SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
cynic_gw

Sometimes I can only shake my head and wonder how they got that way

cynic
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Somehow I think this post will get redirected in the wrong direction but I'll risk it and deal with it at that time.I like to be entertained. No denial. I find myself entertained in a lot of ways. I like a very few relatively new shows on TV but am flabbergasted that people are so desperate to just sit in front of a TV that they watch Orca Windbag, The Dungers, Chlamydia Kardashian, Baby Booboo (aka "The buffet is a challenge") and the plethora of informercials and drug commercials telling us not to take it if we're allergic to it? When people have to be warned not to continue taking something if by taking it we're unable to breathe then there's something more wrong than trans-fats in food.

OK, I like to be entertained. No denial. I find myself entertained in a lot of ways. I like a very few relatively new shows on TV but am flabbergasted that people are so desperate to just sit in front of a TV that they watch Orca Windbag, The Dungers, Chlamydia Kardashian, Baby Booboo (aka "The buffet is a challenge") and the plethora of informercials and drug commercials telling us not to take it if we're allergic to it? When people have to be warned not to continue taking something if by taking it we're unable to breathe then there's something more wrong than trans-fats in food.

But, that's not the point of this thread. Since I occasionally want to see something different I do enjoy some of the Youtube creations. I like everyday people sharing info and not feeling the need to use the new cliché "hacks".

Was watching a number of the EDC (EveryDay/Every Day Carry) videos. Basically what you keep with you on a daily basis. Some seemed pretty basic: wallet, keys, phone, maybe a pocket knife, pen, notepad, some change, etc. But many seem to show the paranoia out there and worse yet, the gullibility of so many people.

I fully understand carrying a couple of adhesive bandages (whether they're the "big name" brand or generic), perhaps an alcohol wipe and even some basic first aid kit items. I understand carrying something to drink and a snack or something if you can't go without eating for a couple hours and don't want to spend $3 for a soft drink. I understand the use of basic "tools" you use every day - specifics are unique to the person and that only makes sense, but I'm still amazed at the number of people who feel the need, no paranoia to necessitate such things as:

-Wire to make a snare to catch a squirrel or something to eat.
-A fish hook and thread to catch a fish (or sew back an amputated limb.
-A tourniquet. They're needed every day apparently.

-A stainless steel container so you can boil water if you're caught away from home for days and can't get potable water.

-Radiation tablets ("in case we get nuked")
-Water filtration straws/containers and water purification tablets.
-6 ways to start a fire and of course tinder.

Couple these with the "prepper" vids. One family with about 6 cases of commercial rolls of toilet paper stashed in the roof of their garage for SHTF situations. Stockpiling cases of tuna and I could go on, but sheesh, this isn't having a well-stocked pantry, which I believe in heartily, but this is beyond rational thinking IMO.

I understand and believe in "being prepared". I have flashlights, candles and the like for when the power goes out. I have basic alternate heating for when (as it did this year) the furnace went out. First Aid supplies for needs, etc. People suggested I was pretty paranoid for carrying hand sanitizer. But I don't carry everything on me every single day no matter where I go. I am finding out how gullible, paranoid and ignorant people have become. It was shockingly reinforced not long ago and I just shake my head. But when I look at the things people watch on TV I shouldn't be surprised that they feel they need to carry a portable tent with them on their way to/from work.

I don't get it. But as the occasional optimist be I, at least there will hopefully be someone nearby who can field dress and cook a moose when I'm stuck downtown after the zombies attack.

You'll have to excuse me. I'm going to go set up my stand to sell tin foil hats to raise money to buy fish hooks and radiation pills. Oh and toilet paper. LOTS of toilet paper!

I think the proposed wall should be to stop the nutcases. Probably more effective. And those people have money to pay for it too!

I so mourn the death of common sense.

Comments (42)

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    4 years ago

Cynic, forget trying to sell those tin foil hats. When.. not if, but when the zombie apocalypse happens, I'll look out for you.

DH shakes his head at all the survival shows I watch, but i thoroughly enjoy them. If I were 30 years younger I would love to be a participant.

Those preppers shows arent for me, though, and I don't stock pile. Those couponer shows either. Their stockpiles will keep them squeaky clean but what are they going to eat? What are they going to feed the zombies to keep them at bay?

Well, if you need me to build you a fire or help forage for food, call me!

cynic thanked moonie_57 (8 NC)
  • adellabedella_usa
    4 years ago

Lol! I own a lot of that stuff and I have a stash of toilet paper, but I am not a prepper.

You can't sell those people tin foil hats. They already have a ten year stash they made themselves.

I don't watch much tv anymore, but some of those people are quite entertaining and scary at the same time. It's the proverbial train wreck where you can't look away. There was one guy who had a plan to perform a c-section on his wife when she went into labor. She had to have been an idiot too. Another guy was making his own bullet proof clothing from things like car parts and bbq grates. He was trying to get an in-law or someone to shoot him to try it out. Another decided his wife and her sister were going to die within a few days of a power outage because they were diabetics and couldn't keep the meds cold.

I do enjoy reading and watching some of that stuff when I have a how to question.

cynic thanked adellabedella_usa
  • Related Discussions

I can't shake my sadness. DH's Mom has passed.

Q

Comments (15)
    Clare, I missed seeing this earlier. I'm so sorry. Even though you weren't close physically, you had a connection. Emotions are not something we can always predict. Grief can hit unexpectedly. It did so with me when a friend passed away that I wasn't super close to, as in best friends, but we sang in choir together as altos, and I admired her greatly. Her death from cancer hit me much harder than I ever expected. It's natural. It's unfortunate you can't express it openly. I'm sure you miss being there with your DH, too. Hang in there. I'll be thinking of you. Sally
    ...See More

How do I know if I have a mouse in my room or just in my head???

Q

Comments (4)
    Since this is an outer wall, I'll wager this is thermal expansion/contraction of the piping or heating elements. When I was very young, the house had a family room that had been converted from a screened porch. A loop of hydronic baseboard heat was the easiest to add to a system that had radiators elsewhere. As the heat would come on, one could hear the baseboards creaking with expansion, which would occur sequentially around the room. Sounded like some small and not especially energetic critter making the rounds. If you don't see droppings, you don't have mice. Snakes, maybe, but not mice.... ;-) Cheers
    ...See More

All I Can Do is Shake My Head

Q

Comments (7)
    I am on several freecycle lists as well. But I check them on their site, as I didn't want all those darn "want" ads in my mailbox. I have gotten so disgusted with freecycle anyway, that I haven't checked it in AGES. Now I look at craigslist. Not as many wants, but they are starting to creep in there too. :( Moni
    ...See More

Shaking my head

Q

Comments (14)
    "I like how she thinks that her toothache is an emergency that should involve DH in any way, shape or form." I know, it's so ludicrous. See, that is the problem with BM and other parents like her. DH can tell her until he is blue in the face that ALL communication between them needs to pertain to SS and SS alone. But then BM will *make everything* be about SS somehow. Like yesterday and the toothache. It was our 5 day period with SS, and he should have been with us through Monday morning. BUT per the parenting plan, BM got SS for Halloween this year, so DH was taking him to her house at 4 pm yesterday. I'm sure somehow in BM's warped mind, the fact that she had a toothache was going to affect SS because she was not feeling well. And that's how she justified trying to get the name/number of the dentist. What's loco is the woman has STATE INSURANCE that, I'm SURE, will pay for a dentist. I don't know what the deal was yesterday, if she was trying to find someone who would see her on an emergency basis or what. Who knows. I agree, Ima, in all other aspects, DH IS a decent man---which makes it all the more frustrating why he is the way he is with BM and that sick relationship. BUT ditto Mattie. He is trying, he's working to set boundaries, at least more so than in the past. He jut commenced his own therapy and the woman he is seeing is a stepfamily-oriented counselor with a solid reputation. I am hopeful she will be really positive for him. I haven't pressed him for too many details because he is antsy about therapy and I want him to get comfortable and not feel pressured or anything. I do know that when he recounted the details--the things BM has done, ie false child abuse allegations, drinking, assaulting me, verbally harrassing me, him, putting SS in the middle---the counselor said, "This is a serious situation that requires serious action." I think hearing an objctive person tell him that this stuff is NOT NORMAL really made an impression. He told her, too, that he feels torn because his wife (me) wants him to stand up to BM, stand up for our marriage and family, and HE just wants to keep the peace. (He admitted it, ladies! HAAAAA.) The counselor replied, "Well, guess what? I'm going to teach you how to do BOTH." Yippy!
    ...See More
  • moonie_57 (8 NC)
    4 years ago

Well, obviously I'm missing out! Are those prepper shows still airing? I'd like to get a look-see at this man/car hybrid. Maybe I'll trade DH in for a newer model!

• Lucille
    4 years ago

My summer handbag is fairly large, it's one of those mom sized ones. Most of the time I carry only a wallet or those teeny handbags, but this one I have is big enough for Emergency Stuff like kleenex, powder compact and lipstick, a tube of hand lotion with room left over.

But all that other stuff? A squirrel snare? How can you even fit that in a handbag?

I have visions of little old ladies at Walmart at the checkout line and they are carrying all that stuff and their coupon for ten cents is underneath it all, and I am behind them in line, and they slowly, deliberately disgorge the items one by one and 45 minutes later they find the coupon, give it to the cashier, and then of course have to load the stuff back into their bag.

cynic thanked Lucille
  • mamapinky0
    4 years ago

I am roaring in laughter here..so funny. I truely hope this thread remains this way..love it.

cynic thanked mamapinky0
  • jim_1 (Zone 9A)
    4 years ago

And then there are those who are older and buy whatever it is on sale, because some day it might be useful.

Imagine this if you will...living in a 'senior community' with a bus that takes the folks to the store every Wednesday (senior citizen's day - 5% off). Paper towels are on sale, a package of 6 is good, but one never knows, buy two packages. You know that they won't go bad. Store them under the bed, no other space because you have stockpiled toilet tissue last week. And the window cleaning stuff? It will get used some year maybe.

Ah yes, my father's apartment. I discovered this after he died.

cynic thanked jim_1 (Zone 9A)
  • mamapinky0
    4 years ago

When my Aunt was still living she stockpiled nightgowns, she passed 2 years ago and had oodles of nightgowns with tags intact from the 50's &60's...from a fancy boutique in town that closed down in the early 70's..she always wore long ones in the cold months knee length in the summer..I could not understand why she needed so many.

cynic thanked mamapinky0
  • Elizabeth
    4 years ago

One does not snare squirrels. One uses a trap. One would need a very large handbag and bait. ( **shudder** )

cynic thanked Elizabeth
  • yeonassky
    4 years ago

I always wanted to learn to at least know how to survive, nay thrive, in the post zombie apocalyptic world. I wanted to be the female version of Richard Dean Anderson. I don't chew gum but do keep emergency packs in the car and always have rope in the car too. Oh and a windshield glass smashing and seat belt slicing device. :). I suppose I should find some personal armor at some point too, so they can't bite through... ;)

cynic thanked yeonassky
  • moonie_57 (8 NC)
    4 years ago

Personally, I would worry more about an alien invasion. For that dilemma, what should one carry in a somewhat smallish handbag?

