakes and scrambled eggs, done in three batches. People woke at different times, and left at different times in the morning.

People were helpful, especially when my bad ankle kicked in towards Saturday dinner time. It swells and hurts if I am on it too long. At any rate, the weekend was successful, although I was too tired to cook or even re-heat anything later Sunday, and stopped off somewhere for very early dinner.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County