SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
posierosie_zone7a__

Post your Spring pictures!

Spring is here or just around the corner!

Please share your Spring bulb and garden pictures here!

Comments (78)

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    7 years ago

junco1102, what is that lovely purple flower you show above? The one with the two pictures (with and without snow)?

• junco1102
    7 years ago

Anna, it is Iris reticulata Gordon. It blooms quite early, and frequently gets snowed on. But I really enjoy it because it is my first sign of spring here, even before the crocus.

• Related Discussions

Spring Fever - post your pictures!

Q

Comments (19)
    All those lovely summertime shots make me want to get out seed packets and shuffle them, making plans. We don't get snow -- unless you count the dab of sleet we had last week. It helps to pot up bulbs to bloom inside like hyacinths and amaryllis. A freeze took out open Camellia blooms last week but tight buds opened quickly as it warmed. This this pic is from yesterday; today we have rain and the amaryllis and I are bundled up inside again.
    ...See More

Please post your pictures of your citrus partying outdoors. Pics.

Q

Comments (142)
    My citrus have started the party out doors. Nagami kumquat in very bad shape but I believe it will live.. It is marked with the flying baseball cap. the crown marks my sweet lee tangerine tree. It was on its death bed then and is doing very well since planting there. The large tree below is my seed grown meiwa kumquat tree. In the process of moving it in and out I dropped it once and forgot to put in the spacer and burned the trunk with the light bulb. It has lost 1/3 of its leaves and shows no sign s of growth the smaller tree is a seed grown nagami kumquat. It is doing very well. 3 happy sweet lee tangerine trees from seed in bottomless gallon food tins. I had placed 3 sweetlee trees and a nagami kumquat tree in the community garden. Squirrels dug 3 sweetlee trees and the nagami up, one was replantable but died. the seed grown nagami was in critical damaged and was moved on to the roof as seen in the flying baseball cap. All four trees were very un happy not because the were grown from seed Here is a link that might be useful: http://s1094.photobucket.com/user/wreristhechimney/slideshow/Seed%20grown%20Meiwa%20kumquat%20tree
    ...See More

How to post a picture in your actual post??

Q

Comments (66)
    Good job all of you. It is really cool to be able to do this for the first time. My son wrote out the line of code and taped it to my computer monitor. That's how I finally got it, by being able to read it right in front of me everytime I wanted to insert a photo. Note for any who are testing their skills.......when you type out your message and insert your photo, the photo WILL show up when you hit "preview message" before submitting. So, if there is no photo on the preview page, there won't be one on the real deal. Red
    ...See More

spring post spring post spring post

Q

Comments (55)
    Not great lighting for pics, but a couple spruces are doing their thing: Picea pungens 'Procumbens' It used to be very stiffly horizontal, but the left side started upturning last year or so. Usually even more intense blue. Picea abies 'Pendula' Picea glauca 'Rainbow's End' Picea pungens 'Thume'
    ...See More
  • Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    7 years ago

Ah, thank you. I could tell it was an iris but finding the variety was proving futile. Much appreciated, it's quite lovely--must find a space for it.

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    7 years ago

Thank you all for sharing your pictures! Heidi

posierosie_zone7a thanked xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
  • PineBarrenGardener
    7 years ago

Heidi - beautiful. Love the red tulips!

posierosie_zone7a thanked PineBarrenGardener
  • hala2012
    7 years ago

Thank you all for sharing :)

posierosie_zone7a thanked hala2012
  • sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

It's great that so many people are sharing their spring bulb pics. It's nice seeing all of them.

This is Muscari latifolium. It has different foliage than my other grape hyacinths, a little more tubular than grasslike. The flower starts out all deep purple and develops the lighter blue tip as it matures.

Here are my new Hyacinths, Blue Pearl. If you read my post, "I've Got Crocus" you'll see how the half I planted in pots to bring inside were stunted. They did much better in the ground.

Here are some older hyacinths. The pink and white were planted in 2001. They don't fill out like when they're newer, but it's still a little spot of color with some great fragrance when the breeze catches them.

Golden Ducat, one of my late daffodils

Greigii Tulips, Professor de Monsseri, (a little weather beaten - rain, hail, snow :) with the blue flowers of variegated Brunnera in the background.

posierosie_zone7a thanked sandyslopes z6 n. UT
  • posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Really beautiful SandySlopes!

• PineBarrenGardener
    7 years ago

Sandy - gorgeous blooms. I feel less a gardener as you know all the names of your bulbs! My spring bulbs are mostly identified as "early," "mid," or "late." lol

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    7 years ago

PBG, that's how I started out. I would just write down tulip, hosta, rose, etc. Later I decided I wanted to keep track of all the names because I was collecting so many plants. Gardening has become my favorite hobby.

• KarenPA_6b
    7 years ago

Love the blue blooms in your first pic, Sandy! Your Muscari latifolium is gorgeous - love the two tones of blue effect on it. I am glad the snow had melted and is now replaced with such loveliness in your garden. :)

posierosie_zone7a thanked KarenPA_6b
  • posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    7 years ago

This reminds me of a lovely garden that had lots of different plants and when they all died back in the Fall, you could see the markers that had been hiding in the foliage. I peeked a bit (oops!) and rather than saying anything specific, each marker read "peony". " daffodil ". etc. There were many markers saying the same thing. I already knew they had peonies and daffodils ....

i bought markers, but I feel like keeping them readable seems to be another hobby all to itself so I have marked very little. Its one of the reasons I take pictures of my boxes and slips and I label my pictures- liable to forget otherwise.

• KarenPA_6b
    7 years ago

posierosie, most of my peonies are showing buds. Are any of yours blooming yet? My earliest blooming is my double fernleaf which is close to blooming. It is such a cute plant. Wish it would increase faster. It seems to be the same size for the past 3 years!

• PineBarrenGardener
    7 years ago

Karen, I have buds on a few of my peonies. I have never seen such foiliage on any of my peonies. Posierosie, I do label my perennials, just not my bulbs as their emergence is more obvious to me. There were so many times I forgot and pulled perennials that I thought were weeds...other times I let weeds grow that were inpersonating perennials! I use the Brother labeler. The markers do look odd until the gardens grow and fill in.

• junco1102
    7 years ago

A few more photos

posierosie_zone7a thanked junco1102
  • posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Very pretty pictures- love the little Iris and the tulips.

Karen, your peony is absolutely adorable! Does the foliage stay fresh all summer? I don't have blooms yet, but I do have buds even on the bagged roots that are just a year old (just one bud each). The tree peonies are blooming here so it will be the full season soon!

PineBarren, that's a great story. I forgot a few things between fall and winter this year! A white bleeding heart is in my garden that I only vaguely remember buying....not that I mind. :). It was easier when my garden was tiny. I'm so cheap, but at some point I need to either make a map, a spreadsheet, buy some type of system, or.....all three! ;)

• KarenPA_6b
    7 years ago

Thanks. It is a species peony with fine fernleaf like foliage and usually the earliest to bloom. This helps to extend the peony bloom season. Peonies blooms come and go really quick. Having a few species peonies and their hybrids help to extend the season until the late ones bloom which are usually the full double types that alot of people are familiar with.

That is wonderful, posierosie! I hope you will see their blooms soon. They make great cut flowers if you cut them just when the buds split open. Sometimes they last longer in the vase than on the bush.

Heidi and PineBarrenGardener, I really like the way you present your spring flowers in like a collage style. How do you do that on Houzz? I love how you combine your flower photos, Heidi!

Junco, your species tulips are so lovely! I have tried growing these but they never came back for me. Do they return the following years for you?

Sandy, can you tell what is the blue flowers with the variegated foliage behind the orange tulips in your last photo? Such a pretty combo!

• junco1102
    7 years ago

Karen, I have had the species tulips for about ten years, and they have multiplied each year. They are in a raised planter that has really good drainage. Maybe that is what makes the difference.

posierosie_zone7a thanked junco1102
  • PineBarrenGardener
    7 years ago

Karen, I use a photo editor on my computer, then save and upload here.

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    7 years ago

Karen, sorry it took me so long to see your question. The true blue flowers are from a variegated Brunnera. Here's a closeup.

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    7 years ago

Bulbs are still coming....

Thanks to all who extolled the virtues of Darwin tulips. I'm so glad I tried them. They bloom before my other tulips and last a long time.

Darwin Tulips Pink Impression, this is the last patch to start blooming...

Here's how good they can look even when they're close to fading for the season.

I planted more of these little species Tulips 'Tubergen's Gem'

Ballade Tulips just getting started.

A NOID that came in an assortment many years ago. This one single tulip comes back every year.

Always pretty but hard to get a photo that does them justice..

Muscari Valerie Finnis (These come on after the other type of Muscari I posted above.)

• posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Beautiful pictures and tulips!

• mazerolm_3a
    6 years ago

Well, my Tommies crocus finally bloomed, but I have to say I'm disappointed with their color & size. I don't think I would buy them again. Oh well, I still have the tulips and narcissus coming up soon! :)

posierosie_zone7a thanked mazerolm_3a
  • posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I had the same disappointment with my tommies. I planted 500, but they didn't bloom at the same time so the effect was spotty. I did like the deep purples better than the lavender as they stood out more.

They are supposed to increase well so maybe a year or two....

• KarenPA_6b
    6 years ago

Thanks Pinebarrengardener and Sandy for your responses. The variegated brunnera is just beautiful. Your tulips are lovely too. All of my tulips have finished blooming but the Spanish bluebells and camassia are blooming now.

• posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Karen, I planted Cammasia for the first time last autumn. The buds are getting there....

Any chance to get a picture of yours?

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    6 years ago

Karen, those tulips in that pic are long gone, but the Brunneras still have their pretty blue flowers. Worth having!

Years ago I planted Camassia quamash Blue Melody. I don't know what happened, but I never saw it again. Do you all like yours? Should I try again?

I try to get the large Crocus, but at least you've got flowers after a long winter, mazerolm. That's a sure sign spring has finally come to z3.

There's still more bulbs to come so I hope people will keep on posting. I enjoy seeing all of them!

• KarenPA_6b
    6 years ago

Posierosie, which camassia did you get? Here is a pic of CAMASSIA LEICHTLINII CAERULEA

I also got CAMASSIA LEICHTLINII ALBA but it is not blooming yet.

• posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Karen, thank you for the lovely pictures! I have one white bloom on mine that just popped out. It was listed as "CAMASSIA LEICHTLINII SEMIPLENA".

Do you get a long bloom? These are totally new to me.

• thrills
    6 years ago

Late to the thread but adding some photos. I found a great deal on some clearance bulbs last fall...luckily I had expanded my garden in the spring but hadn't planted anything yet. I had killed off the grass by sheet mulching and I wanted to be sure it was all dead. Soooo I had a nice space for all the bulbs.

posierosie_zone7a thanked thrills
  • sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    6 years ago

To view all those bulbs at once is a feast for the eyes! Enjoy your expanded garden space.

• posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The mass planting of bulbs is amazing! That's quite the expansion - feel free to start a thread and give us updates on its progress. ;)

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    6 years ago

Wow! I love seeing all the flowers, thanks for posting.

Karen -sorry to hear about your late freeze problem. That happened here the last two years and it's so sad to see all the mangled and distorted plants growing where there should have been bunches of flowers. To top that off last year it was really wet and cool afterwards and many of my tulips developed a tulip fire fungus infection which attacks the plants further and unfortunately stays in the soil for a few years. I'm hoping it was just the weather which brought it on since I'm just not willing to spray....

But of course there are always other bulbs, plus I planted more tulips for this year (just in case!)

posierosie_zone7a thanked katob Z6ish, NE Pa
  • katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    6 years ago

Since it's cold and raining I guess I can't have my Sunday coffee outside, so I'll just have to re-live the season through pictures!

I'm almost a little embarrassed to see how many spring bulbs are in my garden, in my defense it's mostly the angles of the photo that make it look like more than it really is. Plus the daffodils keep multiplying and multiplying.

Along the street

the "vegetable" garden

a few tulips in there as well
    a few more daffs on the other side of the yard
    and along the street this week, the new tulips are flowering
    I have a lot of dividing to do this summer, but I say that every year. Some day it will happen.

• KarenPA_6b
    6 years ago

Wow, just awesome and gorgeous pics, Thrills and Katob! Isn't it amazing how much pizazz and life these bulbs bring to spring. I would miss them tremendously if I don't have these bulbs in my garden. Thrills. I think your strategy though not intentional works out wonderfully. I have always wanted to buy the much reduced bulbs but have no place to plant them. I have a bad habit of (over)filling every empty space available. :) Katob, it has been devastating with my tulips. I think they maybe infected with some disease too because their foliage is not healthy. I will take a pic and post and please let me know if the symptoms look like what you had. What did you do with those affected in your garden last year??