• arkansas girl
    4 years ago

There have always been crazy people like that, it's just that now we see them everywhere. We used to not have all the media we have now. The media is feeding their insanity. Sad really, I'd like to live without knowing how insane people really are. I'm beginning to lose my faith in mankind. It gives new meaning to the saying about "the more people I meet, the more I love my dog".

cynic thanked arkansas girl
  • Elizabeth
    4 years ago

I would carry a knitting bag for use after the zombie apocalypse. Since I can knit socks....I think I would be royalty. ;-) That's my plan.

cynic thanked Elizabeth
  • PKponder TX Z7B
    4 years ago

I've nothing useful to add, but I am rolling on the floor laughing! I do carry my nitro in my purse as well as ibuprofen for emergencies. And spare grocery sacks and a water dish in the car for the dogs. I'm more worried about the neighborhood addicts than an alien or zombie invasion :-) If we have a nuclear disaster, I hope to go in the first flash.

cynic thanked PKponder TX Z7B
  • yeonassky
    4 years ago

Some kind of alien spray. Water maybe. ;)

I joke about it but seriously also feel badly that paranoia has reached a high it seems. I try to remind myself that if it's hidden nothing can be done about it, but if we're aware of the fears something can slowly be done about it. Or am I just an eternal optimist.

cynic thanked yeonassky
  • moonie_57 (8 NC)
    4 years ago

Thanks, cynic! I have accomplished two things this evening. I have finally figured out who the Dungers are and have added a derringer-style raygun (thanks Elizabeth) to my shopping list. That weapon should also pack a punch against zombies, should I be wrong in their existence.

Now I'll go worry about Syria. :(

• mamapinky0
    4 years ago

OMG.. do people really believe in zombies? I don't watch much TV soo I'm out of the loop. But my daughter says just stay indoors..zombies don't know how to use doorknobs..haha

cynic thanked mamapinky0
  • sealavender
    4 years ago

I am ashamed to admit that I recently purchased a "purse pack" of Duck tape. It's in the glove compartment; one just never knows.

cynic thanked sealavender
  • gyr_falcon
    4 years ago

Jeeze. I had to google to figure out what some of those "show names" represented. I don't watch whatever show it was on, but who is just dandy with running out of toilet paper at critical times? Not me, I tell ya. Does a single Costco pack count as hoarding/ survival? ;)

cynic thanked gyr_falcon
  • cynic
    Original Author
    4 years ago

All I can say is, in what kind of world do we live when you can't even sell tinfoil hats to wackos? I am depressed.

Food probably wouldn't have been an issue when my "late" cat was around. (Thanks to that "W" store that most southerners seem to love and most northerners seem to hate) I got some mice in the house and "The Mighty Hunter" wouldn't catch and kill (she was more into catch and release) but she would herd them over to me, announce that she was bringing me one, tag off and then it was my job to dispatch. She did the same thing with crickets. But gotta give her credit, she cleared the house out better than the traps that I set.

Perhaps the new cat is trainable for zombies.

• Elizabeth
    4 years ago

We'll need a bobcat. A hungry one.

• mamapinky0
    4 years ago

A few tips to keep you safe from zombies..wear tight fitting clothes so they can't grab them..ladies get out those 5 sizes too small spandex..

Keep your hair short to prevent them from grabbing it.

Stock up on pillows..if you have to shoot the zombie they will act as a silencer..no need to panic the sleeping hubs.

Befriend them...give them your ex in exchange for your life.

Last but not least....dress up as a zombie, and make grunting sounds..they will think your family.

• kittymoonbeam
    4 years ago

What worries me is that there are people who think that the country may turn against itself if the monetary system collapses or the govt. does the same. It's fear of mob rule. Then people sell to those fears. Getting people thinking like that worries me.

• Dakota
    4 years ago

I don't have much to add but the weirdest thing I used to carry in my purse was a plastic fork. I always had one with me, it came in handy way more than you would think. Of course once I used it I would replace it with a new one.

• Elizabeth
    4 years ago

My EDC purse is rather large. But, hey, I am not asking anyone to carry it for me. Odd items? Maybe the small flashlight in the outer pocket. I was in a large grocery store once and the power went out. I was in the area furthest from the front windows and doors. It really was pitch black. I heard a few shrieks and muffled conversations as I was trying to feel my way around. Then a woman began screaming hysterically. It was totally unnerving. Employees began to shout, "Go to the checkouts!". It seems they were very concerned with shoplifters. Eventually an employee came up with a dim flashlight and lighted a main aisle for us to use to get to the front. I can easily reach my flashlight now and this will never happen to me again.

