SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cgigi1012

Help needed! Securing a freestanding tub to a tiled wooden platform.

cgigi1012
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

My tub is going to be located on top of a tiled wooden platform. My contractor says that the acrylic freestanding tub I bought needs to be supported by 4 adjustable legs and nothing else. The tub is a Piatti,BT1617. No instructions were included. The acrylic edge is very thin and delicate at the edges and is curved. I read everywhere on the web that one needs to secure the tub in order to not have any movement, otherwise the connections to the drain could be affected and future problems could happen. Only these 4 legs or points are in contact with the floor, nothing else, and there are no bolts or anything else to tie the tub down. The issue is that the tub is supposed to have zero separation from the floor.

How do these legs need to get secured to the platform? I called the store and they say that once we know the exact height each leg needs to be, to just sit the legs on some type of special silicone, but my contractor says that is not possible and it needs to stay loose. This tub is not heavy so I could bump into it and compromise its connection. The contractor is thinking of the cheap white silicone stuff contractors use to fill holes, cracks and patch things, but that does not make sense. Does any one knows what kind of silicone is this one?

I'm going crazy. I don't trust this guy anymore. My little bathroom project has been delayed for over 3 months for issues this guy created and I cannot control. I really need certainty but I feel he is giving me the easy way out but not the correct one.

If anyone has experience with these type of tubs and conditions, please chime in. Thank you.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths