SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jkayd_il5

What are you reading?

jkayd_il5
7 years ago

I am reading We Were Liars by e. Lockhart. It is an interesting read. A bad habit I picked up when I was reading " real" books was to skip to the back and see how it ends. Now I only read on my kindle so it's harder to cheat. However I found a way and sometimes do. I think maybe this is one of the few books I'm sorry I looked. I didn't understand or see what was going on. Of course now I am picking up all the clues.

Comments (51)

• Annegriet
    7 years ago

The Whole Town Is Talking by Fannie Flagg.

jkayd_il5 thanked Annegriet
  • sleeperblues
    7 years ago

A Gentleman in Moscow. I'm simultaneously listening to it and reading it. The only reason being is that I bought it on audible and also bought a copy of it and mailed it to my son in Berlin. The box was not delivered to the right apartment and was sent back to us, so I opened it to throw away the baked goods and decided to read the book when I wasn't listening to while walking. Tacky to read his book, but oh well. Need to get through it because I have too many audible credits lined up.

jkayd_il5 thanked sleeperblues
  • Related Discussions

It's February.........what are you reading ? what do you recommend ?

Q

Comments (74)
    I finally have something to contribute. For the first time in almost a year I have been able to read, finish and enjoy books. I don't know what happened but I hope it never happens again. This months books include: The Weight of Snow - Christian Guay-Poliquin A Tale for the Time Being - Ruth Ozeki The Wonderboy of Whistle Stop - Fannie Flagg Setting Free the Kites - Alex George The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald (first time read) The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry - Gabriell Zevin Currently reading The Second Mother - Jenny Milchman I can't tell you how good it is to be able to practice my favorite hobby after so long. I wasn't idle in the book arena though. I read here and participated in the book titles game. I bought a fair amount of books as well. I also reserved books from the Library this week. They only had 1 available out of the 6 I requested so they just made some selections of other books they thought I might like. Something to be said for living in a small town and being chummy with the Librarians. They did pretty well. I loved all the books I read this month. I didn't post any review of them since I figured everyone has already read them. Glad to be back in the game. (knock wood)
    ...See More

What are you reading? October 2023 Edition

Q

Comments (58)
    Just commenting on The Marriage Portrait. I ldid like it, and while her writing is beautiful, it was for me, overload. I felt that if it could have been 1/4 shorter, I would have enjoyed it more. I absolutely loved Hamnet. faftris- thank you for suggesting the visit. I haven't been to DC in probably close to 30 years. DH suggests it every now and then and I keep finding excuses, but that does sound really interesting. I just started The Road to Bittersweet. I thought I saw it mentioned here, but apparently not. I don't know why it was on my radar. I remember whoever suggested it really raved about it. I'm hoping it gets there. I'm about 20% into it and not sure what to make of it.
    ...See More

February ......what are you reading !? ,

Q

Comments (56)
    Carolyn, I'm impressed that you would take on such a long book. I don't mind reading a long book if I anticipate a really good read, but the thought of nearly 1,000 pages certainly gives me pause. However, in my eyes, you are an amazingly fast reader and I'm sure that helps. I'm curious about the title, The Running Grave, does it have an appropriate meaning once you've read the book?
    ...See More

What Are You Reading? March 2024 Edition

Q

Comments (64)
    I've come to the conclusion that if I fill up my life with misery, the stories consumed through novels, then..... THAT IS MY LIFE. faftris...I'm so sorry for your losses. I understand that good writing and making the reader feel emotions for the characters misery is NOT the course I would wish to set my life on either. I also do not care to hear about drug addiction, murder, racism... or a multitude of other attrocities.
    ...See More
  • Adella Bedella
    7 years ago

I have about three books I'm reading right now. Lol! They are all related to my family history interests in some way. I read as I have time and a particular interest. I just started "White Trash: The 400 Year Untold History of Class in America" by Nancy Isenberg. I'm just at the first chapter. Hope it is good.

jkayd_il5 thanked Adella Bedella
  • Olychick
    7 years ago

I'm reading The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver. I never read it when it first was published, even though I usually love her books and seek them out. It is a story about Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo (historical fiction) and their relationship with Trotsky when he was exiled in Mexico. I am NOT a student of history but I am finding this completely fascinating and am learning a great deal. She is such a fabulous author, it's very entertaining and I can hardly put it down.

jkayd_il5 thanked Olychick
  • Alisande
    7 years ago

I'm reading The Midwife of Hope River, by Patricia Harman, who was a midwife for many years. I believe this is her first novel. She's a good writer, and I'm enjoying the book a great deal.

jkayd_il5 thanked Alisande
  • Elmer J Fudd
    7 years ago

I started the White Trash book but stopped after about one third. I believe in the premise of the book (the underecognized influence of "white trash" on America from history until and including the present day). But as far as this author is concerned, everything and everyone fell into the net she cast. It was a bit too overreaching and lost credibility for me.

jkayd_il5 thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • Rose Pekelnicky
    7 years ago

I just finished reading The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown for my book club. I liked it

jkayd_il5 thanked Rose Pekelnicky
  • aok27502
    7 years ago

I just started The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. It's an older book, I found it when browsing a list of books that everyone should read. I'm only a few pages in.

jkayd_il5 thanked aok27502
  • jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    7 years ago

I just finished Mortal Prey by John Sandford. Lucas Davenport is one of my favorite characters.

Next up is the book for our library discussion group: What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty.

I usually get through two books each week. When cruising, I average one every other day if we are at sea. It takes a bit longer if we are in port.

jkayd_il5 thanked jim_1 (Zone 5B)
  • jewels_ks
    7 years ago

I just finished Turn of Mind by Alice LaPlante and just started A Life Everlasting. Turn of Mind was a fiction book about a woman with early onset Alzheimer's, but I didn't really care for the ending. A Life Everlasting is a nonfiction book about a mother and her choice to donate her newborn's organs and her story of trying to find the recipients.

jkayd_il5 thanked jewels_ks
  • sushipup1
    7 years ago

Just finished JK Rowling's The Casual Vacancy. Loved it. Have checked out the first Robert Galbraith book (Rowling) from the library, haven't started it. Working on "The Attorney" as I work my way thru the Steve Martini books, which are all good.

jkayd_il5 thanked sushipup1
  • Adella Bedella
    7 years ago

Elmer, I haven't gotten very far in the White Trash book. I'm already thinking, I may the author's story to be a bit much. We'll see.

• wildchild2x2
    7 years ago

On my Kindle I am reading SGT. Reckless: America's War Horse. I am also reading a paper book, Little (Grrrl) Lost. Just finished a biker romance "trashy" book. Don't recall the title. I read all sorts of things. Reading is one of the best small pleasures in life. IMO

jkayd_il5 thanked wildchild2x2
  • sweet_betsy No AL Z7
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Whisper Hollow by Chris Cander, a new author, is a really good read about several families in a coal mining area in West Virginia.

I have read all three of Khaled Hosseini's books and they are wonderful. As a lifelong reader, I have always considered reading one of life's greatest pleasures.

jkayd_il5 thanked sweet_betsy No AL Z7
  • kris_zone6
    7 years ago

I am reading two books right now, A Man Called Ove and Red Notice by Bill Browder. I was told about Red Notice when several friends were discussing the fact that several people in Russia, around Putin, have been killed or died in a mysterious way.

• TulsaRose
    7 years ago

I usually find a particular author that has been recommended, go to the beginning of their writing career and buy as many of their used books I can locate using various online sources. Right now, I am plowing through the Myron Bolitar series by Harlan Coben. I also picked up several of his stand-alone novels to read when I get bogged down in the series. :-) So far, so good.

Prior to Harlan Coben, I was locked into anything written by Dennis Lehane. Love good, well-written mystery novels. :-)

jkayd_il5 thanked TulsaRose
  • fsajewic
    7 years ago

I just finished "Minding Frankie" by Maeve Binchy. Light, feel good reading.

jkayd_il5 thanked fsajewic
  • socks
    7 years ago

Kindred by Octavia Butler. I'm not a sci-fi fan but thought this one would be worth reading. So far, so good.

jkayd_il5 thanked socks
  • foggyj2
    7 years ago

Just finished Three sisters-Three Queens, by Philippa Gregory. Very good writing. It's written in first person, by queen Margaret of Scotland. She is the sister of Henry the VIII. It's historical fiction, but I learned a lot about the times and the family. At the end, the author gives her explanation of how she researched, etc. Good book.

jkayd_il5 thanked foggyj2
  • dandyrandylou
    7 years ago

Just finished Patrick Taylor's "An Irish Country Doctor" and found it a delightful read with bits of humor throughout.

jkayd_il5 thanked dandyrandylou
  • socks
    7 years ago

I've read some of that series, dandyrandylou, and enjoyed it as well.

jkayd_il5 thanked socks
  • nickel_kg
    7 years ago

One of my interests is memoirs written by ordinary people, especially in the late 1800's to the early 1900's. Such an era of change!

Lately I've been enjoying Ralph Moody's autobiographies. He came of age in the West, loved horses, father died early, worked as a cowboy at a young age, etc. I'm on the 3rd book. In this one, Ralph is 15 and just moved to his grandfather's farm in Maine instead of running away back home to Colorado. I vaguely know he became famous for acting or something at some point. Funny thing -- whoever checked out the first book, "Little Britches," apparently was reading it aloud to a young and tender audience. All the "curse" words are penciled out, and some whole passages spoken by the rougher cowboys ("By d - - m, lookit that devil horse go!") are annotated to "skip this"!

jkayd_il5 thanked nickel_kg
  • schoolhouse_gw
    7 years ago

I ordered a book from Amazon to download on the free "Kindle Cloud Reader". It's my first experience reading a book on my computer and although I'm enjoying the book, I'm not liking reading it on my computer all that much. Something to get used to.

jkayd_il5 thanked schoolhouse_gw
  • Kathsgrdn
    7 years ago

A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin and If She Only Knew by Lisa Jackson, a book I grabbed before work the other day because I forgot the other. Very slow at work especially since I'm on orientation and have no codes yet. Mostly listening in on calls to learn how to handle them right now. I've only been reading right before I fall asleep at night, but I think I'll be going through many more books at work now.

jkayd_il5 thanked Kathsgrdn
  • OutsidePlaying
    7 years ago

Just started The Dry by Jane Harper. It's a bit of a murder mystery set in Australia and came recommended by others on another forum. So far so good, it really drew me in.

A Gentleman in Moscow, was one of my favorite reads of the past year. I recently finished Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty, which started out a little slow to me, but I ended up liking it. There were a couple of hers I didn't care for so much. Then I read some light fare - Sophia Kinsella's My (not so) Perfect Life, and Elin Hildebrand's Perfect Day.

jkayd_il5 thanked OutsidePlaying
  • jkayd_il5
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Outsideplaying, I have Truly Madly Guilty downloaded from the library but it didn't get very good reviews so I started reading The Obsession by Nora Roberts instead. May need to start it next. I finished We Were Liars yesterday and would recommend it. Still thinking about it and that means to me, it was a good book.

• stacey_mb
    7 years ago

I'm reading A Great Reckoning by Louise Penny. Her books are enormously popular, but I've never been able to get into them, this one included. So back it goes to the library!

jkayd_il5 thanked stacey_mb
  • wanda_va
    7 years ago

Currently reading "American Assassin" by Vince Flynn. This is my first book by Flynn, and will likely be the last.

jkayd_il5 thanked wanda_va
  • Georgysmom
    7 years ago

Just finished My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante. A waste of my time. Loved A Man Called Ove and The Kite Runner. Also loved all of Vince Flynn's books but don't think I read American Assassin. Wanda, try reading his books starting with book #1. Vince Flynn died at a very young age and I'm sorry there will be no more books by him.

jkayd_il5 thanked Georgysmom
  • dandyrandylou
    7 years ago

socks - thank you for responding. Usually feel as if I'm talking to myself on this thread.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    7 years ago

In the Kingdom of Ice, the grand and terrible polar voyage of the USS Jeanette, by Hampton Sides.

jkayd_il5 thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
    7 years ago

TulsaRose - I just finished the latest Harlen Coben (Myron Bolitar) and it's very good. Since you like his others, you'll like this as well. I also like his stand alones.

jkayd_il5 thanked skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
  • TulsaRose
    7 years ago

skibby, Home is in the stack of "to be read" but there are several ahead of it as I'm trying to read the series in sequence. Looking forward to starting all the stand alones next. :-)

• Janie
    7 years ago

Harlan Coben in a big favorite of mine also. Back quite a number of years ago before anybody and everybody had a website and internet chit chat was quite so prevalent, I was inspired to email him one spur of the moment when I was reading my first book of his and I told him how much I was enjoying the book. He happened to be on line at that very moment and immediately responded with a nice thank you and wrote "now get off your computer and finish my book!". Was just a cute thing and I always remember how nice he was.

jkayd_il5 thanked Janie
  • jkayd_il5
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Tulsa Rose and Janie, I have never read any Harlan Coben books but see my library has 17 of his books. All but one is on waiting lists. I put Home and Fool me Once on my wish list. Thanks for the suggestions.

• JoanEileen
    7 years ago

Just finished the new C. J. Box, Vicious Circle, this morning. Immediately started the new Maisie Dobbs, In This Grave Hour by Jacqueline Winspear. Nothing much getting done around here today---too many good books waiting to be read.

jkayd_il5 thanked JoanEileen
  • mamatoad
    7 years ago

This past week, I read Man Overboard by J.A. Jance, This Life I live by Rory Feek and Fannie Flagg's I Still Dream About You. Don't know what I'll read this week. I have a huge stack to be read.

jkayd_il5 thanked mamatoad
  • tackykat
    7 years ago

Just started The Girl Before by J.P. Delaney over the weekend and am reading it fast. It is already optioned for a movie by Ron Howard. J.P. Delaney, according to the book jacket, is a pen name for a best-selling author of other novels. Interesting plot.

jkayd_il5 thanked tackykat
  • lisaw2015 (ME)
    7 years ago

Over the weekend I finished The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton, it was excellent. Last night I started A Man Called Ove, I think I am going to like it very much.

jkayd_il5 thanked lisaw2015 (ME)
  • cacocobird
    7 years ago

A Room of One's Own -- Virginia Woolf. Third attempt -- think I'll make it to the end this time.

jkayd_il5 thanked cacocobird
  • Hareball
    7 years ago

I finished Kisses from Katie: A Story of Relentless Love and Redemption. It's about a young woman that moved to Uganda after high school to do missionary work. Very good book. (audible book)

I'm now listening lol to The Highly Sensitive Person by Elaine N. Aron. I like the subject of the book but the book itself kind of drags. Even just listening to it seems to be taking forever.

There's a book after this that I want to read called Living With a Seal. It's basically about a rich guy that's bored and asks a navy seal to live with and train him for a month. Sounds entertaining.

jkayd_il5 thanked Hareball
  • phyllis__mn
    7 years ago

I've been reading series books a lot for the past couple of years......just reading the 11th in the Maisie Dobbs books, and have Peter Robinson's 23rd, When the Music's Over, waiting for me. I never used to do the series type of reading, but got hooked on Robinson's Alan Banks. Last year I read the Deborah Crombie's Kinkaid/James series and was happy to have a friend that was excited to get them all!

jkayd_il5 thanked phyllis__mn
  • Marilyn Sue McClintock
    7 years ago

I am almost finished reading O Pioneers by Willa Cather. I think I spelled it correctly, the book is up in my bedroom. I am enjoying it. I have had it and most of my books for quite sometime.

Sue

jkayd_il5 thanked Marilyn Sue McClintock
  • dandyrandylou
    7 years ago

"The Light Between Oceans" is the first novel of M.L. Stedman. Please don't miss it.

• dandyrandylou
    7 years ago

For a delightful change, read Janet Evanovich's "Curious Minds' and enjoy the humor.

• Rusty
    7 years ago

Thanks, Dandyrandylou. I'll be going to the library today, I'll see if they have it. I read a number of her books several years ago, and enjoyed them.

Rusty

• dandyrandylou
    7 years ago

Rusty, please let me know if you enjoy it - we all have different senses of humor. Now reading "Everything Everything" by Nicola Yoon - a story of a girl who lived in a bubble due to illness.

• fiveholetarget
    7 years ago

I am reading "Everything I Never Told You" by by Celeste Ng. I have not been able to put the book down since it is very good.

jkayd_il5 thanked fiveholetarget
  • bob_cville
    7 years ago

I just found a listing for a book in the library where I work titled: "Fox Tossing: And Other Forgotten and Dangerous Sports, Pastimes, and Games" and decided I simply had to pick it up. So far I'm somewhat disappointed, it is an alphabetical listing of various things people did for "fun", but many of them are gruesome acts of violence and torment and torture of various animals, that are best forgotten.

I suppose I could have guessed that from the title, but I expected something more light-hearted.

jkayd_il5 thanked bob_cville