• Hareball
    4 years ago

This post kinda sounds like the ant and the grasshopper. lol Ok yes some of these prepper people can go a bit overboard (C-section? Just let her push the kid out like everyone else haha). But what is wrong with preparing for emergencies? People used to always be prepared for any event. Extra food, extra ammo, etc. Today people think that's being paranoid. Maybe these prepper people think everyone else is crazy for not being prepared. And if something does happen who is everyone going to run to? Yes there are a lot of paranoid people, but there are also a lot of "that'll never happen to me" people. Both scary attitudes to have.

I am not a prepper, but who am I to judge if someone wants to feel save by having extra in case something does happen. From what I read I'm assuming this post was meant to be funny also but just thought I'd throw this in. :)

• Elizabeth
    4 years ago

I think reality shows are deliberately exaggerated for effect. Unless it is taken to the extreme no-one would watch. I don't watch reality shows but have seen them at other folk's homes. I saw a man on on a so-called reality show with an injury and he couldn't get help and he needed food and water! Very dramatic. What would happen next?! It was not appreciated when I said he could just ask the cameraman or director for water and a band-aid. Maybe go back to his trailer.

• OutsidePlaying
    4 years ago

I just snorted my coffee through my nose!! Laughing my head off! I think my purse is my weapon of choice. My cell phone is my flashlight. I don't think I carry anything unusual unless you consider a toothbrush, eye drops, a mini-hand lotion and a bag of lipsticks. Somehow as I've grown older my purse got bigger. I blame it on having to wear reading glasses, my sunglasses, multiple loyalty cards and coupons we feel we must carry. Yes, I can shoot but only do it for fun and practice and I do have a permit but don't usually have my piece with me. I'm not a prepper but I like to grow some of my own food. I do have some skills. I totally get the need to feel safe and prepared though.

But to park yourself in front of the TV to watch all this stuff is more scary than what you are scared of in a perverse way.

• chisue
    4 years ago

Thanks for the intro to the funnies, Cynic. Glad to find you in good humor! I've never seen these 'survivalist' programs. Now I know why. Reminds me of, "The coward dies a thousand deaths..."

I decided to buy and carry a penlight after a cruise. Yes, our cabin had big sliders and a lovely balcony, but the interior passageways depended entirely on artificial light. I used the penlight most recently on a plane at night, searching for something *inside* my overstuffed travel purse. (Overstuffed with DH's reading glasses, sunglasses, book, pills, and travel documents.)

• petra_gw
    4 years ago

• blfenton
    4 years ago

I have a small flashlight on my keychain and I always have dental floss in my purse. Do you have any idea how strong that stuff is - I figure I can strangle the zombies with it.

I'm trying to find a mini cone-of-silence for my purse - just in case.

• Elizabeth
    4 years ago

And at the same time they look like Kisses candy.

• amylou321
    4 years ago

I also have a mini flashlight on my keyring. I used to carry a salt shaker in my car,because all of these "home cooking" places around here apparently are against seasoning. There is no worse catastrophe than mashed potatoes or fries with no salt. Now I just cook at home. Crisis averted.

• adellabedella_usa
    4 years ago

There is nothing wrong with being prepared for emergencies and what you think life is going to throw at you. Some of what the preppers do was basic knowledge type things from the not too distant past. After watching Survivor, I've been curious about things like making butter and cheese and how to start a fire without matches or catch a fish without hooks. Some of the prepper websites have good info for that.

Growing up, I knew people who still did some of the things the older ways. I knew people back in the 70's who used outhouses and had no indoor plumbing. They didn't go to the store to buy fruits and veggies or seeds. They saved their own seeds from year to year and grew most of their own food. Fertilizer came from the dried cow patties in the pasture. Food was canned and kept in a hand dug cellar. My neighbors stored the potatoes under the front porch covered in lime.

Some of the prepper shows like Survivorman are fun because they are how to type shows. The other prepper shows bring out the crazies. That's entertainment with little educational value.

• marilyn_c
    4 years ago

I'm good on squirrels. And possums, if times ever get so bad we have to eat them. (As my husband says "So many possums....so few possum recipes."). I watch very little TV. I also am a fan of YouTube. I don't carry a purse....just a clutch type wallet. I am not prepared for much of anything. However my truck gets so full of crap that one time when I was in Houston with my junking friend and we stopped to get a burger, two guys walked past my car and we heard one say to the other, " I bet she lives in her car." :D Well, almost but not quite!

• graywings123
    4 years ago

I think we all have a bit of crazy in us. If any one of us were to suddenly drop dead, the person tasked with cleaning out the house would wonder about our decisions to retain or carry around with us. It's just that other people's oddities are much easier to identify.

• anne_ct
    4 years ago

I don't think anyone has mentioned this...but...most of us who have had little children...our own or someone else's...are hardwired to carry a myriad of things in our handbags when venturing out so we can avoid any small problems along the way. Band aids, snacks, clean wipes...yada, yada, yada. You Moms know what I'm talking about. And old habits are hard to break. Thus we tend to continue with our bag of goodies far longer than we [maybe] should.

Just a thought as I'm flying through. :-)

• joyfulguy
    4 years ago

What's this, cynic - you brought tinder ... but no matches/(lighter?)?

Yesterday, I visited the snowmobile-accident-confined landlord in the hospital, then went to United Way to work on this year's list of charities that my tax-free-capitaI-gain-stock-when-sold-to-support-a-charity is to assist.

Then came to this city library till I'd planned to visit my son ...

... visiting the bathroom on arrival and, after my two-hour limit on the city's computer ...

... again when I stood to leave.

On becoming aware that my bag was no longer with me ...pretty sure I didn't pick up my bag n the bathroom at the time of the second visit.

Returning today ... no report of a bag turned in.

Didn't take it in to son's place, or to a store or two I visited. Did someone pinch it out of the car?

Whatever ... the stuff in it is no longer available.

Guess I'll have to start out my accumulate my (bag-carried) stash of survival stuff all over again.

Wait a minute - my bank book was in there, too!
    (Rarely-used credit card ... in wallet in my pocket).

Oh, well!!!!

ole joyful ... most of the time.

• Lucille
    4 years ago

Being prepared and having a 'mom' handbag are good things. And if you live in a disaster prone area, by all means have a couple flashlights, and so on in case the electricity goes off. I have stuff on hand in case there is a hurricane and no electricity, after having spent ten days of Texas summer misery some years ago with no electricity after a hurricane.

Having canned food is a good idea, as is a basic first aid kit.

But what was mentioned is stuff like squirrel snares, planning to do a c section on your wife at home, that's crazy stuff, to me.

• Elizabeth
    4 years ago

"But what was mentioned is stuff like squirrel snares, planning to do a c section on your wife at home, that's crazy stuff, to me."

That crazy stuff does not happen in the US of A. Puh-leeeze....

• DawnInCal
    4 years ago

My husband often calls me a girl scout because it seems no matter what he needs, I have it either in my purse or the backpack I carry when traveling. I don't carry a big overstuffed purse, but I do have a small change purse that I always have with me and it contains a couple of band aids, toothpicks, tweezers, nail clippers, a small emory board, a couple of aspirin and a couple of allergy/hayfever pills. In addition to that, I carry travel size bottles of hand sanitizer and hand lotion and one of those small flashlights on my key ring. And, I always carry a disposable lighter with me as you never know when you might need a fire for some reason. It sounds like a lot, but it doesn't take up much space and one or the other of the items I've listed has come in very handy at times.

I do draw the line at tin foil hats though - mainly because I don't like having hat hair...

• Elizabeth
    4 years ago

OK... I have all that stuff too.....and some butterfly closures. I guess I imagine bigger wounds than just a band-aid can handle.