SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sharkgirl2000

Blank slate after cleanup

Iowacommute
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We bought this house last July and had new windows, siding, doors, and gutters installed last fall. We are still working on fixing the drainage around the house which we have made some headway.

The house was a foreclosure with either empty flower beds or like the circle drive section was so overgrown things were dead or dying.

I need help with the bed at the front right part of the house which is just dirt right now and the circle drive, but I can put them in different posts if that would be easier.

We live in zone 6 (Kansas City area). The house faces East, and I would consider everything in the front especially because of all of the trees to be part shade (morning sun). If I need to focus on one particular location it would be the area next to the house.

Smithville house · More Info

The whole area is a hump which we've been trying to level hence the 'crater'. Also in the middle of the crater right next to the driveway is a drainage tile we installed last fall because that is where part of the driveway empties to.

I would like to take the bed around the house (side of house faces North) and have hostas which I really love. Luckily I have a green thumb, but starting with a blank slate and all of the trees has me stumped. Obviously we need to get this part taken care of so the rain doesn't keep washing away dirt.

I love the trees and would like to keep the landscaping more natural looking. Maybe hostas and ferns?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what sizes/shapes of plants to put here?

Here are the three pictures as you enter the driveway. The road and driveway both curve so your view is of the garage doors and detached garage which we need to paint.

Also, we have collected all of the Missouri River Rock that the area in feont of the house had and is in a pile in the circle drive. The circle drive area is also co ered with river rock along with other way too skinny beds around the house. So I guess we have that going for us if we want to reuse it instead of going with mulch.

Comments (12)