SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bethohio3

Smart Home and wiring and electronics

Beth
7 years ago

lp10731 post this link: https://www.alairhomes.com/blog/infographic-the-smart-home-trends-benefits/

We're thinking about electronics and wiring and smart home automation and I keep feeling as if I'm missing something--so much of the automation seems unnecessary to me.

There are a few things I know we'll do:

• Automatic light in the pantry--when the door is open, the light is on
  • Motion sensor light in the utility room closet (with automatic turnoff)
  • Motion sensor light in the laundry room (with automatic turnoff)
  • Speaker in the kitchen that can play music from our network store. This will probably go above the cabinets or in a cabinet, rather than being builtin, but I could change my mind about that. I don't think we'll wire the whole house for sound--I generally only listen to music at home when I'm cooking (or packing)
  • Homelink for outside lights. I can control the outside lights of our current house with the 3rd homelink button on my car. I love not ever coming home to a dark house
  • Thermostat--we'll put in another Nest or something like it
  • Not sure how many TV/Cable jacks we'll do--we put a bunch in our current house and have one TV. It'll be a balance of money and logic :-).
  • Wired ethernet--both offices, certainly. Not sure if we need any more than that. However, with so much 'television' being available via streaming, it might make sense to put a wired ethernet cable anywhere you think you'd want to put a TV. (again, a balance for us)

DH (me, too, but mostly DH) is always leaving his office lights on. It'd be convenient to be able to turn those off from the car/phone, but it's not really something I care about that much.

Tell us about your automation/conveniences--what did you do and how is it working out? Was it worth it?

Comments (22)