SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oklamoni

I am back home, mothers condo is going up for sale (long)

OklaMoni
7 years ago

Both my Aussie sis and I flew back home on Monday. We feel, like we need a vacation. Both of us caught the Nora virus, and worked ourselves to the bone. Unfortunately the German sis (she just got a new job last fall, and could not get off to help more than on her days off) was right. The place was not fit for us to camp out in.

We drove for about 45 minutes, leaving early to miss rush hour traffic in the mornings, and returned back to the German sis' home daily, leaving by 3, again to miss the rush hour traffic.

Once we got busy, we also got lucky. A family friend told us about the multi generation house, where they could prolly use or sell books. My mother had a ton of them. She later apologized, for making us so much work, but saying, reading is a passion. Anyway, we called the mgh, and they sent us a couple of woman that hauled all of the books off. Took the 4 of us lots and lots of trips down the three flights. The organizer, to help older people, at mgh sent us some people that haul stuff off, cause they try and sell it flea market style, and they sent us 3 people on the day we hauled EVERYTHING downstairs.

We also listed the furniture on a craigslist type list, but only managed to sell one trunk, and ended up giving away the bench and table dining set.

We also had BIG garbage day (called sperrmuell) the same day we ordered the container to haul all the rest off. Thus, we got lucky and not to much ended up in the container, and thus, it was cheaper to get hauled off.

We hired a 3 people crew that emptied the basement storage area. This part was so stuffed to the ceiling we said, there wasn't room left to put a postage stamp in!

Once all the crap was gone, and the place aired out, Aussie and I slept there, instead of driving back and forth, while we cleaned, and did minor repairs.

Meanwhile, we also had a family reunion, where Aussies daughters came, and our brother and his boys. Lunch at a restaurant, and then visit mother in the hospital.

Yes, mother ended up in the hospital. She fell, broke her arm and cracked some vertebrae. She doesn't want an operation, which the docs insistently tried to get us to agree to. We choose to let mother make the decision, and stood behind her.

She is back at the nursing home, and actually getting around rather well, since we also insisted on getting more/better pain meds. No reason for mother to be in pain.

Mothers condo will be sold, as soon as it gets painted. We ran out of time to get that chore done.

All in all, a very trying, tiring 4 weeks. Both Aussie and I feel like we need a vacation.

Moni

Comments (21)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio