SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
m_gabriel

Need Help Choosing Freestanding Tub

m_gabriel
7 years ago

Anyone with experience to share re: freestanding tubs? Budget is under $2K for tub + faucet. I'm having trouble reading specs and understanding how they translate into 'will I like this tub or not?"

I will be the primary user of the tub in a master bath (total gut remodel; ceiling below is already open from other structural work so access is good). I'm 5' 1" and tub will be centered under 77" window. I'm trying to decide between 60" and 65/66" options. 66" will crowd the vanity area a little bit but will 60" look too small in the space and/or too small to be functional?

Top choice right now is the Wyndham Collection Melissa tub, which comes in both sizes (mainly for the sloped side making the most of 60" and the lower height to fit under our window); second choice for budget/interior space is American Standard Cadet; third choice is Wyndham Collection Soho in 60" for looks but not sure if slope is too high.

Should I be looking at gallon capacity to judge? Or is depth to overflow a better indicator? Or do my room dimensions more clearly support one size over the other? I think I need to go to 60" tub - true?

Here's a sketch from earlier in the planning. (In this one, I did not account properly for the width of the knee/hip wall so I'm not going to get 42" of shower space to the window and that wall will be right up against or under the window frame which is only 23" from the floor - those are problems for another post, though. Also, vanity/linen can go back to a more standard 22" if we go with a larger tub and tub faucet will probably be a freestanding floor mount.)

Thank you!

Comments (12)