hazelnutbunny

NEW: obf february 'golden girls'

hazelnutbunny
14 years ago

Thank you for being a friend

Travel down the road & back again

Your heart is true

You're a pal & a confidant.color>

In this month's OBF swap, we will celebrate our girlfriends. Those amazing women that we can always count on no matter the circumstances. Whether you need a laugh, a hug or just an encouraging word, the ladies in this group are always here for each other.

And...let's be honest...we ALL exhibit some personality traits of those famous friends, "The Golden Girls".

We have a few Sophias...a few Dorothys...one or 2 Roses...and most definitely a Blanche (or 3!).

*and just who of us does NOT appreciate a fine male form every now and then?? :O)

A-Hem.

And if you threw a party

Invited everyone you knew

You would see the biggest gift would be from me

And the card attached would say "THANK YOU FOR BEING A FRIEND".color>

The guidelines for this swap will be simple.

~We will send gifts that reflect the GOLDEN GIRLcolor> personality of our partner. Does your partner remind you of Rose? Maybe send her something to remind her of St. Olaf. Maybe she makes you think of Sophia? Send her a book of sarcastic jokes & humor related items. Or maybe she's a Blanche? Well, just keep it PG-13, please! :O)

Have fun with this, and use your imagination! Send something you know she'll love, and something you love to send her!

~Also please send a Valentine card expressing how much she's meant to you (as a friend & member of this group). Make it sweet, make it funny....but make it heart felt & honest.

~No requirements on box size. Just make it one you'd love to receive AND make sure your partner will be tickled pink with it. :O)

~Sign up until January 30th. Partners will be announced on the 31st (or as soon as I remember to do so!) You will have the entire month of February to mail out, so no worries. I want this to be enjoyable for everyone!

~Due to the personal nature of this swap, if you have someone in particular that you'd like to send to, please EMAIL ME PRIVATELY. color> ( hazelnutbunny@hotmail.com )

I will do my best to make sure you're able to do so. I know that we all- from time to time- have something we've picked out for a particular someone, and keep hoping & waiting to get them as a partner.

*DISCLAIMER: OBF is a year long swap group. You need to be a member to be able to participate in our swaps. If you are NOT a member, but would like to become one, please email either Shirley (brittanysgran) or Carol (veeja11).color>

Okie Doke, I think that's it. We have 2 weeks to sign up, so relax...and just think about what you'd like to send if you were to participate (and I hope you will!!).

Comments (123)

• lilangel181
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

#2 is one of my favorites too! I just couldn't pass that dahlia up when I saw it at the garden center. I definitely don't mind if any of yall want to use them for desktops. Just please don't share them around is all I ask.

I've been toying with the idea of still finishing my psych degree, later though. Maybe I could be an art therapist? I don't know how much additional schooling it would require past a BA, and school is definitely NOT my forte', so for now it is just still a passing thought.

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    14 years ago

Where did my post from yesterday go????? I hate that.

Anyhoo, yesterday I posted that Laura's package went out. It went out yesterday afternoon.I now don't have the DC with me but I'll post that later I guess. I hope you like it Laura.

Theresa

• Related Discussions

new: february obf: kiss (keep it simple and sweet) swap

Q

Comments (150)
    Good morning everyone! The BINGO word for today is: Dancing BINGO Words: 1. Romance 2. Forever 3. Dinner 4. Diamonds 5. Love Birds 6. Arrows 7. Infatuation 8. Candles 9. Valentine Doves Love Letters Boyfriend Kisses Pink Cupid Girlfriend Dancing SENT and REC'D: vina (flowergirl34) sends to carol (veeja11) **SENT** carol (veeja11) sends to annie (canyonwind)**SENT** annie (canyonwind) sends to margo (smitties) margo (smitties) sends to sue n. (suegardens2) sue n. (suegardens2) sends to treasa (uptreasa) treasa (uptreasa) sends to vina (flowergirl34) shirley (brittneysgran) sends to rose (rosemctier) rose (rosemctier) sends to em (hostarookie) em (hostarookie) sends to maryellen (mellen) maryellen (mellen) sends to beth (beth_b_kodiak) beth (beth_b_kodiak) sends to mavis (mavis07) mavis (mavis 07) sends to jeanne (sandlapper_rose) jeanne (sandlapper_rose) sends to shirley (brittneysgran) **SENT** I had a wonderful morning yesterday! :) I managed to get 150 jiffies sown. It was so wonderful...there definitely is such a thing as 'dirt therapy'. I feel all recharged!! I still have a bunch more to do...but now that its started...I'm on a roll. I'm so sorry about having the last mailing date on a holiday. I was not even thinking that far ahead...just try to mail when you can. :-) Have a great weekend! vina
    ...See More

NEW: new february fotess swap!

Q

Comments (146)
    I'm just stopping by to check out and say CONGRATS to the winners and wanted to say 'hi' as well. DH and I went down to NOLA last Thursday to celebrate Mardi Gras with family. Now we are trying to re-adjust getting back to reality... hahaha. Saw lots of parades; donned wild and crazy wigs, hairpieces, and facepaint; caught plenty of beads; and laughed whole-heartedly many, many times. I always say that my Mardi Gras is complete so long as I catch some doubloons, a beer koozie, and a strand of the elusive glass beads. There's just something about the good-natured silliness of Mardi Gras that really makes me laugh. This post was edited by kchd on Wed, Mar 5, 14 at 22:24
    ...See More

