Unable to form a girl gang or just do girls' night out...

livelifekingsize

Hi: I just turned 50 and happily married with one kid in college, the other in HS. I work p/t and generally keep busy. But I do wish sometimes I had a female friend to just hang out with, go shopping or check out a new bar etc. Hubby is a homebody and very content with his Perry Mason books and McGyver re-runs. We occasionally do family stuff and go out. But it will be so nice to have friends I could regularly hang out with. The weekends get boring doing the same old chores, Costco runs etc.

I've tried volunteering but no friendships have formed from this or from my p/t job. I do contact my very small circle of friends to see if they want to walk outside, watch a movie but nobody responds positively. I guess everyone's busy with their own stuff. So now I've stopped calling these friends - I feel silly to initiate things all the time.

Why is it so hard to form steady female friendships here? I came to USA 25 years ago from India..I just had to stand on the balcony there and people would wave to me, the milkman would come etc, I'd hang out with my co-workers: it didn't seem so lonely there.

Thanks for reading this!!

SaveComment7Like1
Comments (7)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sushipup1

Have you tried classes at your local adult school, like a yoga class or conversational Italian or floral design? We moved across country, and meeting new people is a challenge, I agree. Our local adult school is good, and the local library has a number of weekly events, from card games to discussion groups.

Good luck, you'll make more friends!

Save     Thanked by livelifekingsize
livelifekingsize

I tried zumba for a year and I do attend library events but nothing leads to friendships, just "being busy."

Save    
bleusblue2

Do you know about meetup.com? Look it up online -- you find people with similar interests -- I found French conversation, my neighbour joined people who want to speak Italian at dinner. Cooking, reading, dancing, nature, so many interests. Sometimes only 3 people in the group. It opens your pool of acquaintances and maybe you'll find friends. You can choose activities by distance from your home. I myself am fortunate. I live in the city and a neighbourhood with longtime coffee shops. There are about 6 of us who have coffee at varying times, sometimes planned, sometimes on the spur of the moment. Sometimes all 6 but usually just one or two. I have lived here for thirty years and though it's a big city, the neighbourhood feels like a small town. Could you try joining some community improvement association? I wish you some easy-to-get-together friends!

Save    
bleusblue2

Wren, I would also add -- these meetings are usually for an hour, occasionally two. Since we live in walking distance that's a given -- we don't have to commit to a long visit. Every once in a while we all met and go to supper or celebrate a birthday.

Save    
livelifekingsize

Yes, I am part of meetup.org and I have gone to a few meetups (once a year or so). I will try to be more active there. thank you bleusblue2

Save    
mdln

Some of my dearest friends I met volunteering. Volunteer at a place you want to support. For me it was at an animal rescue/shelter.

Save    
Pea

Find people with like interests...like i make art and do art shows and have a group of local people i know that do similar things. A friend that likes motorcycles and has joined a group that rides every sunday to a different locale to have lunch.

Save    

Related Stories

Color Paint Your Bed for a Colorful Night’s Sleep
Take your bedroom somewhere over the rainbow with a bed done up in a shade beyond the pale
Full Story
Vacation Homes Houzz Tour: Room for the Whole Gang in This Cape Cod Home
As homeowners transition to being empty nesters, they expand their summer house to serve extended family year-round
Full Story
Life 10 Things Night Owls Know to Be True
Love being up while the world slumbers? Prefer a really late bedtime to an early night? These observations on night owl life may ring true
Full Story
Decorating Guides 5 Teen and Tween Girls' Rooms With Fresh-Faced Style
By Houzz
Youthful and light, these girls' bedrooms show an age-appropriate mix of playful spirit and design-savvy sophistication
Full Story
Life 8 Ways to Break Out of a Creative Rut
When the inspiration well has run dry, these simple acts just might give you a river of creative ideas
Full Story
Dream Spaces Just a Few Things for the Dream-Home Wish List
A sunken hot tub, dedicated game room, tree house, hidden wine cellar and more. Which of these home luxuries would you like best?
Full Story
Decorating Guides How to Pick Out a Coffee Table
Get a great fit for your room and your lifestyle by considering a coffee table’s size, features and aesthetics
Full Story
Tiny Houses Houzz Tour: Tiny Fold-Out Apartment in Barcelona
Can a 260-square-foot space actually be livable? With hidden functionality and fold-out panels, it sure can
Full Story
Window Treatments 6 Ways to Deal With a Bad View Out the Window
You can come out from behind the closed curtains now. These strategies let in the light while blocking the ugly
Full Story