SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marnster97

Does anyone know if I'm going to end up with a huge problem?

marnster97
7 years ago

Hi, I grow apples, serviceberries, quince, hawthorns and a few other that may be susceptible to Cedar Apple Rust. My neighbor has a huge, old, ugly cedar (right next to my driveway - blocking my southern exposure), that I've been bugging him to cut down for years now. That being said, I have never noticed any Cedar rust on his tree or on any of mine (7 years now).

The problem is, I am planting more & more fruit trees these days, and the nursery behind me just put in about about 20 Eastern red cedars up on the berm that separates our properties!!! My question is, how likely is it that these trees will develop this fungus in the future? Is it a yearly thing once it starts or only in certain years with wet springs?

I'm located in Zone 5b, southwest Chicagoland. I've email my counties extension office but they never got back to me. I don't want to have to spray my trees in the future because of this (I'd rather move)! Should I ask the owner to replace these trees with something else if he would be kind enough to do so (they are only a foot or two tall right now)? Or would it be unlikely that I would even have any issues in the future concerning these cedar trees and my fruit trees in my midwest location?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012