UPDATE: february obf: kiss (keep it simple and sweet) swap

Q

Comments (69)
    My Feb. box from Em arrived today. As you will remember, I was MIA last month when it was time to send so she and I agreed that she should wait. Wellllll....EM, I am THRILLED with what you sent. Even before I opened it, the box smelled WONderful. When I actually opened it, the heavenly scents just wafted out. But first I pulled out the pkg. that was taped in newspaper. I could peek in 1 end, and when I did I was saying out loud, "oh my, is it really, is it really?" then I opened it and saw I was correct. Em sent 3 Brug cuttings!!!!!! I LOVE them and have wanted some for such a long time. I will have to take time and look up the pics for: Tequila Sunrise, U-Conn Treasure, and Frosty Pink. You must grow these? Thank you EVER so much. Now what smelled soooo good were: Yankee Candle tarts- Home Sweet Home, Island Spa, Autumn Leaves, Garden Sweet Pea, and Kiwi Berries. The other item that smelled so good are Lavender/Vanilla soap petals. You know, I have sent these to others before, but I have never tried them myself. This will be fun and so relaxing in our spa tub. Em also sent a "paint pen" to mark my labels, Valentine chocolates, seeds-mixed Barlow columbine, numerous viola mixes, LOTS of petunia mixes, streaked hosta seedling mix, hosta Fascination, hosta Thunderbolt, hosta First Frost, hosta Christmas Tree, hosta Great Lakes Gold, hosta Blue Belle, and Brug peachy/yellow. Em, I have never tried hostas or brugs from seed so I am anxious to see how they turn out. The hosta seeds are new varieties to me, too. WooHoo! Along with the seeds, Em sent a 10 peat pellet greenhouse. Perfect to try these seeds in this. Also, received CUTE butterfly-shaped sparkly notecards AND ladybug stickers. Em, I am just so excited and thankful for all that you thought of and for the lovely card. I smiled when I saw it addressed to 'ME." :D Thank you again and again. ME
    ...See More

OBF February Swap: A Blast From The Past

Q

Comments (208)
    Emily, Thank you for the wonderful package. I am sorry I didn't post sooner but we were out of town. I love the two vintage books: The Art of Carving and Helen Corbitt's Potluck. I already saw some recipes that I will be making. I love the fantastic seed collection that you sent and will be wintersowing these right away. Thank you also for the yummy treats: Lorna Doone cookies (love these) and yummy Lindor chocolates minus one (my son couldn't wait to try) Toberlone bar- Yum Yum Yum! I also love the tea's Irish breakfast, organic chamomile, english breakfast and Lemon Lane (great name) I look forward to a relaxing cup today after work! Also love the beautiful silver tube key! I have never seen one of those before so I will have to research it and find out more! I love everything Emily! Thank you again! Amy
    ...See More
  • remy_gw
    14 years ago

Hi All,
    Hope everyone has been well. Things have been a little nutty here again like on Friday the furnace wasn't working right and it was really freezing outside. Luckily a gut that went to school with Gary came and fixed it at 8 at night for really really cheap. It was so very nice of him!
    My talk on Sat. about winter sowing went great. People actually came to hear me talk. Now that's a scary thought, lol. I got lots of questions and a big round of applause at the end. I also got to meet the guy who interviewed me. So it was a very good day. You all should of seen the big table cover with seeds too. It was a seed growers heaven!

Margaret,
    I hope your husband is doing better now.

Dottie,
    I'm glad you finally got your cable problems fix and got a discount too. Lol about the Horny Goat Weed. You may be right since the first thing I ran out of last year was Monkey A$$ tomato seed.
    I've not seen Men of a Certain Age. I need to check it out.
    I love artichokes! Good luck with growing them.

Melissa,
    I thought people acted whacky here when a storm is coming, but that is way worse! At least the storm turned out to not be so bad.

Carol,
    Geeze that is too bad about the job. Well, you'll have lots of time to work on the garden come spring. : )

Laura,
    I was just watching a show about the beginnings of photography. I find all that stuff very interesting. Very nice photos too!

Have a good night everyone,
    Remy

• lilangel181
    14 years ago

*dances* I got a wonderful box from Theresa today. It included fuzzy pink socks (wearing them now), a Country Gardens magazine with articles about big style in a small space and cool weather plants (perfect for here!), bulb lilies "dolly madison" and "bernini" (I looked them up. soooo pretty!), a valentine grow kit with forget-me-nots, lots of seeds (including 2 kinds of daylilies I don't have *hops up and down*), a little valentines teddybear with conversation hearts, valentines flavored dots gummies (munching on them now), Jelly Belly "conversation beans" and last but not least... a very nice note from my fellow MSU alumni! GO Green! GO White!

I love it all!! You put so much time and thought and love into everything, and I couldn't have asked for anything more! *HUGS*
    ~Laura

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Great box, Laura! Theresa always sends thoughtful ones. :o)

Sorry I haven't been around much this week (except to complain...LOL!). I haven't been very good company for the last few months, either, for that matter! I do apologize to everyone for that. I will try to keep my posts more on the "upside" from now on.
    I want to be honest with ya'll, and I'm very embarrassed to admit this...but I've been struggling with depression. It's not a new battle for me, one that has come & gone over the years, but since the first miscarriage last summer it's been back & getting worse. I know details are something that ya'll don't need, and that's OK. I just wanted you to know that we are working on it (my dr, family & I), and I'm getting there. Not completely better yet- I've still got a long road ahead, especially after the baby gets here. But I am DOING better. Every day is a challenge for me (especially when the vehicles don't run right, like this morning! lol!), and I'm learning how to deal with things instead of letting them get me down.
    Anyway- I just wanted to let ya'll know about my struggles, because I honestly need some prayers (and good thoughts & wishes, if you aren't a praying gal!). I have learned that I can't do this alone, but I also can't get support if I don't let anyone know.
    Thank you girls for listening to me (or at least letting me post...I wouldn't blame you if you skipped half of my posts!). I truly appreciate EVERY ONE OF YOU.
    Hugs & Squishes,
    Melissa

MARGARET sends to CAROL
    CAROL sends to HEIDI
    HEIDI sends to THERESA
    THERESA sends to LAURA~ received
    LAURA sends to MELISSA
    MELISSA sends to MARGARET

• lilangel181
    14 years ago

Bunny,
    Thank you for sharing, I know its hard. Ive struggled with serious depression all my life so I know how tough it can be doing even little things. Post what you need to say and don't worry about being upbeat all the time... venting is good for the soul as far as I'm concerned! Keep on the lookout for a box today or tomorrow, too. I hope it provides a much deserved pick-me-up!
    *hugs and snuggs*
    ~Laura

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

Thoughts and prayers are with you, Melissa. You have had so much to deal with over the last few years. I know it is hard.
    I haven't posted for awhile so just wanted to say hello to all and I am thinking of you.
    I still have a root canal to go through so it seems like I have had about 5 weeks when I thought of very little other than mouth pain.
    A friend and I were talking the other day and saying how it seems like a lot of what we talk about deals with our illnesses, aches, and pains. The funny part is do you remember back when it was your parents and grandparents doing that? Where did the time go?
    A few know that I changed some of the focus on my business last year so that has made the beginning of the year very busy for me. With the economy like it is though, busy is good!
    Love your pictures, Laura! I, too, love to take garden pictures. Not much to photograph here right now though.
    Anyway, a happy comment to end with - I have sprouts in one of my winter sowing containers!!! Just found them yesterday. The plant is Geranium 'Bill Wallis.' The seeds are from a trade so I may have even gotten them from someone in this group. They got planted on Jan. 17th. Sure hope I can find time to plant many, many more winter sowing containers. I have always had horrid luck starting seeds indoors so winter sowing is a big event in my life in Jan. and Feb. So nice to be planting in the cold, dreary weather. It really extends the garden year.

Jeanne

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, Laura & Jeanne. You ladies are wonderful.

Laura~ You don't know how much I am looking forward to your box! It's been so long since I've participated in a swap, so I am really excited about this one. I think that even if you packed rotten peanuts, I would be thrilled with it! LOL! But I know you didn't, so that makes me even MORE excited! :D

Jeanne~ Glad to hear that your business is doing well! You'll have to keep us updated. I love hearing what everyone in the group is up to. Such interesting women we have here! And busy! :o)

Margaret~ Your box is on it's way this morning. My 13 yr old wanted to bike over to the PO. He thinks it's an adventure, and he's mature enough that I let him go for it. It's only 10 miles from here (round trip). He's gone much further, so I don't worry that he can't make it. (and he's got my cell phone with him, so that helps out, too!) I'll post the DC when he gets back, which should be any minute now. I hope everything makes it OK. There were some breakables in there, but I *think* I packed them well enough. I sure hope so!

• lilangel181
    14 years ago

Who told you about the rotten peanuts?? That was supposed to be a surprise! Beware though, your box is so crammed full of those peanuts that it might explode when you try to open it. I mailed your boxes (this and MNF) a day or two apart so don't worry if only one comes. Also, your young man seems quite the adventurist, 10 miles, on a bike in the cold, with a box... I couldn't do it! (Then again, I don't know how to ride a bike.) He must be a very good kid to earn such trust. Good thing that "peanut" with the bow tied to it is for him and the other kids! The tag I made to go on that bow was just found under the couch by a cat, but there is only one with a bow on it so you'll know what I mean... I hope it comes today, I'm so excited you're excited!
    ~Laura

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The mailman just dropped off Laura's box! Yay!
    I had several helpers while I unwrapped everything, so I hope I can remember it all.
    Here's what she sent:

~Bunny welcome sign
    ~Bag of mixed tea
    ~Stuffed momma bunny with little baby bunnies hanging on her! She's got one on her leg, one on her hip & one on her shoulder. Boy, do I feel like that!! LOL! The kids thought she wasn't complete, though, and stuffed a tennis ball up her dress. :P
    ~Valentine grow kit- strawberries (the girls took off with this!)
    ~Mixed gladiolus bulbs
    ~Mulled cider candle
    ~Incense sampler
    ~Mango scented soap
    ~Deck of playing cards (girls got these, too!)
    ~Rabbit & easter basket figurines/note/photo holders
    ~Blushing bundle of joy baby bunny wall hanging (so cute!)
    ~Teddy bear & moon coin bank (for baby)
    ~Seeds: coneflower, burning bush, chamomile, eyeball plant, balloon flower, sea lavendar, buckwheat, rudbeckia
    ~Magnet that says "A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart, and can sing it back when you have forgotten the words." So true! :o)

Thank you, Laura!! I love everything & I can tell you put alot of thought into it. It was a fantastic pick-me-up today, the timing was perfect. :o)

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    14 years ago

Melissa, We are all here for you. Don't feel like you shouldn't post. I have struggled with anxiety-related depression since my first child was born. Everytime I go off medication it eventually catches up with me. I know you can't be on meds now and certainly the hormones don't help but we are here to listen. I know that no amount of "look at the bright side" will help but while I was at my worst, I used to try to do things like watch comedy. Seems silly but it did help a little. Hang in there....

Laura, so we are alumni together? Only I am from a much earlier day I'm afraid. I graduated in '91 (James Madison). There is a Jacksonville MSU Alumni chapter here I've been thinking about checking out but I probably never will. It seems silly if I didn't actually know any of them when I was there.

Theresa

• lilangel181
    14 years ago

Melissa, you are more than welcome. The kids putting a tennis ball for a baby-belly is TOO funny!! I was walking around my favorite thrift store just killing time when I realized I had walked into bunny-land! Seems they were getting in the Easter spirit early or something. I kept telling myself things like "put the rabbit lamp down, you will never fit that into a box!"

Theresa, I'm not a graduate of MSU but I am technically an alumni. Ive transferred to LCC because their photo and arts program are wonderful, but MSU is what brought me to Michigan from Tennessee in the first place. I don't plan to join any alum association either. Out of the 45,000 plus people on campus in any given year I probably hung out with less than ten regularly, and I still can reach most of them if I need.

• lilangel181
    14 years ago

*poke*poke*

• luckyladyd
    14 years ago

Hi Everyone, Bracing for two feet of snow here. Actually, I personally, haven't done a thing. But I understand all the food is gone from the grocery shelves and there are lines at the gas stations. Funny. You'd think we were expecting to be housebound for a month! I don't think it's started yet, but is predicted to be a whopper. My son's school, Rowan Uni, is closed! They announced by text message to the students that there will be no services for the weekend, including food! He sure is glad I picked him up this weekend!

Well, I did it. I quit my job today. For most of the last 28 years I have been a very active Realtor. Today I cashed it. I could not deal with one more evil thing that the owner of our office would do. I got so many congrats calls that I spent the whole day replaying the drama! Then I marched myself to the volunteer office for Helping Hands and signed up. I feel so much better! DH supports my decision (and agrees to be poor!). We thought about it for two days and I didn't sleep for two days and it really feels good. Hope it still does in a couple of months when we are on welfare :-)

I think DH is home. Stay warm and have a good night.

Dottie

• veeja11
    14 years ago

Bunny you know we love you. you get more than your share of troubles so if we can help, let us. Heidi your box went out yesterday conf # 03083390000145232861. halmark channel is having a golden girls valentine special, they are all in their nighties. sent a self grow boyfriend to you you just soak him and he grows enjoy. hope you like your box. hugs carol

• margaret_2007
    14 years ago

Hi, Ladies-It is snowing & sleeting here but not expecting too much. Just supposed to have this for several days. I do feel bad that one of my girlfriend's mother is to be buried tomorrow so that won't be pleasant.

Dottie-I am proud of you! There is just too much stress in working where you are upset all the time. And then volunteering. What a great lady you are! I am sure you won't starve as it sounds like you have a great DH. I have a lady friend who was in Real Estate & my brother also who had to get out due to some of the goings on. Isn't wonderful living in this wonderful country where we can do things like that?

Bunny-I will be praying for you, dear one. You have a full plate with your family & all. And I am sure the stress from last years ice storm is still bugging you with all that can't be taken care of yet. I also wonder about lack of sunshine you are getting. I have a daughter who has that really cause her problems in the winter. I don't hav e that problem as I find winter comforting but many need that sunshine. I do know from some of the fun things you post about that you are good at making your own sunshine at times! You & your family are such a delight to me.

Laura-Loved your pictures. Another talented OBF lady. Aren't we a great group. And yes, it's great to be able to share with each other!

Carol-I hope to get your box out tomorrow or Monday. The roads were not good tonight coming home so it might be Monday before I get it to the Post Office. I live in a little town & our P.O. is only open a short while on Saturday.

Theresa-Great box you sent. You always do a great one! How are those boys & how is the different class going this year?

Heidi-Where are you, girl? We haven't heard from you for a while. Want to see you posting soon with all those happenings with your boys.

Have a wonderful weekend, All in spite of the weather. Blessings, Margaret

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

Hello Ladies
    I have been here lurking!! I have been in a mood which has caused me to procrastinate. I am getting things together for my box this weekend. My boys have been fine. Jace has finally embraced the terrible two tantrums. I have one word..RIDICULOUS!! John is hoping that we get a lot of snow. He missed the last storm because he was sick.

Any one having a Super Bowl party? What about plans for Valentines day?

I am sending you all lots of Hugs. I can't wait to get my box. I know it is just what I need to cheer me up.

Heidi

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

Hello to all and I hope those with the snow stay safe.
    Wow, Dottie, you had a surprise! I hope you get to do just as you please - volunteer, find a new job, or just relax for awhile. Isn't it something all the stress that we subject ourselves to?
    No party here, Heidi, but it would be fun. As for Valentine's Day, my husband and I actually mentioned that this evening wondering what we would do - go out to eat? cook something special? I wonder if the restaurants will be more crowded on Sat. or Sun.? I always prefer going out to eat compared to having to cook, but when the restaurants are really crowded you just about wish you had stayed home and cooked. We love fondue and I have not made that in a long time so I am considering making it for Valentine's Day - fairly simple and maybe I can get some help cutting the apples, carrots, bread, etc.
    Jeanne

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

Yeah my box came today!! Wow it was filled with lots of things. They were all pink or had a rose..

glass cross with a rose
    Nail polish
    heart candle holder with tea lights
    glass watering sphere
    Frog
    Teddy bear holding a rose
    Socks with kisses on them
    picture frame
    chocolate candy
    Valentine grow kit~burning love
    ceramic burner with wax scent~tea roses
    Seeds~ Pink poppy, Dwarf Gaillardia, purple pole beans, Lav Frilly poppy, zinnia and pink glad
    As promised I also got a "Grow a boyfriend" :o) The package reads He always listens, he is never late, he smells good, he doesn't watch to much tv, and he is always there for you. Wonder if he will make my husband jealous??

Thanks so much for my box Carol. It definitely put a smile on my face. Now I am off to grow my boyfriend.

Hope everyone is enjoying the snow. My son and I were out for about 10 min. The wind is to cold on his face. Now the sun is out. Hopefully this will melt quickly!!

Heidi

• brittneysgran
    14 years ago

Melissa-I'm praying God will help you with the depression. I like you and several others have had battles with depression. The first time I experienced it was when my daughter got married and left home. The second time was when my son joined the Marine Corp and left home. Talk about empty nest syndrome. I did get into gardening and that was my salvation. I think I have a hard time with things changing. You hang in there and remember all those precious little ones you have.

Margaret-Yes you are so right about the sunshine...I need it badly. I am not into dreary, cloudy, rainy and cold days.

I thank God for this group that we can reach out to one another and share.

Dottie-Good for you...now enjoy every minute of it. Volunteers are awesome.

Laura-Love your garden art pictures...those are beautiful.

Remy-Is it not nice to know someone personally who can fix things when needed. DH's brother always helps us out when needed. He put in our new furnace and did not charge anything for his work. He even bought the furnace with his discount card. Sure saved us alot of money.

Heidi-I sure hope your boyfriend turns out handsome. lol

We are giving my Mom a surprise Birthday Party tomorrow. She will be 80 years old. I need to finish the photo album of her that I have put together.

Take care all.

Shirley

• remy_gw
    14 years ago

Hi All,
    I've been so busy.

Melissa,
    Don't feel bad. Your posts aren't depressing. You are very funny!

Jeanne,
    Glad to hear you are busy! Though I'm sorry you are still having mouth trouble. Hopefully that ends soon. Yay that you got a sprout!!

Dottie and Maryanne,
    How's the snow?! There's like a small layer here. It is fun to watch other areas get it. Of course what you got there is no big deal here. I can see people clearing out the store shelves though.

Dottie,
    Congrats! If your boss was insufferable and people were congratulating you, you know you did the right thing. Great to hear you signed up to volunteer.

Shirley,
    I hope the surprise party turns out great.

For anyone I missed and all you that haven't posted recently, hope you are well.
    Have a great Super Bowl Sunday,
    Remy

• luckyladyd
    14 years ago

Hi Everybody,

The snow is pretty and very light and fluffy . . . but there sure is a lot of it! Like you said, Remy, it really isn't a big deal here, either, for me. My son and I hopped in the car and drove an hour to get to an Ikea to start thinking about remodeling their kitchen.

Nice box, Carol. Love the boyfriend plant.

Thanks for all the congrats on the insane thing I did! The terrors are beginning to strike. The "OMG, what-have-I-dones" are haunting me at night. Last night I had a dream that the world's best buyer came to me and just wanted to buy a house, but I wasn't licensed any more and I couldn't do it. It was awful.

Maryanne, where are you? Buried under all the snow? The Phila Flower Show is next weekend. I'm going. Are you?

Bunny, hang in there. Come out and talk to us. I, for one, have all day to listen now!

Shirley, you folks that have the patience to spend oodles of hours on scrapbooks and photo albums have my utmost respect. My best friend's daughter did one for a Christmas gift for her grandmother and it took her months. It was truly impressive.

Jeanne, we never seem to do much for V. Day either. DH has almost always traveled over Feb 14th, and didn't even realize it. When he's here, he usually picks up flowers for me, which is nice.

Heidi, glad to see you back. We have a Superbowl party with some friends. I don't think I've been to one in 15 years since friends of ours cancelled theirs on the morning of the S.bowl because they decided to get a divorce! I'll never think of superbowl without thinking of that.

Laura, nice Bunnybox, if I didn't tell you before.

Happy Sunday to everyone else, as well!
    LL

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    14 years ago

MARGARET sends to CAROL
    CAROL sends to HEIDI~ received
    HEIDI sends to THERESA
    LAURA sends to MELISSA~ received
    MELISSA sends to MARGARET

Dottie~ Wow! Good for you, having the will to quit your job! I've been there, and it's a difficult decision to make- even if you KNOW it's the right one. I hope you take time to enjoy your new-found freedom! :o) You deserve some relaxation!

Shirley & Remy~ Thanks for stopping in! It's always wonderful to hear from ya'll. I know you're always busy, so I doubly appreciate your posts. Hugs to you two! :o)

Heidi & Carol~ I think you should share some pictures of that "boyfriend"! I have to be suspicious of any "male" that claims to smell good & actually LISTEN to you. LOL! (Carol~ You got any more of those lying around??!)

Jeanne~ I asked hubby this morning if he had any big plans for next weekend. By the way he stammered and that bug-eyed look on his face, I can tell he'd totally forgotten! LOL Oh Well. He usually doesn't remember until the day after, when his MOM calls to ask what he did for me. Good ol' MIL! :O) Still keepin' him in line after all these years!

Margaret (and everyone!)~ Thank you for the prayers & thoughts. I hope you know how much I appreciate them. I am always amazed by the understanding that other women have when it comes to these issues. I (and I'm sure others as well) always think that I'm alone & no one could possibly understand or care...but I'm always proved wrong, too. Thank goodness! (not that others have been there, but that we don't have to go through things alone) I've just been too ashamed to ask for help. I'm trying to learn how to, though.

Ok, one of my darling children is screaming up a storm outside (not a HURT scream, just a really REALLY ticked off scream...you other moms know what I mean!). I should go see what's wrong before the neighbors get concerned! LOL

Hugs to all! Have a great Sunday!

• margaret_2007
    14 years ago

Hi, Ladies-I received the most lovely box from Bunny yesterday. It was a very busy day & didn't want to forget any thing she sent so waited until tonight to list all here:

A neat devotion book "Reflecting His Image" by Liz Curtis Higgs. If you haven't read any of her books, I highly recommend them. She is so funny & really loves the Lord!
    Plant markers in the cutest bag with Lady Bugs on it
    "Wonderful World" 750 piece puzzle-Strawberry & Cream diffuser kit-Sampler candle gift set in a darling hand made cloth holder for them-Sented red tealights,Wild Current-Hearts -Manicure Set-The darlingest cup loaded with tea, Camomile Mango,Sweetheart Cinnamon & White Chocolate Kisses & Hershey's Whipped Vanilla bar-And the cutest umbrella I have ever seen, all covered with flowers.
    Then a card saying I could have 3 daylilies from her garden during the 2110 growing season!!

My dear Bunny-You made my day & many days to come. When I have the tea, candy & use that darling umbrella, I will be thinking of you. Thank you so much. I am so pleased with everything. God bless you & yours!!

I didn't get your box out yesterday Carol but tomorrow is the day. We have winter storm warnings out for tomorrow afternoon thru Tuesday so must get it in the mail.

Hope all are doing well & staying warm. I think this is the worst winter any of us have had for some time. So much for Global Warming!!

Blessings to each of you- Margaret

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

Hi all
    Hope you had a wonderful Superbowl Sunday!! I of course ate to much and now feel gross. Guess I will have to work out twice tomorrow :o) Theresa's box will be going out by Tues. I just need to pack it all up.

Heidi

• Frances Coffill
    14 years ago

Good Morning GOLDEN GIRLS!!!

I just wanted to stop in and say hello! February is always a crazy time for me. This year is no exception, but I wanted to pop in and see how you all are doing!

Melissa
    Thank you so much for the Birthday card! It was very sweet of you to think of me in the midst of your BUSY BUSY life. You are a stong and beautiful person, you will endure and you will become 'more' because of the trials you face.

Dottie!
    Bravo! I wish you luck and happiness on your new path!

Shirley
    I hope the weather has been kind to you, we have been underwater for most of the past month, with more rain in the forcast. I lvoe surprise parties! Hope you will all have fun!