Posierosie, so far I am not impressed with the above camassias. I hope the white ones look nicer. Please post your pic of your white camassias when they bloom.

• socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
    6 years ago

Such pretty pictures posted today!

posierosie_zone7a thanked socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
  • katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    6 years ago

Karen I just ignored the problem and hoped for some miracle. For a while this year they looked better, but now that the weather is cold and rainy again, I think the fungus will come on strong.

I hate to say a single bad thing about camassia since they're native and blue which are usually two big plusses around here, but in my garden if the weather is warm the flowers only last a week or so. They don't enjoy the heat at all.

But they do look nice and the double white is still a few days from starting :)

• posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    6 years ago

What a lovely garden picture and great picture of the camassia in your garden. Mine is playing games just opening one flower at a time....sigh.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    6 years ago

katob - I don't think it's just heat with Camassias. Mine only last a week too and its definitely not due to heat! In fact since they are exactly the same colour as the hated Spanish Bluebells I sometimes wonder I am so snobby, eradicating the bluebells and fretting over the Camassias.

And since this is meant to be a picture thread - street in Yorkshire April 19th. The cherries are 2 weeks later than where I live.

Bluebell wood in Yorkshire, same date.

posierosie_zone7a thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    6 years ago

Beautiful cherries, I should be snobby and dislike the overly double and too bright pink but it's one of my favorite spring flowering trees! The bluebell wood doesn't really need a comment, it's just plain amazing. Not just for the color or the extent but for the history of these woods. Thanks for posting.

My camassias are over now yet the white double is yet to come. I thought the white might last longer as doubles sometimes do but last year that wasn't the case and I'm thinking of doing a major thinning of the camassia crowd this summer. Hopefully someone will want them.

Pictures required? Here's the best I have, it's colchicum foliage in the back lawn. Yes it is messy but I can ignore it until the grass grows up and it takes on the look of a meadow. In the meantime a few creeping phlox were planted. Grass seems to grow so well in the phlox I figured I would just give up and plant the phlox in the grass for payback.

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    6 years ago

It's a shame the camassia flowers don't last longer because they sure are pretty.

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    6 years ago

Loving the photos of so many bulbs together!
    Here's some lily flowering tulips (some with dandelion friends :-)

Mona Lisa

Red Shine

Marilyn

That's the end of my tulips. Alliums are coming next!

• posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That's a very nice end to the tulips! Love the long graceful stems.

The alliums, iris and others make the transition to late Spring / early summer so enjoyable.

• KarenPA_6b
    6 years ago

Such pretty tulips, Sandy! Isn't it sad to see them ending! Like Katob said, I wish my tulips would return and multiply as well as my daffodils.

In spite of its quick fading, I truly appreciate the beauty and
    placement of your camassias, Katob! That is a lovely picture and
    blooms of the blue camassias.

I gave some camassias a try this year and am not impressed. This will be my last purchase of camassias. They probably perform better in the northwest where they are native. Between the blue and white ones that i got last year, the white ones are definitely better for me than the blue ones.

• vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY)
    6 years ago

We have very inquisitive squirrels in the area and I was reluctant to grow tulips until now. I planted only a few 'Clara Butt' tulips to see if they would make it and lo' and behold here they are. Even four flowers from 3 bulbs! :-)

posierosie_zone7a thanked vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY)
  • KarenPA_6b
    6 years ago

I am so glad to hear that the squirrels spare your tulip bulbs, vesfl. Will you be planting more this fall? Hope that you do because they are really nice to grow for color and cutting.

• vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY)
    6 years ago

Yes, Karen. I would love to plant more tulips. There is something very special about their naturally sculpted shape, beautiful coloring, and their blooms last for long time. I just hope they come back.

Everyone's photos are fantastic and inspiring. Thank you all for sharing.

posierosie_zone7a thanked vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY)
  • mazerolm_3a
    6 years ago

We have a lot less tulips this year, as we mowed the lawn too soon last Spring, but here they are:

back garden:

side garden:

Marie :)

posierosie_zone7a thanked mazerolm_3a
  • posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Beautiful! Love the tulips and muscari together.

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    6 years ago

Marie, that's a nice show of bulbs you've got there! It's good to see tulips and daffodils are still around somewhere. It sure goes by too fast.

I guess this is the last of it for me. My giant Globe Allium came back small, so nothing to show there. Here's Allium Purple Sensation. This one seeds around a lot if you let it.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County