SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cynic_gw

Sometimes I can only shake my head and wonder how they got that way

cynic
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Somehow I think this post will get redirected in the wrong direction but I'll risk it and deal with it at that time.I like to be entertained. No denial. I find myself entertained in a lot of ways. I like a very few relatively new shows on TV but am flabbergasted that people are so desperate to just sit in front of a TV that they watch Orca Windbag, The Dungers, Chlamydia Kardashian, Baby Booboo (aka "The buffet is a challenge") and the plethora of informercials and drug commercials telling us not to take it if we're allergic to it? When people have to be warned not to continue taking something if by taking it we're unable to breathe then there's something more wrong than trans-fats in food.

OK, I like to be entertained. No denial. I find myself entertained in a lot of ways. I like a very few relatively new shows on TV but am flabbergasted that people are so desperate to just sit in front of a TV that they watch Orca Windbag, The Dungers, Chlamydia Kardashian, Baby Booboo (aka "The buffet is a challenge") and the plethora of informercials and drug commercials telling us not to take it if we're allergic to it? When people have to be warned not to continue taking something if by taking it we're unable to breathe then there's something more wrong than trans-fats in food.

But, that's not the point of this thread. Since I occasionally want to see something different I do enjoy some of the Youtube creations. I like everyday people sharing info and not feeling the need to use the new cliché "hacks".

Was watching a number of the EDC (EveryDay/Every Day Carry) videos. Basically what you keep with you on a daily basis. Some seemed pretty basic: wallet, keys, phone, maybe a pocket knife, pen, notepad, some change, etc. But many seem to show the paranoia out there and worse yet, the gullibility of so many people.

I fully understand carrying a couple of adhesive bandages (whether they're the "big name" brand or generic), perhaps an alcohol wipe and even some basic first aid kit items. I understand carrying something to drink and a snack or something if you can't go without eating for a couple hours and don't want to spend $3 for a soft drink. I understand the use of basic "tools" you use every day - specifics are unique to the person and that only makes sense, but I'm still amazed at the number of people who feel the need, no paranoia to necessitate such things as:

-Wire to make a snare to catch a squirrel or something to eat.
-A fish hook and thread to catch a fish (or sew back an amputated limb.
-A tourniquet. They're needed every day apparently.

-A stainless steel container so you can boil water if you're caught away from home for days and can't get potable water.

-Radiation tablets ("in case we get nuked")
-Water filtration straws/containers and water purification tablets.
-6 ways to start a fire and of course tinder.

Couple these with the "prepper" vids. One family with about 6 cases of commercial rolls of toilet paper stashed in the roof of their garage for SHTF situations. Stockpiling cases of tuna and I could go on, but sheesh, this isn't having a well-stocked pantry, which I believe in heartily, but this is beyond rational thinking IMO.

I understand and believe in "being prepared". I have flashlights, candles and the like for when the power goes out. I have basic alternate heating for when (as it did this year) the furnace went out. First Aid supplies for needs, etc. People suggested I was pretty paranoid for carrying hand sanitizer. But I don't carry everything on me every single day no matter where I go. I am finding out how gullible, paranoid and ignorant people have become. It was shockingly reinforced not long ago and I just shake my head. But when I look at the things people watch on TV I shouldn't be surprised that they feel they need to carry a portable tent with them on their way to/from work.

I don't get it. But as the occasional optimist be I, at least there will hopefully be someone nearby who can field dress and cook a moose when I'm stuck downtown after the zombies attack.

You'll have to excuse me. I'm going to go set up my stand to sell tin foil hats to raise money to buy fish hooks and radiation pills. Oh and toilet paper. LOTS of toilet paper!

I think the proposed wall should be to stop the nutcases. Probably more effective. And those people have money to pay for it too!

I so mourn the death of common sense.

Comments (42)