Margaret
    The weather has been awful everywhere this year! More than two years of drought in the south east foloowed up with a deluge! Back home (in Canada) my friends and family are enjoying a mild winter so far, I am sure global warming is a myth!

Carol, Heidi, Theresa, Jeanne, Laura, Remy, everyone!

I hope everyone is staying safe and warm in this crazy winter! I am continually amazed at the 'community' and the friendship that exists in this group in spite of the differences in our lives! Thank you all for brightening my life. When I am down and feeling isolated I just need to come here and visit to feel better!

Have a wonderful day!

Frances

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

Theresa your DC# is 420320039101150134711048934965 I hope it makes it there safely!!

Heidi

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Margaret~ I'm glad everything got there safely & that you enjoyed everything. I loved being able to share with you this month! :o) I wanted to send some practical & useful things for the "Dorothy" in you, but I also wanted to send some things that were just for enjoyment, too. I hope I was able to do both. Hugs to you!

Frances~ You are VERY welcome for the card! I made a promise to myself that I would try my best to remember birthdays this year & to send cards out when I could. I've always loved when someone remembered my birthday & sent me a card...it makes me feel special! So if I can do that for someone else, I really want to.

Heidi~ I didn't watch the game, but I ate enough to feel like I should've! LOL I go days without eating much, I get so busy I forget to eat! So when I have a down day, I usually make up for not eating by eating TOO much. It's a vicious cycle, and one I've got to stop. Definitely after the baby gets here, if I have any hope of losing this baby fluff. :O)

We woke up to snow again. It's just a dusting right now (about 2"), but it's supposed to be around 8" before the day ends. It's OK...at least it's a pretty snow this time. It's covering the trees, not the streets so much, and just pretty to look at.
    Now...ask me how I feel about it later this week, when we have even MORE snow, and I haven't been out of the house all week! :O)
    Have a great Monday, everyone!!

MARGARET sends to CAROL
    HEIDI sends to THERESA
    MELISSA sends to MARGARET~ received

• margaret_2007
    14 years ago

Hi, Ladies-

Carol-Your box is in the mail with DC #0308 2690 0002 1971 0912. I sure hope it gets out of this area before our large snow fall comes. We are forecasted for 6 to 10 inches. I want to get all my valentine stuff off as soon as possible. Hope you enjoy the contents. I had something else in mind but didn't find it.

Have a great week, Ladies- & remember Sometimes we need to make our own sunshine for ourselves & others. Let's do that! Blessings, Margaret

• brittneysgran
    14 years ago

Mom's Birthday turned out so nice. I had a hard time getting her to the party so finally had to tell her about it before we got there. Oh well it kinda surprised her.

Mom is the one in the middle front row. I am directly behind her with the silver necklace on. Sheila my DD is behind me with the long brown hair. My sister is in the front row beside Mom.

Frances-We are expecting more rain tomorrow. What a rainy Winter we have had. I hope I still have bulbs that have not rotted in all this mess. I now wish I had dug my dahlias and cannas and stored them in the basement but had no clue Winter would be this brutal.

Night All

Shirley

• luckyladyd
    14 years ago

Shirley, What a beautiful family you have. You and your sister look so related, as does your daughter! Don't you just love family photos! Your mom looks great, and you say she's 80!

I think we get the snow after you. The schools are telling the kids that there will be no classes on Wed. or Thurs. already!

Today I braved the outdoors and visited my bok choi and lettuces growing (more like hibernating!) in the little tent-thing in the yard. They have grown bigger! I harvested them and we will eat them tomorrow. Imagine, fresh produce from outside in February! I have decided I need more tent-thingys for next year! I love picking lettuce in the winter!

Does anyone know anything about planting hellebores? I have a shipment coming and am clueless about what to do with them in February! The company says they will ship this week. (I ordered them last Sept.). Help!

Sleep tight, all.
    Dottie

• lilangel181
    14 years ago

Shirley- What a fantastic family picture! (and that's coming from a photographer, so you know it's true... I just love generational portraits!) Was mom suspicious about anything before you had to tell her? I refuse to believe you lovely ladies are celebrating an 80th b-day.

Dottie- Yall must be expecting a lot of snow for schools to be announcing closures for the end of the week already! My middle school tried that once for a predicted ice storm, then it rained! Never again did they announce any closures until the roads became impassable or the teachers refused to drive in. Some of the older, non-air conditioned schools in the city (I grew up in Memphis, TN) would close in the spring due to high heat, though, and the running joke was that snow days were to be used at 95 degrees and above! Also, if I haven't said so already... congrats on making what sounds like a needed change!

I can't sleep. Is anyone else still around at this crazy hour? I'm just waiting on the snow and policing Zoe's food bowl from the resident piggy, Rufus. His tactic is to steal some food, get in trouble, sulk and apologize, then steal more food. He is such a kitty-piggy! Also, I'm planning out my next photo assignment for a class. Do you think the state's capital building would let me photograph the inside rotunda? I've actually never been there so I have no idea if security would allow all my equipment in! Sorry for the rant, the mind works in mysterious ways...

Well sweet dreams and stay safe on slippery roads everyone,
    ~Laura

• remy_gw
    14 years ago

Shirley,
    Love the pic! You all look great. That is too funny about having to tell your mom. Too bad you didn't have another celebration in the family. That's how we got my aunt to hers. She thought it was a celebration for her son-in-law.

Dottie,
    Someone is sending you plants now?! I guess pot them up and keep them in a cool spot.

Laura,
    I'm glad my dogs are well behaved about their food. Though when it is nice Sammie does like to steal rawhide chewies so that Charlie will chase her. She liked to be chased.
    Talk to you all later,
    Remy

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

Good Morning all

Shirley~what a wonderful picture!!

Laura~ I hate it when I can't sleep. Lately I have been up late reading. I am definitely dragging in the morning before I have my coffee.

Dottie~ I am jealous...fresh veggies in the winter!!!

I am hoping to get the kids to the barber before the snow comes. I have been putting it off long enough.

Sending Warm Hugs to everyone.

Heidi

• luckyladyd
    14 years ago

Laura, I too, hate it when I'm awake in the night. We actually just got a Zeo sleep monitor. It's soo cool! DH and I trade off using it. It tells us so much about how we sleep and when. Spits out graphs of sleeping cycles and adds up minutes of each type of sleep. Great toy!

Heidi, the fresh veggies are a surprise to me, too! I had no idea this little tent-like bed cover would keep things unfrozen through February in NJ! I have a few lettuce still out there also, and they are FINE! Seriously, next year I will have these things all over my landscape, planted in October with bok choi and lettuces!

Yeah, Remy, the plant company said they would be shipping me 90 plants during the first week of Feb. I had no idea we would be under four feet of snow! They haven't arrived, but I'm afraid they will soon. They are 30 hellebores, and 30 each of two other things that I don't remember! If I have to add 90 plants to the basement area, I will be swimming in plants! Worse than that, there will be two more orders coming in March! What was I thinking!

So we have serious snow. Again. It's pretty. Glad I have nowhere to be tomorrow. I lucked out with having done all my important errands today. Didn't really plan it, just worked out that way. Tomorrow I can piddle around with my plants and maybe do some laundry. Exciting, no? My volunteer training starts next week, so I will soak up leisure while I can.

Off to sleep, then, and wish you all a cozy evening.
    Dottie

• lilangel181
    14 years ago

Good morning! Thank you all for the sleepless night good wishes. I think it was just the change in weather poking at my bum leg. It added up to almost a foot of snow!

Dottie- What kind of volunteering will you be doing? Also, what kind of tents are those?? They sound like magic grocery tents to me!

Remy- Sammy and Charlie sound adorable.

Everyone be safe out there
    ~Laura

• luckyladyd
    14 years ago

Hey Laura, I'm volunteering at a place called Interfaith Ministries. They do a variety of things - wherever needed. I have signed up for home and hospital visiting, errands, driving to appts., pet care, meal prep, phone calls and forms and bill paying help. I will also serve in the office of the organization as needed. Training starts next week. I'm really looking forward to it.

The tent thingy is a raised bed frame and cover. I got it from Gardener's Supply. I think they are just great. I bought one for my sister for Christmas and set it up for her with soil, etc. We just had to build the base out of two by fours for the raised bed the same size as the frame and cover and fill it with soil. It is so sturdy! I am seriously considering getting more of them and using them for fall/winter harvesting. I just have to work out where I will put them :-)

I believe we now have over two feet of snow on the ground. Lost a couple of huge tree limbs, which seem to have come down on top my bottlebrush buckeye shrubs :-( Spent several hours trying to free the bamboo and stand them back upright, only to have them bent to the ground again a couple of hours later. Lost about half a dozen huge culms. So sad. Will have to go out and do it all again tomorrow so we don't lose more. The snow is so heavy, it's like a cinder block on the ends of each limb. Certainly gives me a workout! We have 200' of them about 20' deep across the back of our property.
    I've had my Tylenol and am now under a blanket with a glass of wine!

How is everyone else faring with the snow? It's quite beautiful. I hope to get some nice photos in the daylight tomorrow. Just hope we don't lose power. The lines are laden and hanging very low.

Cheers, Dottie

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

Goodmorning all,
    After all the snow we had yesterday, the kids only had a 2 hour delay this morning. I have an eye appt this afternoon, but then I hope to take the kids sledding.

I have never looked forward to a new pair of glasses before. I haven't had my eyes checked in almost 5 years. My glasses have been broken for the past 3 months. I just keep super gluing them :o) I am definitely buying the warranty!!

I am hosting the swap in March but it is Easter Egg themed. If it is ok I will post it after Valentines day...probably around the 20th.

I will check in later to see if Theresa received her box.

Heidi

• veeja11
    14 years ago

lovely family Shirley, lots of hot ladies there. I receieved a great box from Margaret todayeverything nicely wrapped in pink, card to rose on the top, spring dish towel, mini seedmaster, looks like a mini hypodermic needle, 10 pellet greenhouse kit, viral x hand santitizer, manicure set, mini office kit all in pink, tin heart, cute lil red vase, andes cho cherry candy, valentine socks. plant stakes 10 pkgs of seeds, commercial flowers and tomato's love them included all my favs. thankyou Margaret. I love my box

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Ladies~
    Sorry I haven't posted much this week- it's been a LONG one. I'll be glad when it's over! Lili fell down a flight of stairs one day, the next she had an iron dropped on her head (both were accidents- with the stairs, the girls forgot to close the door, the iron was knocked off the table when her brother reached for her). After all those bumps, I was concerned & have been watching her REALLY CLOSE. Head injuries scare the dickens out of me. But she's fine...thank goodness babies are flexible!!
    Now, Adora & Lili both have a cold. UGH. Adora gets it in her chest every year since she had RSV when she was 9 months old, we have to watch her carefully. She has difficulty breathing with it, so it's a 24/7 vigil. Lili is doing fine with hers so far. Just frustrated with the runny nose. I feel something coming on, too, so I've tried to take it easier this week. Not gonna happen, what with all the DR appointments & such!
    Like I said, I'll be glad when it's the weekend!

Carol & Margaret~ Great box! I love hearing about what everyone has received! Especially the candy! :o)

Shirley~ Wonderful picture! Family gatherings are great.

Heidi~ I'm looking forward to your swap!

Dottie~ I've seen some pictures from other GW'ers of the snow...all I can say is WOWIE. The last time I saw snow that deep was back in '96, I think. I was pregnant with our first, and my MIL was in labor with her 4th. Hubby & a neighbor had to dig out her car so she could go to the hospital!
    I hope things are going OK with you & that you don't lose power. Stay safe & warm!

MARGARET sends to CAROL~ received
    HEIDI sends to THERESA

• luckyladyd
    14 years ago

Hey Bunny, Oh my goodness! Your poor little one! And poor you, having to watch and worry like that. The weekend is almost here. Hang on! And don't get sick!

Yeah, the snow is incredible. I spent the whole day, eight friggin hours, digging up bamboo from under the snow and hauling it upright. 200 feet of it, 20' wide of 30-40' tall bamboo, all laying prone. I'll be needing a refill on the Ibruprofen. And bamboo is so ungrateful! Every time I helped one up, it slapped me in the face.

Haven't lost power, though. Glad for that. Cozy in my house now with the last (gasp!) glass of wine. DH will have to go out later!

Remy, seeds came already! You are fast, girl. Thanks for the extras, too. I am so looking forward to planting them. My 90 plants arrived yesterday. What am I supposed to do with them in two feet of snow?????!!!! NEXT year, someone please remind me, it is NOT time to plant in NJ in February!

Am needing to start dinner. Have a good night, all.

Dottie

• lilangel181
    14 years ago

Dinner is served, you sound like you need a break! *sets down a large Enchilada Casserole and a stack of plates and forks*

For everyone planning to hunker down this weekend, check out the Great Backyard Bird Count. Citizen-scientists all over the US and Canada will be providing bird counts to help the official scientists track bird populations. You can do as much or as little birdwatching as you'd like, and details on how are on the FAQ page. I wanted to share the link because I know a good number of us have feeders we watch anyway! Enjoy,
    ~Laura

Here is a link that might be useful: Great Backyard Bird Count

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    14 years ago

Wow...I've been away a few days and missed so many posts!

Sorry that I was not able to post yesterday when I received Heidi's great box! But it came right when I had been having a bad few days so was quite a pick-me-up and very appreciated Heidi.
    The great box included:
    a nice assortment of seeds in a cute little box
    2 boxes of no-bake cheesecake! (you must know me well!)
    Glad bulbs and Trillium bulbs!
    cholocate goodies (which are gone already, lol)
    magnetic notepad (I had just used one up)
    magnetic picture frame (great for the fridge)
    garden thermometer
    emery boards
    a hand-painted birdhouse and mini watering can (so cute)
    hibiscus scented candle
    a book (Gardening with Color - can't wait to drool over this)
    A t-shaped post-it pad and a "B" stamper!

I hope I didn't leave anything off. Thank you so much Heidi for the nice box.

I hope everyone is staying warm and toasty and is not buried too deeply under the snow :)

Theresa

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, we have this swap wrapped up already! Way to go, GIRLS!! :o) Ya'll are awesome, as usual!

Theresa~ Great box, I know you'll enjoy every bit of it! Sounds like it was good timing, too.

Dottie~ "And bamboo is so ungrateful! Every time I helped one up, it slapped me in the face."
    ROFL!! Oh, goodness...I can't help it....I'm still wiping tears from my eyes. That is some "liberated" bamboo! *giggle*
    It reminds me of when my brother held a door open for a "liberated" woman! She slapped his face & told him she wasn't helpless. Good grief! I told him to not let it bother him, she probably just wasn't used to southern hospitality. That's how we raise 'em down here- you ALWAYS open doors for ladies (and even a few gents now & then, if you're first in line). Now he asks before he opens doors.."Uh, are you liberated or southern?" LOL!

So I hope that DH replenished your wine supply for you. Sounds like you had quite the day & you certainly need some relaxation!

Laura~ The bird watching sounds like a great activity for the family. We have TONS of birds here- chickadees, titmice, cardinals (hundreds of these!!), wrens, bluebirds (funny time of year for them!)...so we will definitely have much to report! :o)

The weekend is almost here! YAY!!!

MARGARET sends to CAROL~ received
    HEIDI sends to THERESA~ received

• luckyladyd
    14 years ago

DH did, indeed, come home packing wine. Good thing. Went to bed at nine o'clock. Didn't manage enchiladas though, Laura!

Bunny, I can't imagine some deranged woman slapping your brother for that! That's not liberated; that's insane.

Carol, I don't do much on Facebook, but you sure do! Wow. How do you find the time to keep up! I can't even keep up on the little I do online, and I don't even have a job anymore!

This afternoon DH and I are going to the NJ Home Show. I am excited! They always have great stuff on display and give good discounts if you order on the spot. Got our attic fans and whole house fan there two years ago. Best thing we ever did for our energy bills.

Guess I'd better get out of my pjs.

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I agree, Dottie! Insane it was, but at least we can laugh about it now. We always tease my mother about it, though, because she was one of the LITERAL bra burners back in the day. That my brother grew up opening doors for women was something daddy instilled in him. He always said "don't matter WHAT kind of woman she is, son...she's STILL a woman...and we always respect a woman. Even if she don't act like a LADY."

Oooh! A home show! Love those! And you know, wearing your PJ's in public is a fashion trend around here. You see folks wearing their flannel PJ's & slippers through Walmart. I think it's just plain lazy, honestly. At least put on some sweats! LOL!

Okay, back to the homeschool stuff. My son said "mom, I need to look up the giglamesh epic" and I went & hid in the front room. REAL mature of me, I know. LOL But I didn't want to admit I had NO idea what he was talking about!! :P

• uptreasa
    14 years ago

Just checking in.

Shirley, what a nice looking group of ladies you are!

I think it's nice to have a door opened. Where I work, I open for everyone, when I can. And, I appreciate people doing the same.

Hope everyone is having a great day.

Happy Valentine's Day tomorrow!

Love you all,
    Treasa

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

Happy Valentine's Day to all My Bloomin' Friends!
    I hope you have a wonderful day.
    We had a winter wonderland here the past few days - soooo beautiful so I am enjoying looking out the windows. A rare treat for us to have this much snow and it was the white, fluffy, sticks to everything kind.
    Jeanne

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

Hi All
    I will be posting the March swap later today. I was going to wait, but then I asked myself Why??? :o)

Hope to see you all there!!

Heidi

• remy_gw
    14 years ago

Hi All,
    I sure hope everyone is ok. I really don't have time to read everything like I should. I'm leaving for Florida today. So I've been doubly busy!
    I'll talk to you all when I get back,
    Remy