SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ontario_canada5a_usda4b

spring post spring post spring post

My favorite pine tree woke up and is starting to push candles :-)

What is your most exhilarating garden experience come spring?

Comments (55)

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    5 years ago
    A little sunshine on a rainy day!
    Pinus contorta var. latifolia
    'Taylors Sunburst'
    Ontario_Canada5a_USDA4b thanked alley_cat_gw_7b
  • liono9_zone6b
    5 years ago

Beautiful pine! What’s that narrow conifer behind the pine??? Thanks

• Related Discussions

Post your Spring blooms here!

Q

Comments (182)
    Hi KarenPA, I don't, but this lady seems to say it's inevitable: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2010/sep/04/gardens-bulbs-alliums Excerpt: Perfect partners Alliums have ugly leaves. Actually, they are lovely in spring but by the time the flowers appear they are manky and on the wane. Great leaf obscurers include geraniums, santolina and Alchemilla mollis. Sedum spectabile makes a good partner, forming a succulent mat of foliage around the base, then springing into flower some time after the alliums have faded. Van der Kloet also recommends grey-leaved hostas, Calamagrostis acutiflora 'Overdam', Campanula latifolia 'Alba' and Geranium magnificum.
    ...See More

Late Spring Post.. Part 3

Q

Comments (2)
    @Linda The 1st is Picea Abies 'Hildburghausen'. Shiny dark green from summer to winter. 2"-4"/yr. It will form a conical tree in 10 years with the height of 4' and 2' wide. The 4th is Pinus mugo 'Jakobsen'. Very slow growth. 1"-2"/yr
    ...See More

Post your 2019 Spring bulb pictures here!

Q

Comments (173)
    mazerolm, people tell me I have a short growing season! You must have a love for the garden and flowers to make the effort in z3. It's all looking so good! This year I've had some "no shows". Maybe because of our record breaking rain? Last fall I planted 50 Muscari, comosum plumosum and 10 Ornithalum that I haven't seen yet. They may still show up, but the clock is ticking! Still have alliums around the yard.... One patch of white giant alliums..... Hyacinthoides hispanica
    ...See More

Last post of Spring pics from yesterday - Graham Thomas

Q

Comments (5)
    So much for the original description of "mannerly five by five shrub". At least you get repeat bloom. My first plant from Hortico grew 10', provided ONE flower at the top then grew that long again. I literally bare rooted it and moved the plant when it did that exact repeat performance. I kept propagating flowering stems to see if that would help. Nope, it was twenty years before I had a GT that bloomed more than once. He STILL demanded to be allowed to grow 10'+ before he would flower. I'm glad yours is as cooperative as it is.
    ...See More
  • stuartlawrence (7b L.I. NY)
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

liono, That narrow conifer is Picea Omorika 'Pendula Bruns'.

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    5 years ago
    Yep, 'Pendula Bruns' on the right and 'Joe Kozy' on the left.
    5 years ago

As always very pretty alley_cat. If you have time it would be great if you could start your own thread and show photos of your garden.

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    5 years ago
    Thanks for the help Stu. The op asked about spring experience with a question mark. Just saw it as an invitation to contribute. This is the slowest spring I've ever seen on this forum in well over a decade.
    Ontario_Canada5a_USDA4b thanked alley_cat_gw_7b
  • tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    5 years ago

@alley_cat- I don't think Stu was saying you shouldn't post what you did here but that you always have such nice shots that a separate post with much more would be great.

I must admit I have been lax in posting this year. It was such a short turn around from my last snow shoveling to my first mowing that things have been quite busy catching up. And many conifers are only starting to pop.

tj

5 years ago

tsugajunkie, thanks for clarifying, you hit the nail on the head.

• maackia
    5 years ago

I pulled my P. Contorta ‘Taylor’s Sunburst’ this spring, so I’ll have to appreciate yor specimen from afar. It looks splendid!

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    5 years ago
    Super nice Garen!
  • coniferbros
    5 years ago

Just had to say that all of the photos here look awesome! Exciting to see everyones gardens coming alive. Spring hit fast this year! I’ve been meaning to post a pic or two, just busy with work. I’ll go through my photos later and see what I can come up with. In the meantime, keep the pictures coming...I’ve been waiting all winter for this!

• Mike McGarvey
    5 years ago

Picea abies 'Nidiformis' on the right. Lawn chair in the middle for scale.

Ontario_Canada5a_USDA4b thanked Mike McGarvey
  • User
    5 years ago

Remember now, this is zone 3 and are just starting our above 70's weather with only a few 80's so far. And these will pale in comparison to what others have posted that have more climactic diversity.

But here goes: :)

Above: Small Picea glauca was planted too deep for several years and raised a year ago, putting out male cones and new branch sprouts.

Below: Abies balsamea brought in from the woods a few years ago and was only a stick bc the deer had kept it severely pruned. Now showing vigorous growth after 2 years of recovering (buds broke only a week ago & still protecting it from deer).

The little Jeffery pine below laughed at a hard z3 winter and is eager to send new shoots skyward. :-)

Let's not forget Juniper commonus, Yup, that's it. Recovering well from rabbit damage to the trunk bark over a year ago. Just gave it a 'haircut'.

Quercus macrocarpa (species) leafing out nicely:

And the Betula papyrifera is finally sporting it's white bark:

Tsuga Canadensis is just beginning to show signs of bud break.

Oh yeah, let's not forget lilacs blooming along the hedge.

Ontario_Canada5a_USDA4b thanked User
  • brothergarm
    5 years ago

Very little to share right now with this odd spring, but here's a couple:

Larix kaempferi 'Blue Dwarf'

and Picea abies 'Little Gem'

I'll try and contribute more as they push.

Ontario_Canada5a_USDA4b thanked brothergarm
  • coniferbros
    5 years ago

Gold flushers are fun. Here is Picea pungens 'Gebelle's Golden Spring'

Ontario_Canada5a_USDA4b thanked coniferbros
  • coniferbros
    5 years ago

Not a conifer, but I have it surrounded! I visit this one many times throughout the spring to watch it's various stages.

Paeonia tenuifolia

^My favorite stage just before bloom

^Get's a little leggy.

I recently planted this more compact version

Ontario_Canada5a_USDA4b thanked coniferbros
  • bengz6westmd
    5 years ago

Table mountain pine candles. Sugar maples behind:

Ontario_Canada5a_USDA4b thanked bengz6westmd
  • pete_powell Columbus, O-H!
    5 years ago

Pics taken yesterday in Columbus, Ohio. P. Pungens (5), P. Omorika ‘Gotelli Weeping’, and P. Omorika Pendula. Just to left of back most P. Pungens is P. Pungens ‘Baby Blue’. Between the left two P. Pungens is Mr. Bowling Ball and behind that Arborvitae “Forever Goldy” (which is more green that gold due to shade).

?? in front (black hills spruce? serbian spruce?), just planted P. Pungens ‘blue totem’ (little guy), P. Pungens ‘baby blue eyes’. In back, to right of river birch is the top of P. Pungens ‘fat albert’ (barely visible)

Horstmanns Silberlocke Korean Fir

Concolor Fir

P. Pungens ‘Montgomery’

P. Orientalis Aureospicata and my cardboard weeding system. Behind the fence are dawn redwoods my neighbor started as bare root cuttings 14 years ago. Land is real wet, they are thriving. On the right is an Austrian pine that is being eaten by something as there are small holes in the bark. The Aureospicata was planted to eventually replace it. It is turning out nice, it was the last one left and rather pinner when I bought it 3.5 or so years ago. And of course the conifer that gets no love here, Emerald Green Arborvitae.

My vernal pool is the lowest it has been this time of year since I bought this property 6 years ago(good thing as Im finally building). Ive got “island conifers” planted in here.

P. Strobus ‘island’ and 2 P. Pungens ‘island’ :)

P. Abies ‘skylands’ in the shade, behind is Little Green arborvitae. This thing came with an ‘angled top’, looks like I have to wait another year or three for it to sort itself out.

P. Pungens globosa (big box store variety), Japanese thunderhead pine, p. strobus ‘blue shag’ p. pungens ‘fat albert’. I hate to cut down oak, but conifers get priority :)

Ontario_Canada5a_USDA4b thanked pete_powell Columbus, O-H!
    5 years ago

A few more. :)

4 Emerald green arborvitae, p. strobus pendula, p. abies pendula, p. pungens bakeri, wichita juniper, p. pungens on right. Down low in back are p. pungens thuja, and p. strobus (I think) ‘slowmound’.

P. Pungens ‘baby blue eyes’ in front, p. pungens (from North Carolina) in back. Not sure what kind of pine is behind it on left. This front area does not get a lot of sun, mostly because of 2 large silver maples, a large American basswood(note volunteer basswood on right), and a large p. strobus.

Thats my largest conifer, a P. Strobus. Im guessing 80-90’ tall. In the front of pic is a pom-pom topiary Scotch pine. I didnt prune last year and will just let it grow wild. Future stream with koi pond to run down right side.

My conifern area. It is about 10’x15’. I need to weed but there are ferns. Mostly in shade except for late afternoon sun. Arborvitae ‘forever goldy’ and p. pungens globosa on standard.

conifernaple

P. Abies Clanbrassiliana (and sunflowers)

P. Strobus, P. Abies, P. Stobus ‘vanderwolfs pyramidal’, Green Giant Arborvitae, P. Pungens

Natural setting lol. I must plant on mounds or my trees die. Ive got hundreds, maybe thousands of cottonwoods coming up everywhere. Ever since I cut one down two years ago. Conifers starting on left, globe blue spruce, formanek spruce, weeping larch, iseli fastigiate blue spruce (was thrashed when I bought it). To the left of the Iseli, behind it, and angling out is a Bizon Blue columnar blue spruce(looks weird in pic).

My ‘on standards’ garden (3/5, majority). The papoose spruce in front was surrounded by 3’ tall prickly weeds until 2 days ago. Ive also got those “mini lily pad” groundcover/weeds (purple flowers, see below forever goldy above)that choke out everything. The juniper standard on the right had a ton a bark (well more than half way around) rubbed off by deer a couple years back but showed no signs of injury. It reminds me of the hat in the original fat albert show.

• User
    5 years ago

Thanks for sharing pete! All very nice. How many acres we talking about? Not enough I suppose.. :-)

5 years ago

Not enough is right lol. Im slowly taking up hostas now since I have to room for anything big. It is 2 acres, approximately 90’x950’. The back 40% is wooded but there is an “island of sun” in the middle that is about 25’x65’. Ive got conifers (and a boardwalk since its wettest back there) planted throughout the wooded area. Any place with reasonable sun is planted back there. Ive also planted a bunch of conifers (mostly p. abies) on my neighbors property since she is also a nature lover and said I could. Im going to start clearing out (honeysuckle, anything thorny, invasive trees, etc) to make room for 8 conifers I have in pots now and will plant this fall.

P. Abies on neighbors property (2, one on right)

3 more p. abies on neighbors property. (3rd is to left of middle one, there is a fourth that cant be seen behind it). I love p. abies as this area is in the shade all day and they still grow.

P. Pungens on neighbors property. :)

• sc77 (6b MA)
    5 years ago

Picea abies 'Gold Drift' and Abies lasiocarpa var. arizonica 'Glauca Compacta'

Ontario_Canada5a_USDA4b thanked sc77 (6b MA)
  • sc77 (6b MA)
    5 years ago

Tsuga diversifolia 'Loowit'

Pinus strobus ‘Mason’s Comet’ - Broom I found in 2014

Pinus sylvestris 'Bonna' - Impressive pollen cone show

Ontario_Canada5a_USDA4b thanked sc77 (6b MA)
    5 years ago

Beautiful conifers! Super cool you have one you found and grafted.

Those pollen cones reminded me of.

Pinus Contorta ‘Spaan’s Dwarf’ (and more cottonwoods I need to remove)

• Novice Gardener
    5 years ago

Picea glauca 'Montrose Charm'

Picea abies 'Little Gem' on standard

Picea abies 'Cupressina' (more in the background)

Picea glauca 'Big Berta'

Picea Obovata 'Arctos'

Ontario_Canada5a_USDA4b thanked Novice Gardener
  • Garen Rees
    5 years ago

Great photos everyone. Keep them coming.

Pete, I feel your pain with those cottonwoods. Those and the black locusts love spreading through roots everywhere in my yard.

• Garen Rees
    5 years ago

A tiny toad taking in the view from way atop Picea abies 'Little Gem'.

Picea omorika 'Peve Tijn'. One of my top favorites. I had to take three photos. I've had it for seven years now. Great gold with a blue underside. Most are globose when young and become more conical. Mine has stayed a lumpy little cloud and I like it.

Picea glauca 'Burning Well'. This one is around 11-12 years old. I've had it for two years.

The Larix Kaempferi 'Pendula' has lost a lot of lower branches the past two years. The pole staking it up used to be covered by limbs that have died back but it's still cool. The Pinus thunbergii 'Thunderhead' to the right suffered quite a bit a winter burn this year but it's still happy as can be.

Ontario_Canada5a_USDA4b thanked Garen Rees
  • Ontario_Canada5a_USDA4b thanked pete_powell Columbus, O-H!
    5 years ago

P. Pungens ‘Fat Albert’

• deltaohioz5
    5 years ago

Here are a few.

Frank

Ontario_Canada5a_USDA4b thanked deltaohioz5
  • coniferbros
    5 years ago

Frank, very nice Gold Drift. What variety are the yews? Love the groupings.

Garen, the toad picture is cool! And I like the lumpy look on the peve tijn.

• deltaohioz5
    5 years ago

Taxus (x) media 'Dark Knight'

5 years ago

Frank, Beautiful tree's! What's the 2 tree's in the second photo. One looks like Aurea Jacobsen?

5 years ago

Some photo's from my garden:

Mostly dwarf conifers and Japanese Maples in containers but I have a few faster growing plants.

Ontario_Canada5a_USDA4b thanked stuartlawrence (7b L.I. NY)
    5 years ago

John Paul the 2nd, Gold Drift

Picea Abies Suncrest, Omorika Pimoko, Angel Falls Pine, Maigold

Vermont Gold

5 years ago

Ruby Teardrops

Acro yellow

Bicolor Howell's Dwarf

Big Wave, Silver Mist, Daisy White

Mostly Dwarf Conifers but there's a few faster growing ones

Luteo Variegata, one of my favorite Beech Tree's, Franky Boy

Fukai Pine

5 years ago

Oriental Spruce 'Pendula'

Mariana Doumettii

Perry's Gold

Unknown slow growing Engelmannii Spruce

Maigold or similar

5 years ago

Filips Golden Tears, Ogon Pine in container

• deltaohioz5
    5 years ago

Picea abies ‘Gold Strike’ behind Picea abies ‘Aurea Jakobsen’ in the second photo.

Frank

5 years ago

Pusch

Tom Thumb, Ice Breaker, Aurea Magnifica, Sunglow Maple

Aurea Jacobsen?

Medusa

Mostly Dwarf conifers (a few faster growing) and Japanese Maples in pots.

Engelmannii Glauca Compacta

Goldilocks Pine

• jimbecky48
    5 years ago

Prepare to be amazed!

Not sure what it is but it self seeded beside our patio. Going to have to be removed eventually but it was cool to see it survived the winter. Any ideas what it is?

Ontario_Canada5a_USDA4b thanked jimbecky48
  • User
    5 years ago

Something Larix?

But it could be it's the juvenile appearance that makes it look that way. I think larix wouldn't have old needles that over winter.

• Garen Rees
    5 years ago

Looks like a little Picea abies. Best way to guess would be to look a the surrounding trees. Most likely the parent will be pretty close by.

• brothergarm
    5 years ago

Not great lighting for pics, but a couple spruces are doing their thing:

Picea pungens 'Procumbens'

It used to be very stiffly horizontal, but the left side started upturning last year or so. Usually even more intense blue.

Picea abies 'Pendula'

Picea glauca 'Rainbow's End'

Picea pungens 'Thume'

Ontario_Canada5a_USDA4b thanked brothergarm
    5 years ago

A few more photo's,

Perry's Gold

Koreana Aurea

Oriental Spruce Spring Frost

Oriental Spruce Lemon Spreader

Dwarf Beech Tree

Picea Pungens Spring Blast?

Fagus Aurea Pendula

5 years ago

Picea Abies Aureospicata

Pungens Procumbens

Engelmannii Pendula

Koreana Pancake

Oriental Spruce Silver Seedling

Parviflora Goldilocks

Pungens Maigold, Oriental Spruce Aureospicata has outgrown it's space and is going to be moved.

Oriental Spruce Compacta

Abies Pendula

Feelin Sunny (getting too big?)

• Chad 5a
    5 years ago

Some pics of new spring growth this overcast morning:

Ontario_Canada5a_USDA4b thanked Chad 5a
Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?