SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Frost Advisory for NE/E OK 1-9 am Fri 4-7-17

Heads up! I bet all you gardeners in northeastern and eastern OK already are aware of this, but just in case you're not:

The Tulsa office of the NWS has issued a Frost Advisory for northeastern and eastern OK for early tomorrow morning from 1 am to 9 am on Friday, 4/7/17.

If you have tender vegetation that might suffer frost damage, you normally can prevent damage by covering it up.

Here's the text of the Frost Advisory:

Frost Advisory for 4-7-17

For further information, you can click on the county map on the website of NWS-Tulsa and get your local forecast. I've linked that webpage below. If you click on the portion of the county as close to your physical location as possible, you'll get the point forecast for your specfic part of the county. There's also other handy info on the webpage including forecast rainfall amounts for the next rain event.

NWS-Tulsa Webpage

When looking at your local forecast and trying to decide if it will be cold enough for frost to form, remember official temperature readings are taken at 5' above ground and that plants at grade level may experience temperatures lower than the forecast low. I learned that the hard way a long time ago. If in doubt, cover up your plants, preferably with a breathable textile. If you use plastic, any portion of the plant that touches the plastic may suffer damage because plastic conducts the cold to the plant.

At our house last night, the temperature actually stayed 1 degree above our forecast low, but at the two OK Mesonet stations closest to us--Burneyville to our W/NW and Madill to our NE, they went several degrees lower than forecast: 35 for BVille and 34 for Madill, both of which I found shocking. Those are two examples of how a forecast that sounds safe for tender plants somehow fails and gardeners who thought their plants were safe may have found some damage this morning.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor