SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joeblfsk

My pal Woody !

jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a )
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

“Where shall I begin, please your Majesty?" the little girl asked.
"Begin at the beginning," the King said gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”

I was recently reminded of a memorable encounter I had here in SW Florida a few years ago. Being a life-long city raised guy, I have discovered many new plants, birds, animals, insects and reptiles since arriving in South Florida in the summer of 1991. The most unusual IMHO, was the good pal I made one morning, right here in my backyard in my large mobile home park !

Was out back checking on my banana plants nearest to my next door neighbors' 4 ft high metal fence that ran almost the length of our property line. Over that fence, visible behind a couple of sparsely wooded 12 ft trees, was a noisy group of 7 or so White Ibis,... common around here and friendly, if a bit noisy, - they visit every home. Having completed my " inspection tour " I turned to walk back along the fence to the rear door of my home. I hadn't gone three steps when I noticed something moving out of the corner of my left eye. I stopped and looked to the left, and he ( or she ) stopped and looked to the right. What I was staring at, as I found out later, was a huge Wood Stork, mostly white but with immense black wings, - it easily stood 4+ feet tall !!!

I was dumbfounded ! I had never seen one of these guys before and knew absolutely nothing about them ! They don't exist on the upper West side of Manhattan for sure !! He looked a lot more sure of himself,..us two standing there staring at each other didn't seem to faze him one bit ! He was probably out schmoozing with the little Ibis, then decided to find out more about this other, much larger and stranger-looking creature !

A bit unhinged, I looked ahead and continued my walk back, a little quicker this time, - with the metal fence only 2 feet to his right and the same distance to my left ! Lo and Behold, he also turns HIS HEAD FORWARD AND CONTINUES HIS MARCH RIGHT ALONGSIDE ME !!! Now I am beginning to get somewhat nervous,..and amused at the same time ! This guy is a hoot ! So, for the hell of it, just to see his reaction, I stop once more,..and he does likewise. We both turn our heads and look at each other,..as before.!!!

" OK ", I says to myself,..." this has been hilarious, but has gone on long enough !" I turn again and march smartly towards my rear door with my new pal Woody right alongside ! Still standing close to the fence, I stop for the last time as the fence ends there, turning left on his side and connecting to my neighbor Tom's home. I again turn to the left to look in amazement at my new pal " Woody ", but this time he stops and makes a full right hand turn, looking directly at me,..LIKE HE WAS IN THE ARMY AND THE COMMANDING OFFICER SHOUTED " RIGHT FACE !! " Now I am beginning to freak out,..so I take a tentative step angling toward my back door, AND THEN, SENSING THE END OF OUR MEETING,..HE FLAPS HIS HUMONGOUS WINGS, AND IN ONE WHOOSH HE IS OVER THE FENCE !!

Now I am freaking out big time,..as I see him coming right towards me,..NOT WALKING, BUT TROTTING !!! The thought of this guy flying into my home flashes thru my mind as I desperately lunge for the door,.. grabbing the doorknob, and almost yanking it off as I fly inside with all the energy I could muster !!!

Poor Woody was left alone at the outside bottom step, looking lonely. A couple of minutes later I saw him amble away toward the front street, then he disappeared and I have never seen him or any other Wood Stork since. My one and only encounter was a memorable one however,..I was impressed and admire these birds greatly. A few of my friends hereabouts say they've seen them on a few occasions,..but am sure their experience wasn't as exciting as mine was !! lol

No one can ever say a negative thing about Wood Storks to me,..ever ! See, my best friend at one time was a Wood Stork,..yeah, my old pal " Woody ! "

A true story !
( pics are from internet )

Comments (7)